New Q3/mini M-Pro?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
??? seems you are indeed right ack , and they admit basically it was a wrong idea.
Never seen it in a high quality design before., a tiny midrange membrane following a midrange signal is easily distorted by large woofer pressure playing at a lower freq with much more pressure
It will also affect high spls imo , as the mid will get distorted already long before the woofers do

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
If you want to have a meaningful and intelligent conversation post a picture.

I have a better idea. Lets put the money where the mouth is - let's make a bet. If there is a subenclosure (like in all hi-end speakers), you will send me a carate of single malt. If there isn't one, I will send you 10 crates.

Deal ?

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
??? seems you are indeed right ack , and they admit basically it was a wrong idea.
Never seen it in a high quality design before., a tiny midrange membrane following a midrange signal is easily distorted by large woofer pressure playing at a lower freq with much more pressure
It will also affect high spls imo , as the mid will get distorted already long before the woofers do

Disappointed to see you, a "part time speakermanufacturer", join the "ill informed" :( Have you seen the THD and frq response on the S5 (
http://www.soundstage.com/index.php...atid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153)? Do you think it will look like that if the mid shares the bass compartment? Just because in some review someone was explaining what a mid range compartment do, does not mean that this is the first loudspeaker to actually uses it (btw, ack, nice manipulation of quotes, luckily, Google does count the period after a sentence).

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have a better idea. Lets put the money where the mouth is - let's make a bet. If there is a subenclosure (like in all hi-end speakers), you will send me a carate of single malt. If there isn't one, I will send you 10 crates.

Deal ?

Adam,

Sorry to spoil your attempt to fill your cellarette :) but all this is due to a misinterpretation of the Magico claims - they refer to the "specially shaped sub-enclosure fashioned from a polycarbonate resin" as if it was something revolutionary, but this is is just a technique used by many manufacturers. IMHO it is what is causing this confusion.

My home built 40 years old KEF speakers used the special shape of a multi-section PVC drain to built the midrange chamber. The reason was just avoiding the resonance of a cylindrical tube.

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
We have a pair of Q3, driving them with the paired Devialet that make the D400. This 70K a pair is so far beyond our current budget as to be laughable but, even ignoring the now sadly downward market that a used Q series can look to, (end of the Q's) these must be exceptional.
There are pockets, very small, within the fabulous window that these speakers present and wonder what these fabulous artist/speaker/guys/gals are up to.
If I had the readies, sign me up.....!!!!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well c mon guys , somebody brought it up not me ,someone is either wrong or right here , be it a magazine or whatever
There seems to be only one solution here , somebody who owns this particular model takes a screwdriver or imbusset takes the unit out takes a pic and settles this like a man once and for all :D

Disclaimer : dont know about warranty issues after that .;)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Adam,

Sorry to spoil your attempt to fill your cellarette :) but all this is due to a misinterpretation of the Magico claims - they refer to the "specially shaped sub-enclosure fashioned from a polycarbonate resin" as if it was something revolutionary, but this is is just a technique used by many manufacturers. IMHO it is what is causing this confusion.

My home built 40 years old KEF speakers used the special shape of a multi-section PVC drain to built the midrange chamber. The reason was just avoiding the resonance of a cylindrical tube.

I know, I know :) If anything, I'm only surprised that any audiophile would insist it is otherwise.

If the midrange wasn't in the separate chamber, it would pop out on a first bass impulse. Just imagine how much air two 10" extremely powerful woofers can push. It is a simple logic. I'm not getting why it is so difficoult to visualise, even for those with zero knowledge about speaker design ...

And of course you are right. The whole concept of having a separate enclosure for the mid driver is decades old. Every manufactuer has been using it. I'm not even shure you can buy a 3-way without one ... unless it is an open baffle design or $5 boom-box from China.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Well c mon guys , somebody brought it up not me ,someone is either wrong or right here , be it a magazine or whatever
There seems to be only one solution here , somebody who owns this particular model takes a screwdriver or imbusset takes the unit out takes a pic and settles this like a man once and for all :D

There is no right or wrong. There is only one way it can be done. And beeing a 'part time speakermanufacturer' you should know better there are easier ways to check that. Just play a bass test tone (say 30Hz) and see if the midrange moves. Afterall, this is a sealed design, so mid would literally pop out if there was no hermetic seal between the two.

No need to disassemble anything. I would do it myself, by my S5s are gone.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think my test is better leaves no forumsdiscussion open , some mids have a low enough resonance freq to still move at that freq , it might be -10 db down but still

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I think my test is better leaves no forumsdiscussion open , some mids have a low enough resonance freq to still move at that freq , it might be -10 db down but still

That is true. But if it moves, it would move only very slightly, not pop out (due to the fact that filters do not have infinite slopes, so mid drivers also play some bass, although at the very attenuated level: the more attenuated the further away the bass freq is from the crossover point). The mid driver has much less cone area than the 2 bass drivers (like 1/6 or 1/8th - I don't have the time to do the math), so if there wasn't a seal between them a 1mm movement of the bass drivers would displace so much air that the mid would have to move by 6-8mm to compensate (if it had that much excursion).

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes , agreed , in a passive x over there is always overlap no matter how steep the slopes are chosen , and where do we define bass freq ?? if we say less then 200 - 300 hz is bass then i assume in a lot of designs both the mid and bass unit produce bass output.
I heard the S 5 s bass at a dealer half a year ago , on analogue vinyl and octave amps , sounded very good

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
On the M3: it looks like the bass/mid drivers are even more advanced than the M-Pro

The newly designed Magico six-inch midrange and seven-inch bass driver cones found in the M3 are both manufactured from Multi-Wall carbon XG Nanographene and a new proprietary ultra-stiff carbon weave which is 20% lighter and 300% stiffer than the cone material used in previous Magico loudspeaker offerings.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
(btw, ack, nice manipulation of quotes, luckily, Google does count the period after a sentence).

No idea what you are talking about?!?? Period after a sentence? Manipulation? I did cut out parts of the S3 article to focus on the key point, but the link is there for you to explore. But you don't need that at all - Magico's own write-up in the S5 MkII is all you need. Prove me wrong with an image.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
...Prove me wrong with an image.

We already showed you quite a few images of the speakers you questioned first (but you are obviously the type of guy who dispute an image as well :(). Here is another one, btw, clear as it can be, not that I think it will change your mind:
magico3_e.jpg

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
We've seen that, and I said it doesn't look like the midrange is hermetically sealed, mentioned holes in the plates, etc; then we shifted to the S5 MkI and would like to see a picture of that. But I think I am done with this discussion, as I have better things to do, and I am sure so do you.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
We've seen that, and I said it doesn't look like the midrange is hermetically sealed, mentioned holes in the plates, etc; then we shifted to the S5 MkI and would like to see a picture of that. But I think I am done with this discussion, as I have better things to do, and I am sure so do you.

I don't think we showed you this one (You are so locked in your position, are you even looking at what we are sending and saying??), it clearly shows the different compartments. I don't see any holes here, and I can assure you they are hermetically sealed, as said, they will not work otherwise. BTW, if you are still not convinced, email or call Magico, I am sure they will be able to clarify things for you (or maybe not even :().

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Fantastic design seing another pic , it is quite the work of a perfectionist , probably the reviewer got mixed up or whatever, what was the model in question actually , this looks like a Q 5 or something

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

What about my bet ? It is still valid. You are not chickening out, are you ?

Be a man.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing