Might be cheaper to get a new pair
3.6 r
I only paid I think like 2500 for mine
Mint in boxes. Seeing that level of corrosion makes me it’s done

Might be cheaper to get a new pair
3.6 r
I only paid I think like 2500 for mine
Mint in boxes. Seeing that level of corrosion makes me it’s done
Yeah, may be... Magnepan would likely replace the panels and contact assemblies (terminal strips). When I got a quote to rebuild my old MG-IIIa's some years ago, it was cheaper than I expected at the time, so worth a call or note just to see. But I think the OP is overseas so shipping alone might kill that option.

If I were doing a rebuild, I'd use some sort of sealant or conformal coating and the terminal strips to reduce future corrosion.

Reactions: Alrainbow
Maggie’s in general really Surprised me in how well they sound
but like most any set is paramount and knowing how is always allusive
past owners helped me in understanding
an example I got mine with the tweeters wide open
no given resistors

I have tried indeed to check the connection between the incoming wire to different locations of the alu-strip but this did not give any sound. (I disconnected the bas-section). I neither measured an 0-resistance.
So for the moment I accept the sound that I hear, which is - although not perfect - still acceptable, remembering that I originally heard nothing anymore!
A new set of the successor, the 1.7 costs here in Holland appr. 4000 Euro's, which is still an amount for a pensionado.
Apart from this I am also followed on my heals by the importer of Quad, who wants me to listen to an set of the ESL63, in combination with a Quad-amplifiers.
But this is of course, as we call it in Dutch, "vloeken in de kerk" : swearing in the
Maggie-church!
Fre.d

Reactions: Alrainbow

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing