Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Apparently he loved the Wadax in every room he heard it. Strange how this wasn't replicated by the various reports from members here who heard it at Munich.

Reactions: christoph and Lee

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Apparently he loved the Wadax in every room he heard it. Strange how this wasn't replicated by the various reports from members here who heard it at Munich.

when it’s that expensive it will sound good in every room. Below 100k, only in one or two rooms. Below 50k, only at home. Below 10k, only in videos

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
no different than horn lovers, or SET lovers, or idler lovers, being attuned to what those do that others don't discern. but it's also fair to assign agendas. both are possible. at Axpona 2022 i heard Wadax in 2 rooms, and read what other's said about it. i respect that others did not always hear what i heard. and understand it.

when i hear rooms with familiar gear mostly i hear what they are doing that others do not to the same degree. or maybe i pay attention until i hear something familiar to understand.

but cynicism comes with the territory. Roy's strong positions come with a price. it's easier to not go there.

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I do find the comments from the show made by various reviewers on the same rooms with such dramatic contrast funny. Not funny haha but very peculiar. RH and JVS wrote show reports and reported very different findings. One video reviewer called the Aires Cerat best of show and RG called it terrible.
I went and had my own opinions which Ill keep to myself . I just think that maybe this whole show rankings, rating, awards etc is just not that helpful. It can't be helpful if we have such varied and different criteria that people are working with. I have said before how can one system be the chicken and the chicken shit at the same time.

I have decided for our company that we will do less shows as I really don't find them productive, have much ROI, or even worse help people learn or make choices. I enjoy going to Munich, I love the variety but if I was in the market to purchase I don't think they help a lot. I did add a line to our mix for the summer and beyond but it was not from listening to the products at the show but more from the talking with the company and confirming that my goals and their goals are aligned. I did listen a few times but I am 100 percent sure I can get more from the product than the show did. I invest my time and my money and if I am wrong its on me. My clients will make the final judgements with their checkbooks. can I get an AMEN.

there are no sound absolutes at a show. I think personally the whole Industry is doing it wrong but what do I know.

ok this I cant resist for the conspiracy theory guys.... Magico showed their new speaker with WADAX. OooPS did the earth just move LOL

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Well, I hope that the audio shows never end. The best in show is also very entertaining and tells me a lot about the person who made the choice. We all know getting good sound at a show is usually just a matter of luck. Moreover there is little chance that the audiophile will have similar components or room. Going to a show is just so much better than attending a dealership. Mostly because they are much more tolerant of tire- kickers like me.
I limit myself to one show a year and try to make a big event of it. I think it takes that long for the industry to evolve new products. I also get to listen to products I'll never own. On top of that my prejudices are always challenged. My ideas about size,price and format are often exploded. There is usually something for everyone,
I really enjoyed sitting at the bar and ragging on the big money products.
Last year at CAF I listened to a speaker from a great speaker company. The owner was there. He had to know how awful his speaker sounded. I sat there for a while hoping it would get better. It did not. Later on someone who should know better gave it best sound in show.
I do think the number of shows is becoming0 problematic for manufacturers and audiophiles. But we need to support the shows as much as we can. As for indivual opinions see my signature line.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

I do think the number of shows is becoming0 problematic for manufacturers and audiophiles. But we need to support the shows as much as we can. As for indivual opinions see my signature line.
I have a different opinion— I think we should support only a couple of shows. There are too many shows. Currently, I think in another thread, I counted seven which was probably not an inclusive list. Axpona is not going to go away, but I would sure love to see a replacement for RMAF and let those two be the two big shows in the USA. One in the spring, one in the fall. I also like the somewhat central locations vs the regional shows at the edges of the continent.

Lots of shows only serves the organizers and the big companies with huge marketing budgets. Of course, you would lose the show visitor who will only drive an hour to get to a show. But I do think the industry would be served with a very consistent scheduling of a couple big shows.

Possibly venues could be chosen where the rooms are big enough to allow a reasonable set up. My master bathroom is bigger than many of the rooms at Axpona. That’s crazy, and another reason why consolidating the shows makes sense. Bigger shows with more exhibitors and attendees is more attractive to the venue as well in terms of their own ROI.

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I do find the comments from the show made by various reviewers on the same rooms with such dramatic contrast funny. Not funny haha but very peculiar. RH and JVS wrote show reports and reported very different findings. One video reviewer called the Aires Cerat best of show and RG called it terrible.
I went and had my own opinions which Ill keep to myself . I just think that maybe this whole show rankings, rating, awards etc is just not that helpful. It can't be helpful if we have such varied and different criteria that people are working with. I have said before how can one system be the chicken and the chicken shit at the same time.

I have decided for our company that we will do less shows as I really don't find them productive, have much ROI, or even worse help people learn or make choices. I enjoy going to Munich, I love the variety but if I was in the market to purchase I don't think they help a lot. I did add a line to our mix for the summer and beyond but it was not from listening to the products at the show but more from the talking with the company and confirming that my goals and their goals are aligned. I did listen a few times but I am 100 percent sure I can get more from the product than the show did. I invest my time and my money and if I am wrong its on me. My clients will make the final judgements with their checkbooks. can I get an AMEN.

there are no sound absolutes at a show. I think personally the whole Industry is doing it wrong but what do I know.

ok this I cant resist for the conspiracy theory guys.... Magico showed their new speaker with WADAX. OooPS did the earth just move LOL
Isn't the Magico distributor also the Wadax distributor? If so it's obvious what is in the show system....

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have a different opinion— I think we should support only a couple of shows. There are too many shows. Currently, I think in another thread, I counted seven which was probably not an inclusive list. Axpona is not going to go away, but I would sure love to see a replacement for RMAF and let those two be the two big shows in the USA. One in the spring, one in the fall. I also like the somewhat central locations vs the regional shows at the edges of the continent.

Lots of shows only serves the organizers and the big companies with huge marketing budgets. Of course, you would lose the show visitor who will only drive an hour to get to a show. But I do think the industry would be served with a very consistent scheduling of a couple big shows.

Possibly venues could be chosen where the rooms are big enough to allow a reasonable set up. My master bathroom is bigger than many of the rooms at Axpona. That’s crazy, and another reason why consolidating the shows makes sense. Bigger shows with more exhibitors and attendees is more attractive to the venue as well in terms of their own ROI.
Small companies like me can’t do 7 plus shows . I know i’m only going to do Axpona and maybe 1 more like Capfest.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thanks for sharing... keep starting to read and getting interrupted. But I love the attitutude of Dennis Davis - an intelligent, experienced guy talking to intelligent people. Fresh breath from the manufacturer butt kissing exercise of most "audio journalists" go through.

Thanks to Roy Gregory and his team for this. Please keep this up

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

I did not visit Munich but definitely agree with Roy’s comment that the Tidal La Assoluta transducers are some of the most ambitious and best loudspeakers currently available.;) I have not heard yet the Tidal Bugatti speakers yet so do not know how good these really are.

Reactions: Audiohertz2

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
One thing that will never be properly explained by any impressions is the atmosphere and people that you have at the shows. After years in the industry, that is the most exciting part. That's why I always say, go to an audio show at least once to experience it!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
We all do not hear the same...which makes for a lot of the silliness here and in the industry, well...silly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing