New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Clippers' Sterling berates NBA, wife in court

By LINDA DEUTSCH, AP

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling made a dramatic scene from the witness stand then an even more dramatic one from the audience.

In his second day on the stand in a trial to determine whether he can be declared mentally incompetent, Sterling shouted at attorneys for both sides Wednesday. Later, he raged at the wife who's seeking the right to sell his team.

''Get away from me, you pig!'' Sterling yelled from the front row of the courtroom seats when wife Shelly Sterling tried to approach him after her own testimony. A judge admonished him to make no more comments.

In her testimony that is scheduled to continue Thursday, Shelly Sterling declared that despite being estranged in many ways she loves her husband of 58 years and still acts as his principal caretaker, especially in medical care.

She said she was frightened at the changes she saw in him while watching a CNN interview where he addressed the recorded racial remarks that began the league's efforts to remove him.

''I couldn't believe it, and I started crying,'' she said. ''I felt so bad. I couldn't believe that was him.''

She said she suggested radiological tests or imaging to examine his brain, and was told eventually that he had early signs of Alzheimer's.

She became slightly tearful as she described her understanding of the disease, which becomes progressively worse.

In his earlier testimony, Sterling denounced both his wife and the league, saying he will never sell the Los Angeles Clippers and vowing a lifetime of lawsuits against the league.

''I will never, ever sell this team, and until I die I will be suing the NBA for this terrible violation under antitrust,'' Sterling shouted from the witness box.

He said Shelly Sterling had told him to have psychiatric and neurological exams only because he had turned 80, and she was concerned for his health.

''She deceived me. I trusted her,'' Sterling said. ''I never thought a wife wouldn't stand for her husband.''

Donald Sterling's lawyers are challenging the authority of Shelly Sterling under the family trust to unilaterally cut a $2 billion deal for the team with former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

Before she made the deal, two doctors examined Donald Sterling and declared him mentally incapacitated and unable to act as an administrator of the Sterling Family Trust, which owns the Clippers.

NBA owners are scheduled to vote on the Ballmer deal on Tuesday. It's also the day that Ballmer's offer is set to expire - and there is no deal without the judge's approval of the sale.

A judge had estimated that the trial would be done by Thursday, but said that is now looking increasingly unlikely, and with scheduling conflicts preventing the trial from continuing Friday, the proceedings could come precariously close to the Tuesday deadline.

If the sale isn't completed by Sept. 15, the league said it could seize the team and put it up for auction.

Sterling continues to be Sterling....only worse now due to his declining mental condition.

I keep hoping this situation will be resolved quickly and cleanly but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Clippers are moving along in free agency and with assistant coaching hires.

Kudos to Doc Rivers for keeping things together - so far.

Well with LeBron returning to Cleveland the Clipps are going to have to do some real big things

TBH this is redemption for James and I'd love to see the Cavs win a title and have the Cavs owner start sweet talking about how great he is again

I'd like to see LBJ go back to Cleveland. Grew up in Columbus and rooted for the Cavaliers back when Lenny Wilkens was the head coach.

I'd like to see LBJ go back to Cleveland. Grew up in Columbus and rooted for the Cavaliers back when Lenny Wilkens was the head coach.

With LeBron and their young stars I think the Cavs will be looking good. How good would it be to see LBJ knock the Heat out of the East Finals next year

With LeBron and their young stars I think the Cavs will be looking good. How good would it be to see LBJ knock the Heat out of the East Finals next year

I can imagine the first game intro in Cleveland, it should bring the house down. And with James gone, Bosh might be in Houston, and Wade is left to blend with with Norris Cole. :D I don't think the Heat will be in the East Finals. :D

And I read Cavs will try to get Kevin Love if James is in.

Ummmmmm.....I doubt the Heat will be it the finals or close to the finals next year! :) Or even in the playoffs if they lost LBJ and Bosch and whomever. There will be some improved teams in the East like Washington and Charlotte along with the Knicks, Nets, Indiana, Boston, Toronto, Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta, etc. No I'd say the Heat will be very lucky to squeak into the playoffs.

Ummmmmm.....I doubt the Heat will be it the finals or close to the finals next year! :) Or even in the playoffs if they lost LBJ and Bosch and whomever.

Interesting how no other teams seem to be knocking on Wade's door

Interesting how no other teams seem to be knocking on Wade's door

Yeah well his knees (how about that :) ) are a red flag. Another PRP injection in Europe for Wade in the offseason?

Yeah well his knees (how about that :) ) are a red flag. Another PRP injection in Europe for Wade in the offseason?

For me the bottom line is that LBJ and Bosh brought Wade up to their level of performance but IMO he is now just slightly better than average and is a dirty player to boot

For me the bottom line is that LBJ and Bosh brought Wade up to their level of performance but IMO he is now just slightly better than average and is a dirty player to boot

+1. And, he is the only flopper I know of on BOTH ends of the court. :D

I guess people forget that Wade carried the Heat to a Championship before LBJ and Bosh arrived.

IMO, even without LBJ and Bosh, the Heat will be a better team than the Lakers.

I guess people forget that Wade carried the Heat to a Championship before LBJ and Bosh arrived.

IMO, even without LBJ and Bosh, the Heat will be a better team than the Lakers.

Indeed they will be better than the Lakers Dan but I stand by what I said. Wade is over the hill but did win it for the Heat when he was in his prime. Now his tactics are dirty. Remember he broke Kobe's nose. Or how about his flops that are so obvious

I also believe he will re sign with the Heat because no team is talking to him. Without James and Bosh he is now only slightly better than average but that just my $0.02

If James formally signs back to the Cavs, the press con and welcoming event with Dan Gilbert should be something to watch. Gilbert should be erasing all those net articles on what he said 4 years ago after James left. :D It will be 'Prodigal Son Part 1' after 'The Decision 2'. :D

And it would be another sight to see how James, Kyrie Irving and Wiggins play together. Hope to see the real Bennett next season, if he plays to his potential or not.

Should he sign and seems he will, and when he brings a championship to Cleveland, that IMO will be his defining moment

That's true, Steve. Though it will not be easy, as team chemistry is yet to be formed, and also important, the players' chemistry with their new coach has yet to be seen as well.

That's true, Steve. Though it will not be easy, as team chemistry is yet to be formed, and also important, the players' chemistry with their new coach has yet to be seen as well.

It's a gutsy move for him now that he's won two and is chasing more rings

It's a gutsy move for him now that he's won two and is chasing more rings

And wise too, imo. Teaming with YOUNG stars, who in the next 2-5 years should blossom compared to let's say Dallas, where Dirk and Marion has only a couple of years left. In this regard, Miami faces a tough job to convince James to stay. What James wants is not just Bosh and Wade, but a retooling of the rest of the team or bench as a whole. Cleveland is above the rest in this regard.

Irving signs five-year extension with Cavaliers

NBA.com

While the team, Cleveland's fans and most of the NBA anxiously awaited a decision from LeBron James about where the free agent megastar will play next, Irving signed his new five-year, $90 million contract extension, a deal which will keep him in a wine-and-gold uniform until 2020.

The Cavs reached an agreement with Irving on the extension in the first hours after free agency opened last week. They weren't permitted to confirm the deal publicly until Thursday, when the league's moratorium ended.
The move to extend Irving continued what has been a memorable summer. The team hired new coach David Blatt, selected forward Andrew Wiggins with the No. 1 overall draft pick and then locked up Irving.

On Wednesday, they traded three players: guard Jarrett Jack, center Tyler Zeller and swingman Sergey Karasev to open salary-cap space so they can offer James a maximum contract.
"We are excited that Kyrie has officially committed to be here long-term with the Cleveland Cavaliers," owner Dan Gilbert said in a release. "The future has never been brighter as we are building the team and franchise for sustainable success. Kyrie is obviously a very big piece of our plan."

Irving averaged 20.8 points, 6.1 assists and 3.6 rebounds in 71 games last season, his third with Cleveland. The former No. 1 overall pick was also voted MVP of the NBA's All-Star game.
Gilbert made Irving the club's top offseason priority. The Cavs hoped in getting him signed to a long-term deal it would make them more appealing to James, who appears to have narrowed his choices to re-signing with Miami or return to Cleveland, where he played his first seven seasons as a pro.

Chosen first in 2011, one season after James left, Irving has averaged 20.7 points, 3.7 rebounds, 5.8 assists and 1.4 steals in 181 games. He's been somewhat injury prone, but the 22-year-old played in 71 games last season.
The one thing missing from Irving's pro resume is a playoff appearance, but the Cavs believe with a young nucleus of players - and maybe James - Cleveland can contend again in the Eastern Conference.

Before he committed to the Cavs on the extension, Irving had sent out mixed signals last season about his desire to stay in Cleveland. But he's been fully engaged in their plans and has reportedly made his own personal pitch to bring James back.

"We couldn't be happier to have Kyrie firmly at the core of our Cavaliers team and family for years to come," general manager David Griffin said.
"He's already proven he's among the best in the NBA and we're excited to watch his continued growth and success. To know that he is all in and shares our high expectations and championship goals is something we're extremely proud of.

"It is a clear reflection of how we all view our future together, with Kyrie fully vested in this franchise and the city of Cleveland."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing