no Michael Fremer in the July 2014 Stereophile

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
while I continue to subscribe to the print versions of Stereophile and Absolute Sound, typically I only scan thru the magazines and rarely read many of the articles or columns. the one exception is Michael Fremer's Analog Corner which I will reliably read every time, if not immediately when I get it.

so I was surprised to see it missing from the July Stereophile for the first time in my memory. also; he has no reviews either.

Fremer is still listed on the masthead as a Senior Editor, and there is no mention of any rift on Fremer's website, Analog Planet (not that there would be).

I don't agree all the time with Michael Fremer, but I do respect his passion and contributions to what is important to me in the hobby.....and hope to see Analog Corner next month.

not exactly a big deal, but worth noting I think.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
while I continue to subscribe to the print versions of Stereophile and Absolute Sound, typically I only scan thru the magazines and rarely read many of the articles or columns. the one exception is Michael Fremer's Analog Corner which I will reliably read every time, if not immediately when I get it.

so I was surprised to see it missing from the July Stereophile for the first time in my memory. also; he has no reviews either.

Fremer is still listed on the masthead as a Senior Editor, and there is no mention of any rift on Fremer's website, Analog Planet (not that there would be).

I don't agree all the time with Michael Fremer, but I do respect his passion and contributions to what is important to me in the hobby.....and hope to see Analog Corner next month.

Mikey and I were at a Lynn Stanley concert recently and he didn't mention anything. Perhaps he was just taking a break, maybe to work on Analog Planet or perhaps his trip to Munich preempted things. The recent AP was filled with lots of analog goodies.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

I noticed the same thing. Other than the Stevie Ray Box review, it's a throw away issue for me.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I noticed the same thing. Other than the Stevie Ray Box review, it's a throw away issue for me.
Of course, at less than $1 per issue, that's not a big deal...

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Maybe he was digitized, a la Tron!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010

I would guess it was due to all the traveling he has been doing. Munich / Axpona / Newport Beach. I do not see where he would have had the time to listen enough to submit a review during that time.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Didn't he master the soundtrack?

If I remember correctly he told me he had supervised the recording, but it may have been more than that. He played an early test pressing of the upcoming Audio Fidelity release and it brought back 80's flashbacks :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
And this is the month that TAS has their analog issue. Seems strange.

What's fascinating to me is that MF toured the SME factory after the Munich show and apparently did not do any listening in their famous music room. And on Analog Planet recently he referred to the SME V arm in a rather disparaging way as "a design from the 1980's". I thought that was a bit out of character.

Perhaps he is developing a feature article about the SME tour.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
...And on Analog Planet recently he referred to the SME V arm in a rather disparaging way as "a design from the 1980's". I thought that was a bit out of character....

Peter,

Can you provide a link?

Is it possible that the comment speaks to the longevity of the SME V (V-12) series and their staying power even today?

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I would guess it was due to all the traveling he has been doing. Munich / Axpona / Newport Beach. I do not see where he would have had the time to listen enough to submit a review during that time.

Jtinn,

That would have been my first thought.

Dre

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Mikey and I were at a Lynn Stanley concert recently and he didn't mention anything. Perhaps he was just taking a break, maybe to work on Analog Planet or perhaps his trip to Munich preempted things. The recent AP was filled with lots of analog goodies.

How was she live?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter,

Can you provide a link?

Is it possible that the comment speaks to the longevity of the SME V (V-12) series and their staying power even today?

Dre

Yes Dre, It is from Analog Planet in a post by MF in the comment section on the blog about the new SAT tonearm:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/swedish-analog-technologies-sat-tonearm-ready-2014-launch

The exact quote is: "One arm is the result of a design from the 1980's." It is a response to the previous comment from a reader of the blog. The reader writes something to the effect that for the same $15K, one could buy the SAT arm OR he could buy an SME V arm PLUS the SME Model 20 turntable. Fremer responds to that in the quote. I don't think it speaks to the longevity of the V arm. But perhaps I'm just misinterpreting the comment.

TheMadMilkman

Sep 7, 2010
It's an odd comment. The SME arm is from the 1980s, but the SAT "appears to take its general inspiration from SME's model V ... "

So they're both from the 80s?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
And this is the month that TAS has their analog issue. Seems strange.

What's fascinating to me is that MF toured the SME factory after the Munich show and apparently did not do any listening in their famous music room. (...)

Unbelievable! It is something that I dream since long - I even got the detailed plans to modify the ESL63 as Alastair Robertson-Aikman did for their room from his very kind son Robert. I do not remember now exactly who, but a known TAS reviewer was a the music room and promised a report on it, but never published it.
BTW, if someone wants a copy of the old articles about the music room, please PM a mail address.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gentlemen, let's please keep the discussion focused on the topic and not discuss system costs or comments that are personal in nature (including comments about the costs of systems at the WBF). Some off topic posts have been deleted so that we may continue on with the cordial discussion we have been enjoying.

Tom

Stereoeditor

Sep 6, 2010

so I was surprised to see it missing from the July Stereophile for the first time in my memory.

Michael's column in this issue was intended to be devoted to a review of the ViV Labs underhung tonearm. However, when he received the preprint, the distributor felt there must have been a fault with the review sample. Michael didn't receive the replacement in time for this issue, so a longer "Analog Corner" in the August issue will be devoted his experience of both samples.

also; he has no reviews either.

Since we hired Michael to edit AnalogPlanet.com, his reviewing commitment for Stereophile had to be cut from 12 products/year to six. His next full review for Stereophile will be of the Dan D'Agostino Momentum preamplifier in August.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-
Thanks for jumping in and clearing the air before the rumor circuit went berserk.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
John,

Thank you for noticing and for taking the time to answer my concern. I'm happy to hear that Michael will be strong in Stereophile in August....and I look forward to reading it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing