Michael Fremer’s Unequaled Intellectual Honesty and True Comparative Review Rigor

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Michael Fremer’s Analog Corner column in the April 2018 issue of Stereophile, titled “More Cartridges,” is a paradigm of intellectual honesty, self-reflection and an explicit acknowledgment of the legitimacy of the subjective preferences of others.

In re-reviewing the Kuzma Ltd. CAR-50 and CAR-60 cartridges Michael exceeds even his usual true comparative review rigor by re-hearing the cartridges in question using (1) an Ypsilon phono stage and step-up transformer, and (2) the voltage amplification input of the CH Precision P1/X1 he did not use in the first review, as well as (3) the current amplification input of the CH Precision P1/X1 he did employ in the first review. He also compared his reference Transfiguration Proteus D cartridge to the Kuzma CAR-60 on the same SAT tonearm on the same turntable, allowing a perfect apples-to-apples comparison!

I think the intellectual honesty, the introspection and the rigorous (and extremely time-consuming) comparative review technique displayed by Michael in this review is a benchmark to which all reviewers should aspire!

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Kudos, Ron. I don't often see reviewers praised on audio forums for excellent work.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am a big fan of Michael’s work at Stereophile and Don Saltzman’s work at TAS.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Frank Kuzma complaining quite vocally might have pushed Fremer to superficially re-review the Kuzma cartridges.
He still did not like them, that is for sure.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

That is far from “sure.” I did not read it that way at all. I think Michael’s comments were nuanced and specific, and he took pains to describe the sound he heard through the prism of different audiophiles’ subjective preferences. I totally understood what he was saying, and the different subjective perspectives from which he was analyzing what he heard.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Frank Kuzma complaining quite vocally might have pushed Fremer to superficially re-review the Kuzma cartridges.

XV. You once asked me about the sound of AS Palladian. Knowing you like the sound of AtlasSL which we both own, I said the Palladian is unlikely suit your preference. Now I listened to Mr. Fremer's recording of both proteus and Car60, although they were just heard through files and headphone, the comparison reminds me of the sound differences between Palladian and my other Japanese carts. I asked Dietrich of AS once who he contracts to manufacture the Palladian for him. He said it is a secret but the place is in europe. But if I were to guess, I would say Kuzma.

Kind regards,
Tang

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I have to say that I have a great appreciation of Michael Fremer as a reviewer, audiophile and music lover. I know that he can sometimes be abrasive, but I sense he has a lot of heart.

My other favorite reviewer is Martin Colloms. He can be very dry, but I always feel that I have gotten a true sense of the product under review.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
XV. You once asked me about the sound of AS Palladian. Knowing you like the sound of AtlasSL which we both own, I said the Palladian is unlikely suit your preference. Now I listened to Mr. Fremer's recording of both proteus and Car60, although they were just heard through files and headphone, the comparison reminds me of the sound differences between Palladian and my other Japanese carts. I asked Dietrich of AS once who he contracts to manufacture the Palladian for him. He said it is a secret but the place is in europe. But if I were to guess, I would say Kuzma.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tang, only one thing amiss with that plan. Kuzma have their carts made in Japan by an OEM. My guess is HANA cartridges make the Kuzma carts.

Btw, it was good advice. Never had another though about the Palladian since.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I have to say that I have a great appreciation of Michael Fremer as a reviewer, audiophile and music lover. I know that he can sometimes be abrasive, but I sense he has a lot of heart.

My other favorite reviewer is Martin Colloms. He can be very dry, but I always feel that I have gotten a true sense of the product under review.
+1 for Martin Collooms

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I've been reading Michael Fremer's reviews for a long time, very long time.
...And not just about turntables and tonearms and cartridges.

We all have our favorite audio reviewers, and over the years we get to know their style and see their audio evolution, and ours too through them.
Some periods over the span of say forty years, are more or less better.
Today Michael Fremer is a force to be reckon with, on Analog Planet, and abroad.
Me, I like him...his style, directness...all that jazz. I, and others, don't care what they say.
We all have our preferences and experience in music, in audio, in hi-end, in life, in audio reviews, in audio magazines, in audio websites, in audio forums, in audio friends, in audio reviewers, in audio dealers, in audio analysts, in audio jazz, ...Michael Fremer is one cool guy...no matter what others say...I don't care.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
+1 for Mikey AND he has a sense of humour-something that is often not found in our hobby.

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
+1, Ron. Not everyone shares your admiration for MF, but for them your post reads equally well as a piece of dark sarcasm... ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I may be one of the few not enamoured by MF.
Yep, I like his battling style and lack of airs and graces.
But after the somewhat embarrassing IMHO personal retraction of his words for a phono stage review he wrote in Stereophile in 2005, I kinda went off him as a reviewer.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I agree. Of course not everyone has the same opinion about Mike Fremer; not everyone has the same opinion about anything.

But how could even an unhappy curmudgeon misinterpret my post as sarcasm?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I guess I’m a perfect-word’in, fine-judg’in fella. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing