new Nagra Tube DAC

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Nagra and/or your dealer will fix it. They are a way beyond first class manufacturer. I am sure they are also digging into their engineering and build teams to find out what happened. Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks, you're right. The service is top notch from Nagra.

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Hi Nagraphiles
a bit late to the party but I finally upgraded my MSP to the classic PSU for my HD DAC - wow ! what a jump in micro dynamics and detail ( improved engagement with the music) - power supply is such a big deal with everything !
Thanks to Nagra for a very reasonable upgrade path and the folks here who recommended it - I would heartily recommend the classic PSU for any Nagra kit

Phil

dsyzling

Aug 14, 2019
Reactions: pjwd

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Does anyone stack the Tube DAC under or over the Classic PSU or MPS power supply? The NAGRA manual says not to; but I have seen them stacked in many reviews. Unfortunately, in my media room, there is no space other than to stack them.

From the owner’s manual:
it is not advised to place other Nagra units above or below the CLASSIC PSU, as it features a large transformer. It is preferable to use a separate shelf for other devices.

Attachments

• BA52C54D-BFC6-4747-9B79-ECD0BF16DDDE.jpeg
    BA52C54D-BFC6-4747-9B79-ECD0BF16DDDE.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 12

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Does anyone stack the Tube DAC under or over the Classic PSU or MPS power supply? The NAGRA manual says not to; but I have seen them stacked in many reviews. Unfortunately, in my media room, there is no space other than to stack them.

From the owner’s manual:
I think this is more for the Classic Phono, as long as you don't have noise issues, then you're good. I stack my Nagra HD Pre and PSU, no issues, and the HD PSU has a bigger transformer than my Classic PSU....

Reactions: Zeotrope

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I think this is more for the Classic Phono, as long as you don't have noise issues, then you're good. I stack my Nagra HD Pre and PSU, no issues, and the HD PSU has a bigger transformer than my Classic PSU....
Thanks. Yeah, one of the main attributes of the NAGRA gear is the ability to stack the components, so I was surprised to read this in the manual. It's a lot of money to spend if the sound quality is compromised by stacking.

Any difference between the MPS and the Classic PSUs, in this regard?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks. Yeah, one of the main attributes of the NAGRA gear is the ability to stack the components, so I was surprised to read this in the manual. It's a lot of money to spend if the sound quality is compromised by stacking.

Any difference between the MPS and the Classic PSUs, in this regard?
I don't think so. My guess is the phono stage is particularly sensitive to noise from a large AC transformer close by. If you don't hear a buzz, then you don't have an issue.

The Classic is better sounding then the MPS, surprising what PSUs can do...

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Great, thank you. Yeah, it seems like the MPS is not really a big sonic improvement, if at all, except with the Phono (this is from reading the 6Moons review). But the Classic PSU is a big improvement.

I use a PS Audio P20 AC Regenerator for all of my components. Highly, highly recommended.

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Great, thank you. Yeah, it seems like the MPS is not really a big sonic improvement, if at all, except with the Phono (this is from reading the 6Moons review). But the Classic PSU is a big improvement.

I use a PS Audio P20 AC Regenerator for all of my components. Highly, highly recommended.
Surge I had the mps but not the level below so I cant compare .. however when you switched mps to battery mode there was a very clear jump in SQ so I expect it is worth the extra. I now have classic PSU and as everyone says its a step up again.
Cheers
Phil

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Surge I had the mps but not the level below so I cant compare .. however when you switched mps to battery mode there was a very clear jump in SQ so I expect it is worth the extra. I now have classic PSU and as everyone says its a step up again.
Cheers
Phil
I agree, the battery on the MPS was pretty good (especially with my former VPS phono stage). The Classic PSU is just great all around.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I don't think so. My guess is the phono stage is particularly sensitive to noise from a large AC transformer close by. If you don't hear a buzz, then you don't have an issue.

The Classic is better sounding then the MPS, surprising what PSUs can do...
I agree. I have mine stacked (MPS on top of the Tube DAC and front face plates aligned). There is no line noise even if I crank the volume to the max.

Yet this reviewer’s claims that “inner detail and harmonics” improved when he moved the MPS away from the Tube DAC is really perplexing — unless he also had line noise.
(https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016...r-closing-the-gap-between-digital-and-analog/).

If there’s no line noise/buzz, there’s no issue with leaving the MPS stacked, correct?

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
I agree. I have mine stacked (MPS on top of the Tube DAC and front face plates aligned). There is no line noise even if I crank the volume to the max.

Yet this reviewer’s claims that “inner detail and harmonics” improved when he moved the MPS away from the Tube DAC is really perplexing — unless he also had line noise.
(https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016...r-closing-the-gap-between-digital-and-analog/).

If there’s no line noise/buzz, there’s no issue with leaving the MPS stacked, correct?
Surge I have mine side by side on their nagra bases .. certainly no noise issues
My thinking on not stacking them is to gain the advantage of using either a fancy footer or the nagra base for each component ( whatever that may be :) )

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

You're ok. He could have had issues with his cables more than the MPS, just hard to say. Sounds like you don't have an issue !

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Very good review of the Nagra Tube DAC (with classic PSU) over at Enjoy the Music. Compared favourably to an EMM DA2, Tom Lyle seemed to prefer the Nagra.

Hi, Just wondering - Was Tom Lyle comparing the new Nagra Tube DAC with the EMM Labs DA2 or the DA2 V2 ($30,000)? The DA2 V2 is a different beast altogether. The improvement over the DA2 is dramatic. Tom seems to be still using the DA2 ($25,000). He make no mention of the DA2 V2 in his writings.

dsyzling

Aug 14, 2019
Hi, Just wondering - Was Tom Lyle comparing the new Nagra Tube DAC with the EMM Labs DA2 or the DA2 V2 ($30,000)? The DA2 V2 is a different beast altogether. The improvement over the DA2 is dramatic. Tom seems to be still using the DA2 ($25,000). He make no mention of the DA2 V2 in his writings.
A valid point, it's not clear that he has taken the upgrade, I would have thought he would have clarified that point if he had upgraded. I did check if they had reviewed the V2, which they have but the review was not by Tom Lyle, so may be he is still running with the DA2.

Reactions: Yuen A.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
It seems to me it would be best to follow Nagra’s advice not to stack the DAC over or under the PSU. Just basic best practices might indicate not having them stacked because of the PSU’s vibrations. I don’t think audible noise is the issue. They do look cool stacked, though!

Sniper17

Nov 27, 2018
It seems to me it would be best to follow Nagra’s advice not to stack the DAC over or under the PSU. Just basic best practices might indicate not having them stacked because of the PSU’s vibrations. I don’t think audible noise is the issue. They do look cool stacked, though!
Let’s us know, if u cannot hear a difference. Saving shelf space would be nice.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I have them stacked, using vibration absorption feet on both units. I cannot hear any adverse affects from stacking.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing