New Genesis Products at CES2014

zermatt

Oct 5, 2010
wash dc
Gary: Tell us more about the new Genesis ribbon tweeter reaching to 40kHz, and a new 6-inch ribbon midrange. Will you be using this ribbon midrange technology but in creasing the size for the Gen 2.2?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary: Tell us more about the new Genesis ribbon tweeter reaching to 40kHz, and a new 6-inch ribbon midrange. Will you be using this ribbon midrange technology but in creasing the size for the Gen 2.2?

The new Genesis ribbon tweeter is more of a ring radiator than the old Genesis tweeter. Because it's only a 4.5mm ring, it can disperse better.

The long ribbons have totally different radiation characteristics, so it isn't simple to just lengthen a ribbon.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The first day of the show is pretty slow, but we've already got great sound. It will only get better tomorrow, so I hope that the crowds come then.

Here's where the rubber hits the road - the G-force loudspeakers (many visitors said that the name was wholly appropriate because it is so dynamic), and the GRA1440 monoblock power amplifiers.

Big System.jpg

The rack with the Roksan Xerses with Artemiz and Magic Diamond as the source. The SMcAudio VRE-1C preamplifier, and my preamplifier the Genesis SMc-1 playing the role of the phono stage. The G-Source is the digital source.

Rack.jpg

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice! It looks like you hit the G spot; did you also play any strings in G Minor, like Debussy?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Since you're in Vegas how about Air on a G-String? :D

Hope you're having a good show Gary, wish I could be there!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's in D Major, but I'll play that!! I must have it somewhere in the G-Source or the 2 slaves I brought :D

Thanks, Jack. So far, I've met 5 or 6 WBF members already. Ken Golden even requested one of the albums that I've recommended here. Seems that WBF members have bought up all the available copies of Count Basie's Me and You. Looks like time for Chad to make a re-issue!!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Because of spammers in The Venetian, I was locked out of WBF the past few days, so - a bit of catching up to do. When a visitor asks for "something unusual" even though I tell them that I don't demo the usual "audiophile soundtracks", I pull out Theme from Shaft - one of the tracks from my test pressing of the Thorens 125th Anniversary box set.

shaft-soundtrack.jpg

And when asked for more, more, then this has to come out.

Heavy.jpg

Most of the time, I get a huge appreciative grin.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Something more unusual - Infected Mushroom. I play this band fairly often because it is excellent music with excellent production. Infected Mushroom is not a group of DJ's. They are the root and foundation of a lot of DJ music. Because DJs will use their music, sample and loop it and make their own remixes, if the source is not sufficiently high fidelity, the result will sound bad. Hence, to show off the fidelity of my speakers - especially the top to bottom coherence - if it is an audience receptive to something other than classical and jazz, I use this.

Folder.jpg

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Alison Krauss' voice brought a depth of emotion to Jacob's Dream that kept driving my sister to tears every time I played it. It took a few days to inoculate her enough so that she could stay in the room.

View attachment 13428

Good lord, yes. In the office, we played it quietly enough that it was background sound when working. Jacob's Dream is about two little boys getting lost in the woods and DYING! Sitting IN the room and with the sound cranked up, her voice just grabs you by the heart strings as it goes into that crescendo...

"Mommy and Daddy, why can't you hear our cries? The day is almost over and soon it will be night."

*sniff*

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
While I was being antisocial and irritating the neighbours with Infected Mushroom, two young kids came in as they said that it was awesome that I would play music like that. Then, they introduced this to me...... I think that it will be in my play list from now on:

datsik2.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The room next door also used some Genesis products.

Plinius Audio used the new Genesis Foundation Rack for their 'big' system - comprising the SA-Reference power amplifier, Kaitaki preamplifier and Koru phonostage. The Thorens TD350 turntable sounded fabulous with the prototype Ortofon Quintet Black cartridge. The guys kept coming over to kidnap my Touch Yello album to demo. Genesis Power Interface cables made sure that bass extension and resolution was top-notch.

Foundation Rack.jpg

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Now for something completely different, an album that was mostly made by one man - Doctor 'Crazy Joe' Tritschler. Dr. Simon Josef Tritschler teaches Engineering at the Wright State University, is an Emmy-winning recording engineer, an audiophile who manufactures a phono preamplifier, and a roots-based musician.

On this album, he plays (now get this!) drums, electric bass, electric guitar, acoustic rhythm guitar, twin electric lead guitar, electric ukulele, maracas, tambourine and hand claps. He also sings lead vocal, rhythm vocals and background vocals. It was recorded to 1-inch 8-track tape using an all-analog signal path with no coupling transformers or capacitors, no equalization, and "little" dynamic compression in a studio he hand-built from scratch.

I say 'mostly made by one man' because he had an accompanist on Hammond Organ. Buying the LP also gets you a free 24-bit 88.2kHz download.

What's most important is not how was done, but how fun the music is. A great album for a slow Saturday morning!!

View attachment 13128

I'll see Joe in a few days. Get to see his recent studio updates and do a little cartridge work!

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing