New Think Piece From Roy Gregory

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) But right now, if enough measurements are made, we can tell a lot about how the amp will sound. IOW there is now a direct link between what we can hear and what we can measure. (...)

No doubt a lot of progress has been made - but the hard question is how close we are to the Carver dream - designing some hardware showing these measurements warrants us the same sound quality?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
This sounds familiar. I've been harping on this for years.

It sounds familiar partly because I've been listening to you and learning from you over the years.

But right now, if enough measurements are made, we can tell a lot about how the amp will sound. IOW there is now a direct link between what we can hear and what we can measure.

Vladimir Lamm might tell us the same thing. His circuit designs come out of mathematical models derived empirically. I wonder if there are enough measurements to take, from which his models could be derived.

It's the 'association' between measurement specifics and hearing specifics that ultimately counts. (Causality perhaps too strong a word.) If the claim of a particular association is made, isn't it the hearing that proves that. A fairly large amount of what you call evidence needs gathering before accepting that an association obtains.

Reactions: Atmasphere

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It sounds familiar partly because I've been listening to you and learning from you over the years.

Vladimir Lamm might tell us the same thing. His circuit designs come out of mathematical models derived empirically. I wonder if there are enough measurements to take, from which his models could be derived.

It's the 'association' between measurement specifics and hearing specifics that ultimately counts. (Causality perhaps too strong a word.) If the claim of a particular association is made, isn't it the hearing that proves that. A fairly large amount of what you call evidence needs gathering before accepting that an association obtains.
A lot that I have gleaned from LAMM regarding his model fits pretty well with the model developed by Cheever in 2001. They are both roughly aligned with the musings of Jean Hiraga. While this will never satisfy everyone…there is too much variance in the data and humans in general, it does provide a very good staring point that should sound more natural to most listeners.

Reactions: tima and Atmasphere

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
No doubt a lot of progress has been made - but the hard question is how close we are to the Carver dream - designing some hardware showing these measurements warrants us the same sound quality?
In terms of amplifiers, much closer than 20 years ago. I think there are some that are there right now.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A lot that I have gleaned from LAMM regarding his model fits pretty well with the model developed by Cheever in 2001. They are both roughly aligned with the musings of Jean Hiraga. While this will never satisfy everyone…there is too much variance in the data and humans in general, it does provide a very good staring point that should sound more natural to most listeners.

Nice to learn you technically know what is Vladimir Lamm model - all the Lamm experts in WBF are not so knowledgeable. Can give us some details on it and explain us in what points they are aligned with the TAD models of Cheever and musings of Hiraga?

Reactions: ddk

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Nice to learn you technically know what is Vladimir Lamm model - all the Lamm experts in WBF are not so knowledgeable. Can give us some details on it and explain us in what points they are aligned with the TAD models of Cheever and musings of Hiraga?

Who are all the LAMM experts on WBF? I only see very enthusiastic owners and two of them are dealers.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Maybe start a new thread about your Lamm topic, as Lamm models and circuits are not related to Roy’s article?

Reactions: Elliot G.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Maybe start a new thread about your Lamm topic, as Lamm models and circuits are not related to Roy’s article?

Just preparing your future move to Lamm and vintage horns - the AS2000 will ask you every morning about the cousins! ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Who are all the LAMM experts on WBF? I only see very enthusiastic owners and two of them are dealers.

Well, I expect a dealer to be an expert in what he sells and enthusiasts to know a lot about the brands they love!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Well, I expect a dealer to be an expert in what he sells and enthusiasts to know a lot about the brands they love!

You implied that there are a lot of Lamm experts on WBF but you’re not willing to answer my question.

I’ll answer yours. It is all relative. I don’t expect a LAMM dealer to fully understand the measurements and testing Vladimir Lamm made in Russia on his listening subjects and taking that information and creating an amplifier circuit out of it. I do not expect all dealers to be able to design amplifier circuits.

I don’t know what you mean about enthusiasts knowing a lot about the equipment they own. I listened to various models and made my choices based on the ones I thought sounded best with the rest of the gear. I’m one of the only people who owned a Micro Seiki SX 8000 and directly compared it to the American Sound and the AS 2000. I only know of two other people who have made that comparison. Does that mean I know a lot about those turntables? Not really. I have an understanding of how they sound different and an appreciation of how to put them together and set them up.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) - all the Lamm experts in WBF are not so knowledgeable. (...)
You implied that there are a lot of Lamm experts on WBF but you’re not willing to answer my question (...)

Sorry Peter, but in my sentence "all" means "the whole group of" not "many". And yes, my apologies, considering you are not able to debate or interested in my main subject I am not interested in your question. I was debating concepts, not particular people.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Sorry Peter, but in my sentence "all" means "the whole group of" not "many". And yes, my apologies, considering you are not able to debate or interested in my main subject I am not interested in your question. I was debating concepts, not particular people.

You are operating on the premise that there is “a whole group of LAMM experts on WBF”. Then you say those experts, whom you will not identify but you define them as experts, they “are not so knowledgable.” How can an expert not be knowledgeable? I cannot debate your concept because it makes no sense to me.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You are operating on the premise that there is “a whole group of LAMM experts on WBF”. Then you say those experts, whom you will not identify but you define them as experts, they “are not so knowledgable.” How can an expert not be knowledgeable? I cannot debate your concept because it makes no sense to me.

Please integrate my words with the original morricab technical post I was answering - it shows the concept we are debating. You are distorting the sense of my words quoting short parts out of context.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I did not say I technically know his model. There were some interviews I remember reading that mentioned some salient points that aligned well with what the others came up with before and after…

Reactions: zerostargeneral

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yeah that would be cool micro in Utah .
Id say keep the 50 K in the lamms and flip the wilsons for either Kharmas ( or may be Horns ).
DDK can sort him out with both lol.

Micro do you still have the Lamm ref pre ?

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yeah that would be cool micro in Utah .
Id say keep the 50 K in the lamms and flip the wilsons for either Kharmas ( or may be Horns ).
DDK can sort him out with both lol.

Micro do you still have the Lamm ref pre ?
As long as Micro does not go rock climbing with David while lecturing about the superiority of digital ! :eek: There is a long way down from a mountain ! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ddk and morricab

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
As long as Micro does not go rock climbing with David while lecturing about the superiority of digital ! :eek: There is a long way down from a mountain ! ;)

May be in person everything will be fine .
Besides the fact that humanity has faced bigger problems then the digital versus analogue issue .
Its all relative lol

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing