Magico Ultimate 3

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
More power to you if it's in your budget.

What is the impedance of these speakers? Two way active might be the way to go. Tube amps for the horn sections and room eq and SS or class d amps for the bass sections. This would give you the ability to fine tune the bass but also get the musicality in the mids and highs. Lots of options with these speakers.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
More power to you if it's in your budget.

What is the impedance of these speakers? Two way active might be the way to go. Tube amps for the horn sections and room eq and SS or class d amps for the bass sections. This would give you the ability to fine tune the bass but also get the musicality in the mids and highs. Lots of options with these speakers.

depends of drivers. the 3 ALE motors are 16 Ohm. The 12" driver for the large horn is still in design phase, don't know the impedance.
I like tubes, but I want very low noise. At 110dB sensitivity, the slightest amp noise becomes disturbing. I may end up with my own custom made amps, who knows... there are a lot of SS amps I like, but how they sound on a 87dB speaker doesn't tell how they will sound on a 110dB Ultimate. Depends of the quality of the first Watt....

The sub has an internal D-class amp, 4000W.

If you go with a two ways, you need to go for a full active crossover. If the sub is active and the rest has an analog EQ, you can never integrate properly the bass with the rest of speaker, as the active bass module introduces a time delay... Also, with an analog crossover, you by definition introduce phase shifts: a full active system gives you much more flexibility, but of course it is difficult to set up right. It means also that you need a very high quality digital XO.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
depends of drivers. the 3 ALE motors are 16 Ohm. The 12" driver for the large horn is still in design phase, don't know the impedance.
I like tubes, but I want very low noise. At 110dB sensitivity, the slightest amp noise becomes disturbing. I may end up with my own custom made amps, who knows... there are a lot of SS amps I like, but how they sound on a 87dB speaker doesn't tell how they will sound on a 110dB Ultimate. Depends of the quality of the first Watt....

The sub has an internal D-class amp, 4000W.

If you go with a two ways, you need to go for a full active crossover. If the sub is active and the rest has an analog EQ, you can never integrate properly the bass with the rest of speaker, as the active bass module introduces a time delay... Also, with an analog crossover, you by definition introduce phase shifts: a full active system gives you much more flexibility, but of course it is difficult to set up right. It means also that you need a very high quality digital XO.

You may want to contact Jeffrey Jackson at Experience Music...custom build tube amps for horn systems are his speciality.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Stereo,

Did you happen to mention the source components you use in your system ? Inquiring minds want to know...;)

The only source I plan to use is an Audeeva Conbrio music server with 3TB of storage. I will still keep my APL NWO-Master as SACD source, but for normal CD or Hi-res file everything is on my server.
I may add a vinyl set up in the future, but most probably I will encode vinyl in hi-res files and play from server (it is an active system, so everything goes digital anyway)

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I you like tubes and are thinking about a custom built amplifier I would suggest you contact Paul Weitzel of Tube Research Labs. He builds great tube amplifiers and he has been working with Alon in the past. Alon has a pair of his mono amplifiers and one of his preamplifiers at home. Paul can build custom amps for the Ultimate. I am sure Alon would agree on the recomendation.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
A few more info on the Conbrio source I will be using, both for music server and as active crossover for the Ultimate:
The Conbrio mk2 features a multiway digital crossover with discrete 64bit-precision audio paths for each of the different drivers/outputs. The crossover is completely integrated into Conbrio’s real-time audio pipeline and optionally supports additional DSP features including driver linearization, room correction, cross-talk cancellation. As with all of Conbrio’s audio playback pipeline, the crossover component is marshaled by the same clock as that feeds the DACs, taking into consideration the processing delay in the DSP and the latency of the DACs to achieve perfect time and phase alignment in a closed-loop feedback process that also measures temperature and humidity in the listening room. Conbrio is remotely controlled by an iPad over a dedicated WiFi network with minimal transmission power. A planned future upgrade will include standard 2ch digital inputs so that Conbrio can be used as a crossover for upstream sources (SACD player, turntable going through an ADC) in addition to functioning as a music server.
The Conbrio MK2 is not really a commercial product. More of a 3-boxes 150lbs "commercial prototype" which has been developed and optimized by Matan Arazi to work with the Ultimate speakers. I have heard a lot of the existing servers on the market and I find the Conbrio as vastly superior to any other digital sources (CD players, servers) I've heard so far.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...on the Conbrio source I will be using, both for music server and as active crossover for the Ultimate:
...The Conbrio MK2 is not really a commercial product. More of a 3-boxes 150lbs "commercial prototype" which has been developed and optimized by Matan Arazi to work with the Ultimate speakers. I have heard a lot of the existing servers on the market and I find the Conbrio as vastly superior to any other digital sources (CD players, servers) I've heard so far.

wow...that sounds quite cool. What have you compared it with...and how much is it? (understanding the price is not necessarily a set commercial price, but probably more something you negotiated directly...) Any 'rough indication' would be appreciated!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It is the MK2 version of this server. Significant development are being done right now, as I highlighted above

Fantastic...thanks and enjoy! That sounds like a truly world class system that is also customized for you. What a great thing. Congrats.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Since it is not a commercial product, the first hurdle has been to convince Matan Arazi to develop one for me, with my required customization. A lot of new SW and HW development. Keep in mind it is a hobby for him, not a job. Base price (without customization) is in line with what has been posted on WBF previously. I have compared it to Soulution, Constellation, Aurender, Weiss... and my own CD source, which performs among the best I ever heard- but not as good as the Conbrio.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I was in the military and when someone says "military-grade", it's not something to be proud of! ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Since it is not a commercial product, the first hurdle has been to convince Matan Arazi to develop one for me, with my required customization. A lot of new SW and HW development. Keep in mind it is a hobby for him, not a job. Base price (without customization) is in line with what has been posted on WBF previously. I have compared it to Soulution, Constellation, Aurender, Weiss... and my own CD source, which performs among the best I ever heard- but not as good as the Conbrio.

impressive...enjoy!

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I was in the military and when someone says "military-grade", it's not something to be proud of! ;)

Yeah... private first class Brown probably didn't have real exposure of what military grade means ;-)
Maybe you would have a different opinion if you would have done your military service in the unit 8200 like Matan:
http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/israel-military-unit-ventures-biz-cx_gk_0208israel.html

I work in semiconductor industry and consumer electronic. This gives me a lot of respect for what military grade can mean in term of much stricter requirements.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Drivers are by ALE. I've heard these in the personal horn system of Victor Sierra of Sierra-Brooks. They are extremely good drivers. Extremely pricey too I've heard. IIRC some can go for as much as $15,000 each. I haven't heard any GOTOs. Super-sized horn systems are rare and most I've seen use JBL or A-L.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing