Analog Audio Design TP-1000

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Duly noted with thanks. If I am not mistaken, Charlie has challenged you on this assertion ;-) My tech who has been working for more than 40 years on Studer and Nagra machines is not of the same opinion either.

Being not myself a tech, I will certainly not challenge you considering your background as a manufacturer of high end audio electronics but you will appreciate that I trust the guy who is taking care of my tape decks.

I also put my Nagra IVS/QGB into the comparison but both the Studer and the AAD are better than the Nagra. The Nagra does not have butterfly heads...

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
dcc, it is not my intention to hijack the thread, so I agree, if someone feels like debating that subject we can do so in a separate one. Charles did not challenge me, he asked for my reason and I gave him part of it.

I am not surprised at your impression on the Nagra - it is a fine and very interesting machine, but it does not raise to the highest echelon of audio quality.

Reactions: stellavox

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
very interesting....have you tried the Nextgen reproboards in the A80RC?
No. Somehow my tech developed something similar several years before the Nextgen repro cards. It includes the modification of the repro card as well as a third card with a full balanced class A circuit which is inserted in the free card slot next to the repro cards. Some rewiring was necessary. The power supply card is also bespoke and is a copycat of the power supply of an Audio Precision but it take the space of three slots instead of one (second picture on the left vs. the original power supply on the right).

IMG_5828.jpeg

IMG_5829.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: stellavox

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
dcc, a question for you... I presume your Studer has butterfly heads - correct? So does your new one, but the commercial tapes are typically recorded with narrow heads. That incompatibility is something to keep in mind.
I asked John French of JRF Magnetics about that situation and he said the result will be about 1 dB more noise and mentioned nothing else. That sounds pretty harmless.

Reactions: dcc

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
The result of playing narrow tracks with wide heads will be more noise and more crosstalk - both negative effects. Whether this is harmless or not will depend on the user's sensitivity and perspective, but the real question is why do it? The only benefit of wide heads is a bit better S/N on tracks, recorded with wide heads, but still at the penalty of more crosstalk. There is no black magic there.

Last edited:

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
dcc, it is not my intention to hijack the thread, so I agree, if someone feels like debating that subject we can do so in a separate one. Charles did not challenge me, he asked for my reason and I gave him part of it.

I am not surprised at your impression on the Nagra - it is a fine and very interesting machine, but it does not raise to the highest echelon of audio quality.
The Nagra IV-S was designed primarily as a recorder. The playback function was really just for monitoring. I have both the T Audio and the IV-S, and there is a big difference between the two on playback. However, the IV-S is a fantastic recorder. Someone might be able to improve upon the playback electronics of the IV-S. I discussed this with Tim de P, but he sadly passed away before anything came out of it.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Adrian, that is very interesting, and perhaps when/if I retire, I will look into that. So far with all the Nagras that I had/have I have never taken apart their electronics. I worked on the tape transport, but those tightly packed modules make me claustrophobic from just looking at them.

Do you know if the modules in the IV-s are soldered in, or plugged in? Are they potted?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Betty Cantor-Jackson recorded hundreds of Grateful Dead shows on her Nagra IV-S. They sound great, especially given the recording environment and the fact that she was doing this on the fly.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
The dreaded Pawnshop was also recorded on Nagra, I believe... :(

I think the machine itself is good... as witnessed by the 2xHD recordings.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Well, the machine can’t be held responsible for the music it is fed!

Reactions: jonathanhorwich

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Back to the TP-1000 as the thread has drifted quite a lot.

The tech who is taking care of my tape decks just paid me a visit and inspected the TP-1000 inside out. He was quite impressed by the design, the parts being used, the tape handling and the sound. We made a direct comparison between the Studer and the TP-1000 (he used to own a recording studio) and he confirmed what I reported here.

Reactions: crosswind

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Adrian, that is very interesting, and perhaps when/if I retire, I will look into that. So far with all the Nagras that I had/have I have never taken apart their electronics. I worked on the tape transport, but those tightly packed modules make me claustrophobic from just looking at them.

Do you know if the modules in the IV-s are soldered in, or plugged in? Are they potted?
I looked through the service manual, but it only gave instructions on the mechanical parts. Looking at the inside of the machine, the components have not been potted. I don't fancy trying to take mine apart, but looking at the cards for sale on E-bay, they seem to have edge connectors which means they should be plug in cards. Given the kind of environments these machine often found themselves in (battlefields etc.), I suspect they should be easily field serviceable.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
I found the schematics, they are quite clever and complicated, due to many EQ options. If I decide to embark on that project, I would buy a beater machine and just to shoot for one EQ format.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing