Analog Audio Design TP-1000

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
it's really more about the process of refinement, and engineering team development, not tech sophistication, that 30+ year product cycles of the best vintage machines represent. these machines were work horses and got better and better. they were industrial tools. and the best output electronics were developed at a time when tubes were the basis for the circuits. and physically they are larger with more robust build than these current efforts. 3 decades of commercial user feedback pushed them to be better and better. tens of thousands of machines. they can do 1/2" and 30 ips with appropriately large reels and do it all day long.

no one is now building a deck as large as a washing machine. is this cutting corners? maybe.

agree some of the pieces are measurably better today objectively. but not all. i know with ATR there are better newer bits here and there taking advantage of newer processes. we can't know 'YET' the reliability of these new decks. there is no data. 5-10 years down the road with these new decks then this changes.

for sure not all vintage choices are perfect or large and robustly built either. not all vintage decks were created equal.

ultimately it really comes down to priorities. if new, and simple, and elegant, and small footprint are the priorities then these new machines can be the right choice. but otherwise the top vintage choices with a history of reliability offer a more solid performance, and track record. and their ceiling for ultimate performance is higher.

Reactions: dminches

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The reason for the 'washing machine' size is because that's how large those machines needed to be! Remember that digital circuits were only about 20 years old when those machines were engineered. The first computers, as you know, were the size of a room and could do maybe one trillion times less than what a modern processor will do.
So I would not equate "size" with performance when it comes to modern machines.

Of course a modern ARM processor is the size of a postage stamp and will replace rows and rows of PCBs.
Of course a modern brushless motor will measure its speed thousands/millions of times a second with a tiny built in sensor array and not require light meters along the tape path...
This obviously shrinks the entire machine down.
And of course if you don't need recording or speed adjustment functionality, you have a vastly reduced footprint.

The fact is that controlling an (AC?) motor and ensuring it is spinning correctly is vastly simpler now, and better. I don't think there is any factual basis to state otherwise.

No one who has a vintage machine has seemed to have actually listened to a modern machine with an open mind, let alone had it in their homes next to their vintage machines for an extended period. I'm making the argument based on how we know technology has evolved over the past half century. I have heard from one of the engineers of a new machine who claims that it's far better sounding than any of the vintage machines, even refurbished and with modern outboard preamp.

What I don't like is the reluctance to be open-minded. I'm not sure how you can think that way, but hey - we all think what we want to think.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I mentioned several weeks ago that I would have the chance to meet Christophe Martinez and test his new tape deck. The meet and greet took place in Paris at Ana Migthy Sound (AMS). I spent two days listening to tapes and also playing with the tape deck myself during several hours. The touch screen is very intuitive and contains multiple functionalities.

IMG_5857.jpeg

IMG_5856.jpeg
Several tape aficionados had joined as well among others Hervé Delétraz from darTZeel who owns several Studer tape decks (A827, C37 and A807) and François Saint Gérand from AMS who owns a refurbished Studer A80. I have a fully overhauled and heavily upgraded A80 RC MKII with bespoke audio repro electronics as well as a Nagra IVS with a QGB module. My tape library comprises about 350 tapes and is still growing strong. Hence I was eager to discover this new tape deck.

Christophe Martinez has spent 4 years at developing this machine. Prior this endeavour, He worked on the development of flight simulators for the aeronautics industry and then joined the French tape manufacturing company Recording The Masters. He is low key/no show off and soft spoken guy who knows his stuff.

IMG_5851.jpeg

I must say that I was quite impressed by the machine: tape handling is the smoothest I have ever experienced. The repro audio was impressive and better than the Studer A80.

Hervé Deletraz had very long technical conversations with Christophe and was quite enthusiastic about the machine contrary to the Metaxas Tourbillon which he had in his room at the last Munich show and which left him unimpressed.

This is a repro only machine. Christophe is currently working at the recording version (no launch date announced yet) but he confirmed that the existing repro only machines could be retrofitted.

The machine comes with an optional remote control and is fitted with a RJ connector which allows Christophe to check the machine remotely. The tape deck in delivered in a sturdy flight case which can be quite handy should the machine need to be returned to Brittany for maintenance, repair or overhaul. I understood from Christophe that his US distributor will take care of the maintenance/repair without the need to ship the deck back to France.

IMG_5839.jpeg

IMG_5858.jpeg

Tu cut a long story short. I placed an order for a repro machine to be fitted with butterfly head, black side panels as well the optional rack kit (Christophe is currently working at getting a bespoke trolley). I expect receiving my machine in about 4 months mainly due to lead time for getting the butterfly heads from AM Belgium.

IMG_5859.jpeg

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Congratulations on the new machine! It’s nice to (finally) hear others acknowledge the benefits of new tech in this forum.
I almost ordered one, but in the end went with a Papillon. Enjoy it!

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I mentioned several weeks ago that I would have the chance to meet Christophe Martinez and test his new tape deck. The meet and greet took place in Paris at Ana Migthy Sound (AMS). I spent two days listening to tapes and also playing with the tape deck myself during several hours. The touch screen is very intuitive and contains multiple functionalities.

Hervé Deletraz had very long technical conversations with Christophe and was quite enthusiastic about the machine contrary to the Metaxas Tourbillon which he had in his room at the last Munich show and which left him unimpressed.

Interesting that he preferred the machine that was less than half the price of the Tourbillon. Did he mention the Papillon which is close to $90k?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
We did not discuss the Papillon.
I am discussing the Papillon now with Herve… and arranging for him to audition mine in France. Keep in mind that the Metaxas prices vary by region - speak to your local dealer before making a price-based decision.
I will update with his impressions of the Papillon in Paris in the Metaxas thread.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing