Negative show report posts... enough is enough.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Seeing how this thread has drifted...... this is for JackD. Something to make with the Dulce de Leche that he has already done. I think that my weekend's cooking is planned. The condensed milk will go into the sous vide when I get home tonight :D

View attachment 20942

You are pure evil Mr. Gary Koh

Where to buy something like that...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I am off this thread.

It is a very seriously evil thread. I haven't had a thought about any sugar-based thing for 10 years.. The last picture from Gary L Koh was the last straw!

The Ice Cream reipes on top of that....:mad:

I am off and will go munch on a raw cumcumber ! :(

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Hi

I am off this thread.

It is a very seriously evil thread. I haven't had a thought about any sugar-based thing for 10 years.. The last picture from Gary L Koh was the last straw!

The Ice Cream reipes on top of that....:mad:

I am off and will go munch on a raw cumcumber ! :(

The thread forced us to split an ice cream from Handles yesterday, can we please get back to name calling!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It's interesting how drug-like sugar is.... :eek:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Frantz - put down that cucumber. This will help you keep from eating sugar...

bacon.jpg

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
There is always bacon flavored ice cream!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Seeing how this thread has drifted...... this is for JackD. Something to make with the Dulce de Leche that he has already done. I think that my weekend's cooking is planned. The condensed milk will go into the sous vide when I get home tonight :D

View attachment 20942

Oh my! :p

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd, Beaur - my gf always tells me I don't do my homework before travel, now she will know why the hifi forums are so useful

Enjoy! For some reason, we remained particularly impressed by their pistacchio...like NO PISTACCHIO we had ever tasted. The other fruits were wonderful, but with a great gourmet ice cream/gelateria place, we've had some great summer berries or blueberries or cherry gelato elsewhere before so it was not as much of a surprise as the pistacchio. Hope its still as good as when we were there last year.

There is always bacon flavored ice cream!

We made some yesterday

6 egg yolks
11/4 cups maple syrup (preferably Grade B, divided)
11/2 cups half & half
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp sea salt
5 strips thick-cut bacon

DIRECTIONS

In a medium saucepan, whisk the egg yolks and 3/4 cup of the maple syrup until combined. Place over medium heat on the stove; stir in the half and half and heavy cream. Continue whisking 10 to 15 minutes until a smooth custard forms that is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Remove from heat; stir in the salt, then strain the custard into a bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill for at least 8 hours or overnight.

Meanwhile, make the candied bacon: Heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil, then place the bacon in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes until nearly done and crispy. Drain the fat, then pour the remaining 1/2 cup maple syrup over the bacon; flip over the bacon to coat in the syrup. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F and bake the bacon another 20 minutes until cooked through and crispy. Transfer the cooked bacon to a parchment paper-lined plate to cool completely. Once fully cooled, chop the bacon into small pieces.

When the custard is fully chilled, pour it into your KitchenAid® Ice Cream Maker Attachment and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Stir in the bacon pieces , then transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container. Cover tightly and freeze at least 4 hours before serving.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Gelato shop in Boulder...

CherylJosie

Apr 18, 2015
When it comes to ice cream, my favorite is Haagen Dazs Vanilla Swiss Almond.

No gooey crap, just vanilla ice cream and chocolate coated nuts. YUMM!

After my heart...

As an Ice Creamophile luddite, I prefer to eat pure monocreamic or at most stereocreamic. Things just get too crazy in multicreamic and fluoride will not help.

OK can we close the thread now before the jokes get old?:p (that's not me poking my tongue out, I just paused typing for a brief lick)

Although I sympathize with his frustration I believe Peter's OP was unfortunate. Loved the Time cover though, if the thread produced nothing else of value that spontaneity was worth all the high emotions.:cool:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Oh heck no, it just got good, too much good information about cold stuff coming across here!

Never have learned so much about so many different things in one thread, heck it just got civil!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I think what this thread has become is hilarious!

Excellent ice cream rules!

Gary, your layered doughnuts / Dulce de Leche pastries look fantastic. We need that recipe!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing