Magico Mini II versus Q1

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It will be the greatest speaker known to man until the next issue. That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

:) If only elections were as predictable, huh?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
It will be the greatest speaker known to man until the next issue. That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

Mark - wait and see the new Avalon speaker to be launched in January 2013!

stereo

Sep 1, 2012

It will be the best speaker in the history of loudspeaker design, and I am not ironic: just go to listen to it in a good set up, after 1000hrs of burning, and cry if you don't have enough money to buy it. I insist on the "good set up", because they are so revelatory that they will never be the limiting factor in your system: this was the most shocking part for me. Then go on the same day listen to the XLF, and wonder how there are still people to buy a XLF... power of marketing and heritage.
I don't read hifi magazines, I listen with my ears, and my ears tell me that Magico has been the most impressive speakers company over the past few years in their ability to push back the limits of music reproduction.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
+1

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Stereo, I just heard the Q7 today. Incredible. I agree that they will not be the limiting factor in a system. Very transparent, almost as if they were not there. Very natural bass. Extremely coherent. I listened for about two hours with my own LPs. One needs more than just a lot of money for these. The room needs to be large with a very strong floor structure.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Stereo, I just heard the Q7 today. Incredible. I agree that they will not be the limiting factor in a system. Very transparent, almost as if they were not there. Very natural bass. Extremely coherent. I listened for about two hours with my own LPs. One needs more than just a lot of money for these. The room needs to be large with a very strong floor structure.

Yes. The Q7 deserves the best. I am building a dedicated auditorium to host the Q7. Very live room. 70 diffusers.... 27 Helmholtz resonators tuned on room nodes...
Here a simulation of the room:
1_FINAL model 26 maj 2012_1.jpg 2_FINAL model 26 maj 2012_2.jpg

Still need some time to finish the construction (need to build a box in box...). Upstream components are also not finalized yet. The only easy choice was the Q7: they are so much superior to anything else I listened to. Finally a company which brings real innovation to the market! After listening to more than fifteen 100k+ super speakers, I started to believe audio is more about good marketing and big boxes than real sound improvement vs. cheaper speakers

Besides, I have also a pair of Q1 in my living room, to survive until my music room will be ready: I don't regret a minute the Evolution acoustics MM3 I had before...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes. The Q7 deserves the best. I am building a dedicated auditorium to host the Q7. Very live room. 70 diffusers.... 27 Helmholtz resonators tuned on room nodes...
View attachment 6951 View attachment 6952

W-O-W! That is way cool. When will it be finished? And when will you decide your front end? I vote for Zanden digital, Vitus or Gryphon monos/pre-amplification, TA Opus cabling.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Stereo, That looks like quite an impressive room. I'm curious though about the one wall with all of the glass. Would that not be very reflective? Congratulations on the Q7. The Absolute Sound just wrote a rave cover review. I think you will need to consider your electronics carefully and will you listen primarily to analog or digital?

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Stereo, That looks like quite an impressive room. I'm curious though about the one wall with all of the glass. Would that not be very reflective? Congratulations on the Q7. The Absolute Sound just wrote a rave cover review. I think you will need to consider your electronics carefully and will you listen primarily to analog or digital?
Yes, you are right, the wall with all the glass is very reflective (and pretty inert, the glass is 20mm thick)... but I need to let some light in - let's say it is a compromise with my wife. What the simulation doesn't shows is that I will use 3 large transparent S-wing diffusers in front of the glass wall. Same as what you see on this picture on both side of the rack. My acoustician says that with the S-wing the glass wall is not a problem anymore.
I listen only to digital. I like the superior convenience.... right now I don't have enough time to play with turntable settings, etc. Maybe in 1-2 years.
transp.JPG

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
W-O-W! That is way cool. When will it be finished? And when will you decide your front end? I vote for Zanden digital, Vitus or Gryphon monos/pre-amplification, TA Opus cabling.

Should be finished in a few months. The complex part is the construction of the box in box (that's why you can see 2 glass walls 40cm away from each other), not the acoustic treatment.
On front end, I have already one APL NWO-Master CD player. I will probably sell it wen I will receive My Audeeva ConBrio music server. All my music will be on music server.
On DAC, I am testing a lot of different DACs at the moment...
On amps, short list is Dartzeel, Constellation, Vitus and potentially the new Soulution. I still have a old Gryphon which is too slow and "romantic", I have no opinion on the new ones.
On cables.... I hate spending time "listening to cables" even if I agree they make a difference.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Here a simulation of the room:
View attachment 6951 View attachment 6952

Still need some time to finish the construction (need to build a box in box...). Upstream components are also not finalized yet. The only easy choice was the Q7: they are so much superior to anything else I listened to. Finally a company which brings real innovation to the market! After listening to more than fifteen 100k+ super speakers, I started to believe audio is more about good marketing and big boxes than real sound improvement vs. cheaper speakers

Besides, I have also a pair of Q1 in my living room, to survive until my music room will be ready: I don't regret a minute the Evolution acoustics MM3 I had before...

Consider me impressed ... The room looks stunning ... What are the dimensions? Also what will be the rest of the system?

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I realize that this thread is more about the Q1 and mini II. Let me start a new thread

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing