My experience with Lampizator

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I have never been happier with a piece of gear than since owning my Lampizator. DAC heaven? For me, yes. Hey, if you (not you specifically) don't, fine.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
When I am out at the jazz and blues bars listening to live music, Patron for $8-$10 per shot is the best choice. Anything cheaper is just shiet. For my bar at home, I like anything Anejo that's $50-100 for 750ml bottle. I am a snob, but not too picky, as long as it is smooth. I think I am going to pick up a bottle of the Costco-branded tequila this weekend, just to give it a try.

Coming back on topic, Geardaddy, what has been your dac evolution? Did you go straight to the top Golden Gate Lampi, or did you have other Lampi gear, as well as other DACs?

P.S. I also wanted to thank you for the most interesting Stereophile link in my "most musical dac" thread.

Excellent Caesar. I am currently enjoying a bottle of DonJulio Anejo that my office staff bought me.

Dac or digital evolution: Bel Canto 1.1>>Granite Audio 657 (tubed CDP)>>Zardoz Ultimo (our of France)>>Lampizator B7>>Lampizator Golden Gate. I am 47 now, and paradoxically, i began my audio habit as a preteen with vinyl and cassette. Around 2002, I began the "hi end" leg with digital as my source (largely for pragmatic reasons). I have spent the last 13 years trying (subconsciously) to get back to the "sound" I enjoyed as a preteen. To my ears, there was always something slightly askew with digital (that stereophile piece alludes to some of that phenomena and I knew u would enjoy it). The GG gets me where I want to be and is the closest thing I have heard or owned to a more "analog" sound for better and for worse.

Here is a vignette I shared on Audiogon to illustrate my point and I will cut and paste it here:

07-01-15: Agear
Here is an interesting vignette shared by a friend of mine: a speaker manufacturer has a young autistic son. His son would typically play in the room while Dad was fiddling and voicing the speakers. He used master tape, vinyl, and vinyl rips to digital as source material. When master tape or vinyl was used, his child stayed in the room. When digital was used, he would play for a few minutes and then leave the room. So, we need digital reproduction that will not drive children and/or small animals from the room.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I have never been happier with a piece of gear than since owning my Lampizator. DAC heaven? For me, yes. Hey, if you (not you specifically) don't, fine.

You always happy Joe, with any piece of audio gear. :b ...Just watch, till you get a new piece...next week.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
To my ears, there was always something slightly askew with digital (that stereophile piece alludes to some of that phenomena and I knew u would enjoy it). The GG gets me where I want to be and is the closest thing I have heard or owned to a more "analog" sound for better and for worse.

Here is a vignette I shared on Audiogon to illustrate my point and I will cut and paste it here:

07-01-15: Agear
Here is an interesting vignette shared by a friend of mine: a speaker manufacturer has a young autistic son. His son would typically play in the room while Dad was fiddling and voicing the speakers. He used master tape, vinyl, and vinyl rips to digital as source material. When master tape or vinyl was used, his child stayed in the room. When digital was used, he would play for a few minutes and then leave the room. So, we need digital reproduction that will not drive children and/or small animals from the room.

I am the 'uncle' of a 3-year old and had him listen to the finale of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony on my system last Sunday. He said "This is awesome". He loves a lot to listen to music on my system in general. It's digital-only.

I admire the resolution of analog on other WBF member's systems and love to listen to it, but I find my digital just as addictive and musical.

That very good Stereophile piece that you mention and to which I have also written a letter in response,

http://www.stereophile.com/features/203/

is 15 years old. Digital has evolved since then, and not just Lampizator.

joecasey

Oct 5, 2014
Plenty of Lampi plugs going on here and over on AudioShark. The net is great for free advertising and for creating brand awareness.
The same 3 or 4 AudioShark members account for 99% of ALL the threads. Is AudioShark a PRIVATE website? LOL!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
The same 3 or 4 AudioShark members account for 99% of ALL the threads. Is AudioShark a PRIVATE website? LOL!

Well, so far it hasn't devolved into the What's Most Expensive Forum. Are you complaining?

blbloom

Aug 5, 2013

"bingo!!! Lol!

What a ray of sunshine…..Looks like you don't really have much to offer. LOL!

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I am the 'uncle' of a 3-year old and had him listen to the finale of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony on my system last Sunday. He said "This is awesome". He loves a lot to listen to music on my system in general. It's digital-only.

I admire the resolution of analog on other WBF member's systems and love to listen to it, but I find my digital just as addictive and musical.

That very good Stereophile piece that you mention and to which I have also written a letter in response,

http://www.stereophile.com/features/203/

is 15 years old. Digital has evolved since then, and not just Lampizator.

That does not duplicate the experiment. Present him with a "blinded" choice and see what happens. Another except from Audiogon:

07-02-15: Ctsooner
My son has Aspergers (on the autism scale) as well as the sensory processing dysfunction piece. He has never liked listening to my music system, but he loves music. All kinds, always has. He listens with some Sennheiser cans I gave him years ago. He now enjoys listening when I can get him over as I only play him vinyl when he's here. He is able to listen to the Overdrive DAC, but it's the first time he has heard digital at my house and appreciated it. He has said in the past that the sou

The stereophile article compares both tubes + vinyl versus digital + SS, so tubes are obviously a confounding variable in the experiment (and in your system too). As I have suggested in other threads, that experiment needs to be repeated, and I'll bet you $ (or a fine bottle of tequila) that the results would be the same. Blinding people is SO important. Floyd Toole and others have elegantly demonstrated that blinding people to speakers, for example, alters their preferences.

As for digital's evolution, that is obviously debatable. Prior to the Lampi, the best piece of digital I had heard was a SS piece (Light Harmonic DaVinci). When listening to the GG, my current preference is DSD....

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing