VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Good piece of writing ! :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Roy’s basic point is a very valid one, if not a novel one. WBF has innumerable threads discussing whether we are here for the music or for the equipment or for some combination thereof. I agree with his point that we should be honest with ourselves, and with each other. I’ve always felt that we should not be embarrassed to admit that we enjoy researching and auditioning and purchasing and installing and fine-tuning and operating and maintaining the components.

I think the essay would’ve been a cleaner — and shorter — read if he had not combined the review methodology discussion with the main music versus equipment point.

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Roy’s basic point is a valid one, if not remotely a novel one. WBF has innumerable threads discussing whether we are here for the music or for the equipment or for some combination thereof. I agree with his point that we should be honest with ourselves, and with each other. I’ve always felt that we should not be embarrassed to admit that we enjoy researching and auditioning and purchasing and installing and fine-tuning and operating and maintaining the components.

I think the essay would’ve been a cleaner — and shorter — read if he had not combined the review methodology discussion with the main music versus equipment point.
I believe that recently I have seen a rise of the internet/youtube equipment grinders with little or no reference to the music. I believe this is a growing area and one that troubles me. For people to review gear as only thier opinion in comparisons to other gear with no musical context makes little sense to me.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I believe that recently I have seen a rise of the internet/youtube equipment grinders with little or no reference to the music. I believe this is a growing area and one that troubles me. For people to review gear as only thier opinion in comparisons to other gear with no musical context makes little sense to me.

How do the people to whom you refer describe sonic differences between components if there is no reference to music?

Reactions: Johan K

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
How do the people to whom you refer describe sonic differences between components if there is no reference to music?
They dont and that is the point. I dont get what they are doing and yet people will watch and follow.

Reactions: Johan K and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
They dont and that is the point. I dont get what they are doing and yet people will watch and follow.
Yes all you have to do to become a influencer, is be able to lift a new amp into your listening garage every week ! :rolleyes:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks Elliot. A bit over-wrought but an interesting read.

A bit? You are being generous! ;) In fact, after we filter the usual divagations - nice to read Rolex versus Swatch in place of the typical Rolex versus Casio - there is less real content than in our own threads in WBF about the main subject.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Yes, these poor pseudo reviews in the internet are disgusting. But we should remember that we still have a good number of excellent reviews with plenty of music context going around. Some people will object that they are not free and we have to pay to read them, but we IMHO can't expect professionalism and quality at zero cost.

The high-end is an industry and a business around an hobby, not volunteering.

caesar

May 30, 2010

A couple of points: (A) some the guys with youtube channels are popular because many of the current group of guys presenting themselves experts are disgusting scumbags, propagandists, misinformation artists, and liars by omission and by commission. (No berkeley reference dac was not, until recently, the greatest dac extant, magico is not the champ of the world, and wilson is not a time machine).

(B) As Roy said, many guys in this hobby are in it for the sound, not music (This is exactly why hifi brands like Wilson are so popular)

Last edited:
Reactions: Johan K

caesar

May 30, 2010
Nothing personal against Roy, but it's interesting he is criticing other review style when his work is so worthless. When he reviews a box speaker, like wilson, just substiture the brand wilson and instead put in Magico or another brand, and it all applies.

When he's talking about CH Precision, replace that brand with Soulution, Dartzeel, Consoulation, or anything else, and no one will know the difference.

And by not comparing gear and drawing sharp distinctions to differentiate products, he is just rambling for the audiophile masturbationalists, who uncritically accept everything. And he is just as much of the problem as the other guys he is picking on.

Great opportunity for Roy to correct course, start comparing gear, and become an elite, independent voice.

Will he take it?!?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Nothing personal against Roy, but it's interesting he is criticing other review style when his work is so worthless. When he reviews a box speaker, like wilson, just substiture the brand wilson and instead put in Magico or another brand, and it all applies.

When he's talking about CH Precision, replace that brand with Soulution, Dartzeel, Consoulation, or anything else, and no one will know the difference.

And by not comparing gear and drawing sharp distinctions to differentiate products, he is just rambling for the audiophile masturbationalists, who uncritically accept everything. And he is just as much of the problem as the other guys he is picking on.
How can you pretend these comments aren’t “personal”?

I think these comments are obnoxious and unfair.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
How can you pretend these comments aren’t “personal”?

I think these comments are obnoxious and unfair.
its just Caesar being Caesar.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hey Elliott.,
How's Roy helping you sell those Goebels? Effective, you think?

I'd bet Wilson more in a week than you sold all year. That's great writing and great championing of a brand!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing