My humble 2CH room!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't have much time as Football is about to start and there are 3 games on the agenda.

Here's a picture of that Jolida JD9v2 phono stage I picked up last week. The positioning is temporary.

Jolida JD9v2.jpg

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The AMP is ALIVE and well! Thank goodness!

I plugged it into another outlet and it powered up fine. It does appear that the Monster power center is the issue. I'm going to remove it and replace it a temporary solution, which is a Belkin Pure A/V powerstrip.

It does all seem somewhat odd to me as the Monster unit powers every other component just fine.

It is really weird that these power centers can act this way:confused:. Mine is doing exactly the same thing. All of the basic low powered units are working fine plugged into the power center, the amp is now a no go??
Jeff Rowland was spot on with his thinking on these units, IMO. I suspect the more powerful the amp, the more likely the issue is to pop up with the power center. What's so weird is why it was working fine for so long and then kaput???
Anyhow, glad to hear that you system is up and running again....Happy listening:)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I put my McIntosh MC122 on CAM to see if anyone would bite. I listed it for higher than I paid since the unit is almost mint. There is not a scratch on it. Anyway, someone offered me my full asking price, so I sold it. This means I'm without a system for the time being as my cables won't fit the vintage Pioneer SA-9500 II speaker terminals.

So, I'm in the market for a new power amp, but I would consider a nice integrated amp as well. My budget is $3,000 (MAX) and I'll likely go "used" since I can get a better bang for my dollar. I would also really like to try a tube unit this time, although I'm not 100% married to this want. I've got an email in to a guy selling his Audio Research VSi60 integrated for $3,000, which is a super deal. It would be a drop in power (from 80wpc to 50wpc) though. Is this something I should be concerned about with my Genesis G7s, which are rated at 89dB sensitivity? I'm also looking for another McIntosh, but have no idea what I could get in that price range.

$3,000 is a lot of money for me, so if I could spend less I'd certainly welcome it. I'll keep you posted as to what I find.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Look around for some PrimaLuna; major bang-for-the-buck in tube amplification, IMHO.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Thanks Rob! I'll keep it in mind. It doesn't have a MONO switch, which is something I'd prefer to have.

See if you can find an old Genesis I60 - and then you have $1,500 left over to roll expensive NOS tubes. They were produced to prove a point, and hence sold at no profit. The last one I saw on sale sold within a day! Listed 13th Mar, sold 14th Mar.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tu...ion-2013-03-14-integrateds-94582-san-ramon-ca

Let me know if you come across one yourself. I put a WANT AD on CAM.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm also considering this Power Amp from Vincent.

It comes in either Silver or Black.
SP-331 - Hybrid Tube 2x150w @8ohms

Vincent SP-331.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have changed direction completely!

I had pretty much settled on the Vincent SP-331, plus I could have auditioned some SET amps, but then I saw an ad. I knew right away that this was something I should try to get and responded immediately. After a few emails we settled things and I have made the first of two payments. I suppose I could have paid for it all at once, but I would prefer to raise some funds by selling some other gear I have. The seller was very accommodating to my request and understands completely. So I'm happy to report that I am now the owner of the Integrated amplifier shown below. I should have it within a few weeks.

Marantz K1 Pearl.jpg

I think this is a very special unit and should drive my Genesis G7.1s very nicely. Only 500 were ever produced worldwide and the reviews I've read have been quite good.
http://kipearl.marantz.eu/

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm happy to say that I auditioned the Marantz KI Pearl this morning and it is now in my setup. I'm going to be running a very simple system from here on in. Amp, TT and speakers. That's it. Nice, clean and compact.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm happy to say that I auditioned the Marantz KI Pearl this morning and it is now in my setup. I'm going to be running a very simple system from here on in. Amp, TT and speakers. That's it. Nice, clean and compact.
Wrong source ;) but otherwise just about perfect IMHO.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi John, congrats! That will be allot easier to transport to Calgary :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John, congrats! That will be allot easier to transport to Calgary :)

Thanks David! I'm really happy with it and glad I bought it. I have one more change coming (crosses fingers) and I have a tentative agreement with the seller. It'll be a turntable upgrade. More to follow. If this does happen I'm calling it quits. No more new gear...time to completely enjoy the music from here on in.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've had the Marantz PM-KI-Pearl for 3 weeks now and I'm very very pleased with it.

The build quality is superb with perfect fit and finish and not a blemish to be found anywhere. I used the internal MM phonostage for the first week and then my Jolida JD9 during the second week. I couldn't pinpoint any difference in performance although there probably were some, but my ears couldn't detect what those differences would have been. I took the Jolida out of the equation as a result and it has been sold. One less component to worry or obsess about.

The sound of this IA can best be described as slightly on the warm side of neutral. It is significantly quieter than my former McIntosh MC122 Power amp and PS Audio 4.6 preamp. This is most apparent during low-level listening (which I do a lot of). I was very pleasantly surprised and greeted by outstanding detail and clarity when listening at -40/-45db levels. There is no doubt that my Genesis speakers and Ortofon cartridge have a lot to do with this as well, so together they make for a very nice synergistic system.

I have another change coming in the next month or two and I hope, if I choose correctly, that my system has evolved into something approaching true high-end audio. I'm not there just yet.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Johnny,

Big congrats...I also have read excellent things about your Marantz piece, a true special edition. full copper inlay inside, etc...looks like you're going to have to update your signature! With Genesis and special electronics like these, you ARE true high-end audio!

Look forward to reading about your new changes and announcements as well...enjoy.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks Lloyd! - And yes, I see I'm going to have to update my signature.

I'm always in awe of the gear I see on here and I tend to look at mine as really not there, but that's the wrong approach. I have quality components that were carefully selected and it brings me tremendous joy and satisfaction. The next change will be pretty big for me and I can't wait to finalize it. I'll keep you guys posted for sure!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
John, throwing money at a system is not the way to happiness.

Over the past couple of years, I have followed you on your journey as you have carefully cultivated and nurtured your system to the point where it is mature and brings you joy and satisfaction. The fact that you enjoy every one of your albums, and are taking more care to pack and move them and are willing to leave behind and sell pieces of gear tell me volumes about you as a music lover. I am enjoying your Facebook journey spinning great albums.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks Gary!

When I look back starting with a Yamaha MCH AVR, a Revolver Red turntable and a pair of Totem Mites (and later some Sttafs) I see the trememdous progress I have made. Every single step forward moved me closer that what I wanted in the end, and with the next upgrade I can say I'll be there, completely there. Future expenditures will be on media, as listening to great records is my one true passion. Speaking of which, I've been waiting for Costco to bring in The Beatles Mono Boxset as their price is the best I've seen in these parts at $329 CAD. It was supposed to be available yesterday, but has been delayed until next Monday. I'm very much looking forward to this.

And I'm glad you're enjoying my What's Playing posts on Facebook! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing