ML Statements - A Legend or a Marketing Gimmick?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Some people swear that these are all time greats. Yet I have many friends who have heard them at shows (yes, I know), and were not impressed one bit. Were these speakers created just to attract attention to the brand?

Does anyone have any experience with these to shed some light on the truth? If these are truly great, how would they compare with the top tier of speakers getting critical acclaim today?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i heard the original ML statements once and was impressed, but maybe im an impressionable person. i thought these were rare and few existed, personally i dont know two people who've heard them let alone "many." they're no more gimmicky than any other statement speaker.

what do you consider top tier today?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I listened to the ML Statement E2 and the Alexandria X-2 that was played with the XS subwoofer in the same room on the same afternoon. It wasn't even close. The Statements were absolutely spectacular and far better than just about anything new in its class. My only criticism is they have a relatively small sweet spot.

ML knows how to make great speakers. It is unfortunate that they stopped making them when the company was purchased by Shore-View Industries in 2005.

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010

I'm guessing anyone looking for "the best" will audition several $100K+ speakers. The usual suspects would be MBL Extreme, Wilson Alexandria, Magico, Sonus Faber, Focal, Marten, etc., and anything else that provides fireworks.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Some people swear that these are all time greats. Yet I have many friends who have heard them at shows (yes, I know), and were not impressed one bit. Were these speakers created just to attract attention to the brand?

Does anyone have any experience with these to shed some light on the truth? If these are truly great, how would they compare with the top tier of speakers getting critical acclaim today?

I know the GM of a major dealer who sells more than 3 $150K+ speakers (Aida, XLF, Q7)...and heard many more. For him the ML Statements are his "all time favorite". He is a big fan of ML, owning a pair himself at home. Always a personal bias, but nevertheless an interesting 'statement'

beek

i heard the original ML statements once and was impressed, but maybe im an impressionable person. i thought these were rare and few existed, personally i dont know two people who've heard them let alone "many." they're no more gimmicky than any other statement speaker.

I too spent time with the original Statement pushed with 4 large mono Thresholds and was Very impressed, personally would not spend that kind of money on any dynamic speaker.

sleepysurf

Sep 8, 2010
I suspect Gayle Sanders built the first one strictly to showcase the brand, and see how far he could push ESL technology at that time. Given their size and power requirements, I doubt many were sold. I wonder how many pairs were actually manufactured?

With regard to ML quality, since the Shoreview acquisition... while quality may have stumbled a bit during their transition to manufacturing in Ontario at the Paradigm facility, it seems they are back in stride with innovation and QC. The Summit X, Montis, and Ethos have garnered rave reviews, particularly with regard to better integration of the woofers and stat panels in the latter two models using DSP technology. Seems most of their recent profits have derived from the entry/mid-level stuff, but that's what pays for R&D for their Reserve Line. I'm still a fully satisfied customer, and anxiously awaiting the new Balanced Force subs, and ? future Summit replacement.

I listened to the ML Statement E2 and the Alexandria X-2 that was played with the XS subwoofer in the same room on the same afternoon. It wasn't even close. The Statements were absolutely spectacular and far better than just about anything new in its class. My only criticism is they have a relatively small sweet spot.

ML knows how to make great speakers. It is unfortunate that they stopped making them when the company was purchased by Shore-View Industries in 2005.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
When I contemplate the current crop of hundred thousand dollar plus speakers , I shudder to thlnk what Gayel Sandres could offer for two hundred thousand dollars

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing