New Genesis Products at CES2014

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
With the Christmas and New Year holidays just around the corner, we are heads-down busy preparing for the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Jan 7th to 10th 2014. We will be showing at the High Performance Audio exhibits in The Venetian, Suites 29-309 and 29-311.

For the second CES, we are showing together with our new North American distributor Rutherford Audio (so, you will also see/hear Roksan, Elac, Thorens, Burmester, Vertere and Plinius products in Suites #29-309 and #29-311).

As I have always done, I'll be sharing my play-list here. There are always some oldie's and there will be some great new demo music - with the emphasis on MUSIC.

I've been busy this past year in development. VERY BUSY. For the first time, we will show a system completely made up of Genesis components, comprising:

1) First off is a brand-new loudspeaker that was designed from the ground-up. In the Genesis hierarchy, this will be the 4-series. Call it the G-force as it is the culmination of my research into vector-force cancellation to manage vibrations in the loudspeaker structure (I started this with the suspension of the G5.3 and the side-firing woofer plus suspension of the G7.2f). It will have the new Genesis ribbon tweeter reaching to 40kHz, and a new 6-inch ribbon midrange. It will have dual 10-inch servo-controlled amplified woofers that will give it tremendous (and accurate) bass even in a good-sized room. It is a reasonable 48-inches (1.2m) tall so that it doesn't overwhelm the living room. As every unit will be custom hand-made (with the help of a CNC machine!), we make it with custom finishes. The prototype I have at CES shows off a beautiful bamboo/damask pattern. Pictures forthcoming..... but it does look far nicer in the flesh than in pictures.

2) The Genesis Reference Amplifiers have won numerous awards since they were released over 5 years ago. We updated the series with full differential amplification in two larger models - one delivering 1440W into the usual 4 ohm load of Genesis loudspeakers. That's right, well over a kilo-watt. The standard 360W stereo amp has been improved, and a new 760W model comes in between the two - good, better and best! In 2014, we will also make rack-mounted versions for home-theater installations. You can't install a tube amp or a Class A amp into a electrical closet, but as the Genesis amps are so efficient and generate so little heat, they will give you Absolute Fidelity sound quality without the heat penalty inside an enclosed space.

3) The Genesis SMc-1 preamp will finally be available in 2014. We will show this in prototype form (with a built-in phono stage) at the show. Steve McCormack, who was also responsible for the design of this product, will be with me in Vegas..... and he will bring his VRE-1C.

4) I have been doing demos with a music server since CES2006. In the first couple of years, other manufacturers, dealers and reviewers laughed at me. However, with 2 decades of experience in the computer industry under my belt, I absolutely knew that this would be the future. In no time, those who used to laugh would be asking me for instructions on how to build one. To help guide the industry, I've published my recipe and updated it several times in the past 5 years. Unfortunately, I still keep getting requests from customers and dealers to build one for them. They were either unable or unwilling to build one for themselves. I even conducted a "build a server" workshop for the local audiophile society. Despite all this, the requests haven't stopped and is accelerating with the popularity of high-resolution digital downloads. So I've finally succumbed and we will be putting the Genesis Muse into production in 2014. I will be showing the prototype at CES and look forward to comments so that we can deliver a solution that will satisfy most.

5) To hook everything up together, we need loudspeaker cables, interconnects and power cords. I've had my Absolute Fidelity Interfaces sort of out of sight in my "secret underground website" (www.absolutefidelity.com). Even hidden, they have been garnering a lot of interest from customers, reviewers and dealers. So, in the coming year we will be offering them to Genesis customers, dealers and distributors as a part of our regular offering.

6) The problem with being a loudspeaker designer is that you are at the end of the chain. Every show, we've borrowed equipment racks with varying degrees of success. When I reached the point where I was tired of the racks coloring the sound, I decided to design something new, something not done before. When you look at the microscopic-level structure and the molecular-level dynamics of High Molecular Weight Acrylic (HMWA), it has some fabulous sonic capabilities. After 5 years of research and testing, we are bringing this new rack to market this year with all its sonic benefits and clear beauty. It may look simple, but there is actually a lot of thought, physics and engineering behind the design. Again, I gave the design away in the past few years, but making it yourself is not straightforward, and making one-offs with a CNC contractor will end up costing way too much. In 2014, the Genesis Foundation Rack will finally be available for purchase.

Howzat?

Wishing one and all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Very interesting, and well done!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Being very busy would be somewhat of an understatement given all of the various things you are planning to bring to market. I think there are some very exciting times ahead for you and Genesis Advanced Technologies, and I for one am rooting for your success. Congrats Gary and have a tremendously productive CES 2014.

Odysseus

Jun 2, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Gary,

Congratulations on all the new projects and new products - are these the same I heard at the Genesis offices in Seattle? If they are, people attending CES are on for a great treat, they sound amazing! I won't be at CES, but hopefully I'll see you at one of other shows of 2014, while I do my daily visit to the Genesis room!

Ulises.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wow Gary! You're officially an end to end manufacturer now! Congratulations!

Looking forward to seeing your new products! Too bad I won't be attending CES. I'll just have to live it vicariously through you. :D

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks, everybody! It's exciting indeed - most of the stuff was out of necessity. I don't think that everyone will like "my sound", but when I couldn't find something I liked enough, I invented it.

Odysseus - yes, you did hear the full system when you visited, but I don't remember which iteration of the system it was.

Various members of the PNWAS executive committee have suffered through the ups and downs of design.... and it was only a couple of weeks ago when I thought that the design of the speaker was good enough to bring along to CES.

I'll bring a lot of the music I used to design with for demo at CES. I'll post as soon as I have some time.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
With the Christmas and New Year holidays just around the corner, we are heads-down busy preparing for the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Jan 7th to 10th 2014. We will be showing at the High Performance Audio exhibits in The Venetian, Suites 29-309 and 29-311.

1) First off is a brand-new loudspeaker that was designed from the ground-up. In the Genesis hierarchy, this will be the 4-series. ...It will have the new Genesis ribbon tweeter reaching to 40kHz, and a new 6-inch ribbon midrange. It will have dual 10-inch servo-controlled amplified woofers that will give it tremendous (and accurate) bass even in a good-sized room. It is a reasonable 48-inches (1.2m) tall so that it doesn't overwhelm the living room. As every unit will be custom hand-made (with the help of a CNC machine!), we make it with custom finishes. The prototype I have at CES shows off a beautiful bamboo/damask pattern. Pictures forthcoming..... Howzat?

Amazing! Great news...when do we get to see pictures? Before Christmas?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

For the second CES, we are showing together with our new North American distributor Rutherford Audio (so, you will also see/hear Roksan, Elac, Thorens, Burmester, Vertere and Plinius products in Suites #29-309 and #29-311).

As I have always done, I'll be sharing my play-list here. There are always some oldie's and there will be some great new demo music - with the emphasis on MUSIC.

I've been busy this past year in development. VERY BUSY. For the first time, we will show a system completely made up of Genesis components, comprising:

1) First off is a brand-new loudspeaker that was designed from the ground-up. In the Genesis hierarchy, this will be the 4-series. Call it the G-force as it is the culmination of my research into vector-force cancellation to manage vibrations in the loudspeaker structure (I started this with the suspension of the G5.3 and the side-firing woofer plus suspension of the G7.2f). It will have the new Genesis ribbon tweeter reaching to 40kHz, and a new 6-inch ribbon midrange. It will have dual 10-inch servo-controlled amplified woofers that will give it tremendous (and accurate) bass even in a good-sized room. It is a reasonable 48-inches (1.2m) tall so that it doesn't overwhelm the living room. As every unit will be custom hand-made (with the help of a CNC machine!), we make it with custom finishes. The prototype I have at CES shows off a beautiful bamboo/damask pattern. Pictures forthcoming..... but it does look far nicer in the flesh than in pictures.

2) The Genesis Reference Amplifiers have won numerous awards since they were released over 5 years ago. We updated the series with full differential amplification in two larger models - one delivering 1440W into the usual 4 ohm load of Genesis loudspeakers. That's right, well over a kilo-watt. The standard 360W stereo amp has been improved, and a new 760W model comes in between the two - good, better and best! In 2014, we will also make rack-mounted versions for home-theater installations. You can't install a tube amp or a Class A amp into a electrical closet, but as the Genesis amps are so efficient and generate so little heat, they will give you Absolute Fidelity sound quality without the heat penalty inside an enclosed space.

3) The Genesis SMc-1 preamp will finally be available in 2014. We will show this in prototype form (with a built-in phono stage) at the show. Steve McCormack, who was also responsible for the design of this product, will be with me in Vegas..... and he will bring his VRE-1C.

4) I have been doing demos with a music server since CES2006. In the first couple of years, other manufacturers, dealers and reviewers laughed at me. However, with 2 decades of experience in the computer industry under my belt, I absolutely knew that this would be the future. In no time, those who used to laugh would be asking me for instructions on how to build one. To help guide the industry, I've published my recipe and updated it several times in the past 5 years. Unfortunately, I still keep getting requests from customers and dealers to build one for them. They were either unable or unwilling to build one for themselves. I even conducted a "build a server" workshop for the local audiophile society. Despite all this, the requests haven't stopped and is accelerating with the popularity of high-resolution digital downloads. So I've finally succumbed and we will be putting the Genesis Muse into production in 2014. I will be showing the prototype at CES and look forward to comments so that we can deliver a solution that will satisfy most.

5) To hook everything up together, we need loudspeaker cables, interconnects and power cords. I've had my Absolute Fidelity Interfaces sort of out of sight in my "secret underground website" (www.absolutefidelity.com). Even hidden, they have been garnering a lot of interest from customers, reviewers and dealers. So, in the coming year we will be offering them to Genesis customers, dealers and distributors as a part of our regular offering.

6) The problem with being a loudspeaker designer is that you are at the end of the chain. Every show, we've borrowed equipment racks with varying degrees of success. When I reached the point where I was tired of the racks coloring the sound, I decided to design something new, something not done before. When you look at the microscopic-level structure and the molecular-level dynamics of High Molecular Weight Acrylic (HMWA), it has some fabulous sonic capabilities. After 5 years of research and testing, we are bringing this new rack to market this year with all its sonic benefits and clear beauty. It may look simple, but there is actually a lot of thought, physics and engineering behind the design. Again, I gave the design away in the past few years, but making it yourself is not straightforward, and making one-offs with a CNC contractor will end up costing way too much. In 2014, the Genesis Foundation Rack will finally be available for purchase.

Howzat?

I hope you design your Music Server so it can be used by those of us who aren't techno geeks :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
You will have a great time at CES Gary! - hope to see you there again and listen to some go your nice records!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I hope you design your Music Server so it can be used by those of us who aren't techno geeks :)

+1 I just read the Hifi Critic review of the new Aurender 20. Still keeping my eye on servers for long-term someday.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

After spending 20 years in the IT industry I've been wary of selling anything computer-based because of the support/training needed. I spent 3 years in the late '80s teaching school teachers and principals to use the computer, and ran the support desk for a while. I NEVER want to do that again.

My music server is plug and play. Nothing to configure. It plugs into your home network with a wire (no wireless - the sound performance penalty is too high) and you can use a selection of apps on Android or IOS to control it. Pick the flavor you like. It will have a "starter" DAC built in (balanced output only) that will get you going. It's transformer-coupled so that the noise from the computer won't intrude even into your analog rig, Myles.

Come to my room at CES and I'll show you how easy it will be to connect your smartphone to control it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
After spending 20 years in the IT industry I've been wary of selling anything computer-based because of the support/training needed. I spent 3 years in the late '80s teaching school teachers and principals to use the computer, and ran the support desk for a while. I NEVER want to do that again.

My music server is plug and play. Nothing to configure. It plugs into your home network with a wire (no wireless - the sound performance penalty is too high) and you can use a selection of apps on Android or IOS to control it. Pick the flavor you like. It will have a "starter" DAC built in (balanced output only) that will get you going. It's transformer-coupled so that the noise from the computer won't intrude even into your analog rig, Myles.

Come to my room at CES and I'll show you how easy it will be to connect your smartphone to control it.

Now we're talking!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Gary,

Are you running Windows on it, using a tricked out motherboard?

I'll gladly stop by your room at CES and have a listen!

thanks,
alexandre

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary,

Are you running Windows on it, using a tricked out motherboard?

I'll gladly stop by your room at CES and have a listen!

thanks,
alexandre

Please come by for a listen. I will be in Suite #29-309.

Instead of using Windows and stripping it down, I'm using Linux and building it up. That's the only way that we can turn this into an "appliance" that is plug and play and without all the geeky administrative stuff that Windows needs. It sounds better too!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Please come by for a listen. I will be in Suite #29-309.

Instead of using Windows and stripping it down, I'm using Linux and building it up. That's the only way that we can turn this into an "appliance" that is plug and play and without all the geeky administrative stuff that Windows needs. It sounds better too!

Excellent! Major points scored right there :)

thanks,
alexandre

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
What's your expected price range for the server?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey Gary, when you come into town for that Dragon install bring a server over :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I spy a planar midrange :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing