NFL Start Of Season

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Big congrats to the 49ers. Unfortunately my Pats couldn't come through last night, losing Talib really hurt. Thank god Pollard didn't make another career threatening injury to anyone :rolleyes: . I will be cheering for the 49ers all the way in a couple of weeks.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This should have been last years SB. "Kapernack": needs a nickname

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
One of my departed colleagues was an artist at unnerving prosecutors. One of his tactics was to never pronounce their name correctly or the same way twice.
iI he wins the SB I'll call him Mr. If he loses...:b

I will not be picking a winner this week. Congrats to Randy Moss and Carlos Rogers.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
NFL lifts suspension of Saints coach Sean Payton.......

NEW YORK — Sean Payton is back as coach of the New Orleans Saints.

Payton's season-long suspension for his role in the Saints' bounty program was lifted by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday, nearly two weeks earlier than expected.

The decision allows Payton to attend the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Saturday, where some of the top college players available for the NFL draft will be competing.

Payton, along with assistant head coach Joe Vitt, general manager Mickey Loomis, and four players including Jonathan Vilma, was suspended after an investigation found the club had a performance pool offering cash rewards for key plays, including big hits. The player suspensions eventually were overturned.

"I clearly recognize that mistakes were made, which led to league violations," Payton said in a statement. "Furthermore, I have assured the commissioner a more diligent protocol will be followed."

The suspension was scheduled to end after the Super Bowl on Feb. 3, but was moved up after Payton and Goodell met on Monday.

"Coach Payton acknowledged in the meeting his responsibility for the actions of his coaching staff and players and pledged to uphold the highest standards of the NFL and ensure that his staff and players do so as well," Goodell said in a statement. `"Sean fully complied with all the requirements imposed on him during his suspension.

"More important, it is clear that Sean understands and accepts his responsibilities as a head coach and the vital role that coaches play in promoting player safety and setting an example for how the game should be played at all levels."

Saints owner Tom Benson welcomed back his coach.

"We are all thankful that Sean Payton has been reinstated," Benson said. "We have a lot of work to do and we are in the middle of it right now."

There remains one outstanding issue for the Saints stemming from the bounty probe: What will become of the Saints' second pick next spring. As part of the bounty punishment, Goodell fined the Saints $500,000 and took away second-round picks in 2012 and 2013. However, Goodell left open the possibility of restoring the 2013 second-rounder and instead docking the team a later-round pick if he is satisfied with the club's level of cooperation in the bounty matter.

What the Saints do know is that the 49-year-old Payton is set to return to New Orleans for the next five seasons. Earlier this month he signed a contract extension running through the 2017 season.

The coach is the last person punished in the bounty probe to return to work. Before Tuesday, Payton had not been at work since mid-April, when Goodell rejected the coach's appeal of his suspension.

Loomis was suspended for eight games, Vitt for six and former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams remains suspended indefinitely

Vilma and current Saints defensive lineman Will Smith, along with former Saints Scott Fujita and Anthony Hargrove, were given suspensions of various lengths, but never served a game. Their punishments were overturned after lengthy appeals which also coincided with exhaustive litigation in federal court.

The litigation included Vilma's defamation lawsuit against Goodell, which was dismissed by U.S. District Judge Ginger Berrigan last week.

Payton has guided the most successful period in the franchise's history, leading the Saints to three NFC South division titles and four postseason appearances. Two of his teams advanced to the NFC Championship and the 2009 squad won Super Bowl XLIV.

He is the only coach in Saints history to win a Super Bowl. But his legacy was tarnished by the NFL's bounty probe, as Goodell ruled that Payton failed to exert proper institutional control over a cash-for-hits bounty program run by Williams from 2009-2011.

Although the Saints objected to the characterization of what coaches and players have said was nothing more than a performance pool for big plays, Goodell suspended Payton for the entire season.

Payton is 62-34 in regular-season games as Saints coach and 5-3 in the postseason. During the three seasons before his suspension, the Saints won 41 regular-season and playoff games combined, more than any other team in the NFL.

Payton has primarily handled the offense in New Orleans, teaming up with quarterback Drew Brees to break numerous NFL and club records. The single-season NFL records set by the Saints in 2011 included yards passing by a team (5,505) and a quarterback (5,476). The Saints also set a record for total offensive yards with 7,474.

Without Payton on the sideline this season, the Saints missed the playoffs for the first time since 2008. Brees remained prolific, but his 18 interceptions also tied for a league high heading into the final weekend of the season.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
One thing I enjoyed about this season is what I perceive the decline of the coach-centric to the player- centric era. Despite having two great coaches in the SB they are dependent on thie players. They get out of the way and let the players play. For me it is quite a refreshing change from the Patriots future hall of fame coach and his theory of the only player I need is Tom Brady. Every other position is plug and play. I hope this is a trend.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Steve-ESPN is reporting the name "Kapernickngi" ( kissing his biceps} is trademarked. SF has dropped to a 3 point favorite based

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Skins can mess up a wet dream.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Skins can mess up a wet dream.

The way RGIII was used this year put him at great risk of a short carreer a point I have made repeatedly. I also do believe that defenses will catch up and the hit on those who can't really throw will take them out of games if not the league entirely. Fortunately RGIII can throw. He is as a matter of fact an extremely accurate passer. His running will make him a double threat. At least let's hope so. The kid is too good to squander his talent with an offense that exposes him on every play.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Frantzz- I like the baseball rule. You hit our batter we hit yours

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

The problem is if my passer stays in his pocket the defense has to be careful how they hit him.. If he's a runner with the ball .. all bets are (almost) off. The hits RGIII was taking are those running backs routinely experience, They are built or build themselves for that kind of hits. They don't require the supple muscles and coordination to throw a football 40 yds in a 2 square foot spot.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Unnecessary roughness. A hit should be made to bring the runner down. In baseball noone knows whether the pitcher hung the curve ball or threw at the batter.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

iT'S OFFICIAI! ROBERT GRIFFIN III IS THE NFL OFFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

What makes you think that doesn't happen in football? Read Jerry Kramer's book! :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Right after Tyler Hamilton.:b

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The kid has charisma.......

Kaepernick vows to take 49ers back to Super Bowl

By ANTONIO GONZALEZ, AP

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — Still steaming over the Super Bowl loss, Colin Kaepernick packed up his belongings in the 49ers locker room and made plans with teammates to work out this offseason.

They won't have to wait long.

Kaepernick said Tuesday that he'll be training in the Atlanta area within a week, and the strong-armed and fleet-footed quarterback will bring some of his receivers along with him. All of it is part of Kaepernick's quick evolution from backup to starter that will continue when he enters training camp as the unquestioned franchise star.

After losing 34-31 to the Baltimore Ravens in New Orleans on Sunday, Kaepernick summed up his breakout second season ``as not being good enough.'' He said the Super Bowl loss will stick with him ``for the rest of my life.''

``It's good to get the experience,'' Kaepernick said. ``We should have won that game regardless, though.''

A man of few words and a lot of yards, Kaepernick's potential might give 49ers fans reason to be optimistic more than anything following the first Super Bowl loss in the franchise's storied history.

Kaepernick threw for 1,814 yards and 10 touchdowns with three interceptions in the regular season, starting seven games after taking over for Alex Smith, who will likely be traded or released in the coming months to clear salary-cap space. He also ran for 415 yards and five touchdowns.

Kaepernick really ran away with his new role in the playoffs.

As San Francisco started utilizing more of the Pistol offense he made famous at Nevada, Kaepernick threw for 798 yards and four touchdowns in three postseason games. He also ran for 264 yards and three scores, including a quarterback-playoff record 181 yards rushing in a divisional-round victory over Green Bay.

``He was fantastic the entire season,'' 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said. ``The stage was not too big for him. He competed at the highest level and played extremely well. He showed a lot of poise, a lot of leadership the entire game. I can't say enough, really. With Colin, it's always just appropriate.

``He's got the appropriate amount of competitive fire when you need competitive fire. He's got the appropriate amount of happy and joy when it's the right time to have that. He plays the game. You just really feel him playing the game, upset when it's the right time to be upset. And he does that with his own personality. I really believe that's the way people should play.''

Coming up 5 yards short in the Super Bowl will still haunt Kaepernick forever.

He added only a few more new details on the final, fourth-down play. He said he audibled to the corner fade to Michael Crabtree once Baltimore showed blitz.

Crabtree got tangled up with cornerback Jimmy Smith, and Harbaugh begged and pleaded with officials from the sideline for a flag that never came. Kaepernick remained testy and defiant when questioned about his decision.

``I'll take Crab one-on-one with anybody,'' he said, tersely.

A year after losing 20-17 in overtime in the NFC title game to the eventual champion New York Giants, one thing the 49ers no longer have to worry about is a long-term quarterback.

All of 25 years old, Kaepernick knows he has time to join Joe Montana and Steve Young as Super Bowl winners in San Francisco, which had been 5-0 in the NFL's marquee game. Being the only quarterback in 49ers history to lose a Super Bowl is still something that will simmer no matter how many titles he wins.

``We had a good team,'' Kaepernick said. ``We just weren't quite there.''

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
People aren't you putting a big load on the kid right now? Joe Montana? ! ? I mean ... really

Let see how he performs this year when he won't be a surprise to NFL defenses . He is good no doubt but people that have been following the game may remember another running QB with accuracy , he could even punt: Randall Cunnigham ... Kapernick is good but one of new class of running QBs. IMO the best of this class are #1 RGIII, he can run, is elusive (sacking him is very difficult) and has proven he can read defenses, followed by Russel Wilson .. I will not call either Joe Montana or Steve Young, not yet anyway..
On another front one ESPN analyst Merrill Hodges declared Joe Flacco the best QB in the NFL, in front of Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan and Jeff Rothlisberger ... :confused: I guess whatever you can say to raise some controversies ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing