My humble 2CH room!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hey. I've got one of those Nitty Gritty's too (that model, even) :D

Me three.... although not the Fi model. I don't want the normal fluid delivery system as I have a completely different non-approved process to clean using the Nitty Gritty that I developed over the past 20 years or so.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I received the NG today and it's just as described, although I can't use it yet since it didn't come with any solution. I know lots of people make their own solution and I wouldn't mind doing that myself. Any recommendations on that?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I highly recommend MF Super Wash. It's not that expensive and it lasts a long time and does a great job.

http://http://www.elusivedisc.com/MOBILE-FIDELITY-LP-SUPER-RECORD-WASH-32oz/productinfo/MFSL-WASH/

Link wouldn't work....double http://

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I fixed it and it should work now.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
WBF adds another http:// Just delete one of them.

I found it anyway ;)...just wanted to point it out. I put it in my cart!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I received the NG today and it's just as described, although I can't use it yet since it didn't come with any solution. I know lots of people make their own solution and I wouldn't mind doing that myself. Any recommendations on that?

When I got my first VPI16 I started using a recipe for a cleaning solution referred in The Absolute Sound - 75% distilled water, 25% isopropyl alcohol and a few drops of Kodak Photoflo (a film wetting agent). Later I replaced the Photoflo by a few drops of Triton X-100, a laboratory detergent.

Recently I read that some people warn against using isopropyl alcohol to clean vinyl LPs, but I never had any problem in many years and my my LPs seem to be still in mint condition.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Couple of things to report.

I ordered some of the NG Enzyme wash and their brush and see where it takes me in terms of satistfaction. Finally received my acoustic panels on Sunday and hope to have them up on the weekend. I never realized how big a 2x4 panel really is. They're huge. I'm pleased with the finish on them and I'm glad I ordered them with the beveled edging. Looks nice.

I put one of them on a case of beer (LOL) to check for height and it's perfect as the tweeter would be hitting the middle of the panel on a straight line. Now I have to do the mirror trick for finding placement.

IMG_0563.JPG

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I can't resist :D A 2' x 4' panel is actually 24" x 48".

That's even bigger, isn't it? LOL! Glad I didn't order those!:p

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I was all ready to show you a pic or two of my new (to me) Jolida JD9v2 phonostage, when I discovered that my McIntosh MC122 won't power up and my Nottingham is not getting any power either. .

I had the system turned off for a few days as I'm too involved with the World Cup to listen properly. After I connected the Jolida about an hour ago I powered up the system and everything turned on, except for the power amp and turntable. I waited a few minutes and tried again....nothing. I then disconnected and reconnected everything making sure all cables were properly seated. Nothing again.

Are both my amp and TT down for the count? Could this possibly be a connection issue? Help, because I don't know what to make of this.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I was all ready to show you a pic or two of my new (to me) Jolida JD9v2 phonostage, when I discovered that my McIntosh MC122 won't power up and my Nottingham is not getting any power either. .

I had the system turned off for a few days as I'm too involved with the World Cup to listen properly. After I connected the Jolida about an hour ago I powered up the system and everything turned on, except for the power amp and turntable. I waited a few minutes and tried again....nothing. I then disconnected and reconnected everything making sure all cables were properly seated. Nothing again.

Are both my amp and TT down for the count? Could this possibly be a connection issue? Help, because I don't know what to make of this.

John, have you tried the obvious...check the plug where these are attached and see that there is power at the wall. If not, either the plug has failed or maybe you have a breaker that has jumped.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, have you tried the obvious...check the plug where these are attached and see that there is power at the wall. If not, either the plug has failed or maybe you have a breaker that has jumped.

I have power at the wall. I even disconnected/reconnected the Monster powercentre which is the only piece going directly into the wall outlet. I don't like having the amp connected to the powercentre, but I have no choice as other outlets are too far away. I've not had any issues so far.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have power at the wall. I even disconnected/reconnected the Monster powercentre which is the only piece going directly into the wall outlet. I don't like having the amp connected to the powercentre, but I have no choice as other outlets are too far away. I've not had any issues so far.

John, this is interesting. The only other thing that could be causing your problem, besides the pieces themselves of course, is the "powercentre". I had a problem with mine recently, when plugging my big Rowland into it there was a LOT of noise from the amp. Strange, since I had used this same piece for years with the Rowland and with no issues. Talking to Jeff, he recommended not using a power supply/conditioner with his amps and told me that he designs for direct connection to the wall only. So, upon taking his advice, all was well again. I would see IF bypassing the power center will help.
Otherwise, I guess a trip to your local dealer/ tech is going to be in order.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, this is interesting. The only other thing that could be causing your problem, besides the pieces themselves of course, is the "powercentre". I had a problem with mine recently, when plugging my big Rowland into it there was a LOT of noise from the amp. Strange, since I had used this same piece for years with the Rowland and with no issues. Talking to Jeff, he recommended not using a power supply/conditioner with his amps and told me that he designs for direct connection to the wall only. So, upon taking his advice, all was well again. I would see IF bypassing the power center will help.
Otherwise, I guess a trip to your local dealer/ tech is going to be in order.

To bypass the power centre I would need about a 10' power cord. Is that a problem? If not, then I can order one.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The AMP is ALIVE and well! Thank goodness!

I plugged it into another outlet and it powered up fine. It does appear that the Monster power center is the issue. I'm going to remove it and replace it a temporary solution, which is a Belkin Pure A/V powerstrip.

It does all seem somewhat odd to me as the Monster unit powers every other component just fine.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and good morning, John. See if your imaging differs with the Belkin in, Monster out and report back with any noticeable changes if you don't mind.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hello and good morning, John. See if your imaging differs with the Belkin in, Monster out and report back with any noticeable changes if you don't mind.

Tom

Sure...give me a bit of time as right now I'm really preoccupied with the World Cup and am only casually listening.

GOOD NEWS! EVERYTHING IS BACK UP AND RUNNING!

That was quite the scare I tell you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing