New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yeah they look more deliberate (if winning) or tentative (if losing) this season. Just missing some of that flow. Could it be Doc?

I don't know except on paper they should be doing a whole lot better

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Nail biting time for your team and mine Phil. I think Indiana has got the 10th pick locked already so wether they make it to the post season or not, they should be fine next year. I'm just glad they didn't get Stephenson back. Thrilled to see PG 13. Sadly the game wasn't shown here. I was watching the ticker tape as the Warriors were getting beat up by the Spurs.

Yes, Jack, tense moment for our teams to find a slot. Yeah, Lance is a head case. Saw parts of the 3rd and 4th, PG looking really good, and his shot still got the flow from way out. We need these kinds of guys in the league, not those crackpots who like to blow in ears. :D

And my C's are THE surprise of the lot. I think the acquisition of Isaiah Thomas changed the complexion of the team from a whipping boy to a fighting team. The guy reminds me on Tiny Archibald in the late 70s,small, quick, can slash, and can shoot from the outside. Marcus Smart, our 1st rounder is slowly gaining the experience and PG leadership as the games go on. And Evan Turner, I'd like to see this guy be our top scorer ala Pierce. And he can play 2 or 3. He just didn't fit in Pacer's type of basketball and I'm glad coach Stevens is able to make good use of him.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
.....as I sit here watching my Lakers once again falling big time to the Clipps. Yet as the other LA team and now the better LA team I still can't get excited about the Clipps

I can imagine the feeling, Steve. I will feel that way too if there was a Boston Clippers sharing the Garden with the Celtics - even with ex Celtics Doc, his son, and Big Baby. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't know except on paper they should be doing a whole lot better

True. They have basically the same core as when Vinnie left. Vinnie had 2 years of lob city burning up the charts during the regular season. Problem with Vinnie's Clippers was that they had a hard time during playoffs when defense kicks in.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I can remember when a win over the Lakers was the highlight of the Clippers season - rare as those victories were just a few years ago.

It will be more fun when both teams are competitive at the same time.

Didn't turn this one on until after the half as my wife wanted to watch the Cubs season opener against the Cards. This is supposed to be a revamped Cubs team but they lost this game 3 - 0. Sad for my wife - she's been waiting a long time for the Cubs to be good.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
To no one's surprise, the Spurs are playing like the defending champions and it seems no team can tear them. Yesterday's shredding of the Warriors show how deadly their team game is. Problem now for the contenders is how do you defend against the Spurs? Miami, as potent as they were defensively last season, couldn't find any means to slow them down and the Spurs are playing that kind of Finals basketball now, even with Tiago Splitter sidelined. The way Duncan is playing, I can see him playing 2 more years, without waning.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
True. They have basically the same core as when Vinnie left. Vinnie had 2 years of lob city burning up the charts during the regular season. Problem with Vinnie's Clippers was that they had a hard time during playoffs when defense kicks in.

The best evidence that Vinny del Negro was not a good head coach is that he hasn't even sniffed an NBA head coaching job since the Clippers let him go. Vinny didn't coach defense and his offense consisted of the pick and roll and Blake on the jam.

Doc's glaring weakness with the Clippers has been as a General Manager, not as a head coach.

Neil Olshey, now GM with Portland, put together that Clippers team, including Chris Paul and Deandre Jordan (2nd round draft choice). Clippers had much better bench players under Olshey.

Olshey left when Sterling screwed him at contract renewal time.

It will be interesting to see how long Ballmer will keep Doc in the GM role.

Steve Williams

The best evidence that Vinny del Negro was not a good head coach is that he hasn't even sniffed an NBA head coaching job since the Clippers let him go. Vinny didn't coach defense and his offense consisted of the pick and roll and Blake on the jam.

Doc's glaring weakness with the Clippers has been as a General Manager, not as a head coach.

Neil Olshey, now GM with Portland, put together that Clippers team, including Chris Paul and Deandre Jordan (2nd round draft choice). Clippers had much better bench players under Olshey.

Olshey left when Sterling screwed him at contract renewal time.

It will be interesting to see how long Ballmer will keep Doc in the GM role.

I agree

There is just something lacking with the Clipps that keep me from getting on their band wagon

For me the cinderella team is the GSW. I don't look at their getting beat up by SAS as too serious as they won a buzzer beater the night before but do they have the strength to play head to head with the big guys as finesse and speed is something they have plenty of

I stiil believe Kerr should be Coach of the Year and Curry is the MVP

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I know I'm the only one getting excited about this development, as the C's have won 2 straight and are now TIED for 7th place with 4 games left. We now have a Tiny Archibald character in Isaiah Thomas who drilled in 34 points against the Pistons last night, a Kevin McHale type who can shoot 3s in Kelly Olynyk, we have a Dennis Johnson type defender in Avery Bradley (who can also shoot), a Paul Pierce type in Evan Turner, so we just need a new Larry Bird in the here and now. :D

Steve Williams

Spurs on a 10 game win streak takes them from 8th place in the west to now 3rd. Gotta love how Pop brings this team to their stride at just the right time

And how about those Celtics Phil as they beat the Cavs and are tied with the Nets but still hold 7th

Standings as of yesterday show the Thunder as out (9th seed)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Spurs on a 10 game win streak takes them from 8th place in the west to now 3rd. Gotta love how Pop brings this team to their stride at just the right time

And how about those Celtics Phil as they beat the Cavs and are tied with the Nets but still hold 7th

Standings as of yesterday show the Thunder as out (9th seed)

That's right, Steve. Pop is just marvelous when it comes to the season winding down. Kawhi, I read, is now their designated 'leader' - and is playing like one. But, imo, the team's heart and soul is Tim Duncan. If you are one of his team mates, just knowing that Tim is there on the floor, or on the bench, makes you feel very confident that ultimately, your team is going to end up winning somehow. He's not the chest-thumping or trash talking type but something in him makes you want to perform better when you're with him on the floor, plus, he's the big fella that you throw the ball to when your need some big plays - he's done that all his life.

Sad to say, the Thunder will have a real hard climb without KD. But they've done a great job while KD has been sidelined. Thunder is KD, not RW. :D

I am tempering my excitement over this late turn of events for the Celtics. Lots of scribes have been writing about if Danny made the wrong or right move in assembling this suddenly winning team and foregoing the lottery picks. I'm sure any diehard fan of any team wants to win vs. going to the lottery. Losing night in and night out sucks. So no question for me there. And this ex-college coach of ours is proving the critics wrong. I look back during the NCAA March Madness and found out that Brad Stevens actually brought Butler to 2 consecutive Finals appearance, one of them a loss to Duke by just 2 points. His set plays after a time out for a score is now the talk of the press. Can he be the next Larry Brown? Big task. But I'm happy if they get in to compete in the playoffs. 3 games left, and Pacers and Heat are knocking on the final 2 slots. Go Celtics. :D

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Let's take a look at one Andrew Wiggins, the one that Cleveland gave to the Wolves for Kevin Love. His inspiration will be just that. Will the Cavs regret it?

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Clippers beat the Grizzlies tonight in an ugly game. Grizzlies were without three starters but played in their usual grit and grind style (Clipper fans would call it dirty). :D

The victory moved the Clippers into third place in the West with one game remaining against Denver.

Highlight of my day was encountering a four foot rattle snake when my wife and i were hiking this morning. We were walking in a dry creek bed when i saw the snake casually crawling across the sand about 15 feet ahead of us. That will stop you in your tracks....we waited, he basically ignored us and sllthered off into the brush.

EDIT: Clippers have two games left - Denver then Phoenix.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And the most likely opponent of the Spurs in the first round is Dallas. Texas Chainsaw Massacre III. :D

OKC and the Pelicans are fighting for the last playoff slot with 2 games left.

My C's control their own destiny, can clinch with 1 more win in the next 2 games.

Defending Eastern champions Miami may miss the boat for the first time since James joined them. The Bosh health issue was a big one..Wade should now look at retirement. :D

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I'm pulling for the Pelicans over OKC. Would like to see more of Anthony Davis - he is a superstar in the making. Also like to see Eric Gordon, former Clipper, in the playoffs.

Hope to see the Celtics make the playoffs, too. Their turnaround has started and they have a lot of great draft choices going forward. Best for the Celtics that Rondo is in Dallas.

Tried to feel sorry for the Heat but just can't do it. They had four great years in a row. Now, not so much. I do feel bad that Chris Bosh is injured but for some reason don't feel any sympathy for Wade.

In the West the Spurs just keep winning...along with the Warriors. Either team will be a very tough out for my Clippers.

Clippers are 9 - 1 in their last 10 games, second hottest team after the Spurs. Still concerned about the Clippers weak bench. Jamal Crawford is back from injury but still not in rhythm. They will need a couple of other second team players to step up but no one has so far. Spencer Hawes has been the biggest disappointment for the Clippers this season and it appears that Doc has very little confidence in him now - Big Baby is taking most of his minutes. That is definitely a vote of no confidence in Hawes by Doc.

Steve Ballmer has been keeping a very low profile of late - wonder what he is up to?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And I had just be told by my son the DRose is playing against Brooklyn tonight. And has been for the past few games in fact. Good to hear that.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Tried to feel sorry for the Heat but just can't do it. They had four great years in a row. Now, not so much. I do feel bad that Chris Bosh is injured but for some reason don't feel any sympathy for Wade.

Have to dig real hard to feel any sympathy for Wade. Despite his flashes of good play in the Shaq era in Miami, it's all washed out by him flopping, traveling, flying elbows, and breaking an elbow of Rondo. :D No love lost for Miami too. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And officially, the Boston Celtics are in the playoffs! Who would have bet on that last November. :D

I'm going to do readings on those huge number 8 seeds upsets. :D

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Who would have thought the Celtics would make the playoffs this year....Brad Stevens has done a great job. Danny Ainge, too.

Isaiah Thomas was a great late season pickup.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing