Innuos Pulse mini with LPs or Pulse?

Abolive

May 8, 2020
Hello,

My dealer has only the Pulse Mini and I would like some opinions.
I'll stream exclusively. From what I've gathered, the PS of the Pulse may be better than the additional LPSU for the Mini (well the Zen one).
Have some of you compared the 2 iterations? or have an opinion between the SQ of the Zen vs the Pulse (as the Zen is reportedly better than the Mini)?
Many thanks!

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I have the same question..Likely not alot of comparisons being they are both relatively new products.

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
It would be quite difficult to match the power supply in the Pulse with an external one, not only because it's an extremely good but also because it's designed specifically for it.
The Pulse also includes a great D to D converter inside, so its digital outputs cannot be matched by the mini.

Reactions: skids929

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
It would be quite difficult to match the power supply in the Pulse with an external one, not only because it's an extremely good but also because it's designed specifically for it.
The Pulse also includes a great D to D converter inside, so its digital outputs cannot be matched by the mini.
If you lift the lid on the Power Supply in the Pulse and the LPSU from Innuos (which I own) there is very little if ANY difference between them. I also lifted the lid on the Pulse Mini and compared it to the board in the Pulse and there is literally zero difference I can see, other than the AES port on the digital board. You have to remember the Pulse Mini came out long after the Pulse, Pulse is the oldest design in the Pulse line up.

Are there audible differences, I can't say, but based on what I see in the designs of the two pieces they are almost identical. I would love someone to prove me wrong here, but I'd say it would be hard to create an audible difference between Pulse mini with LPSU and Pulse, all things being equal.

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
If you lift the lid on the Power Supply in the Pulse and the LPSU from Innuos (which I own) there is very little if ANY difference between them. I also lifted the lid on the Pulse Mini and compared it to the board in the Pulse and there is literally zero difference I can see, other than the AES port on the digital board. You have to remember the Pulse Mini came out long after the Pulse, Pulse is the oldest design in the Pulse line up.

Are there audible differences, I can't say, but based on what I see in the designs of the two pieces they are almost identical. I would love someone to prove me wrong here, but I'd say it would be hard to create an audible difference between Pulse mini with LPSU and Pulse, all things being equal.
Indeed, the digital board is more or less the same with the exception of the added 4GBs of RAM in the Pulse.
But the Pulse power supply (which quoting the Innuos site includes an audio-grade toroidal transformer with epoxy-filled centre for dampening vibration, magnetic screening with coated SYN-SHIELD copper tape between windings and wrapped in black Mylar Tape, over 40000µF of high-end Mundorf Capacitors and a Coilcraft Inductor) seems to be a bit more sophisticated than the Zen line LPSU and available only within the Pulse.
Now, there is no reason why the Zen LPSU won't sound really good with the Pulse mini and in fact, that's what I would do if I were on a budget and also had no need for the D to D board.
BTW, I've owned the Pulse and now the Pulsar, but I distinctly remember the Pulse mini being already available, while the Pulse was yet to be released, something that correlates with their net history and the order they were reviewed as well.
I've took a photo of the Pulse innards and posted it on this thread:

Reactions: skids929

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Yes agreed the toroid is different (likely a potted Toroidy). My main interest is two-fold..1) to get the AES connection and 2) to get audible sonic improvement over the Pulse Mini with the LPSU. I really wouldn't be able to answer the question on #2 unless I listen, but based on tests with my eyes seems like a somewhat lateral move. Budget isn't really a concern or I would buy the Pulsar, but that doesn't have AES, yet....I hear they may be implementing it this year or next so I might wait.

The answer to release date with these products is extremely complicated and varied based on country and part availability. My recollection is opposite of yours. What we need is someone to chime in that has listened to both these combinations!

Reactions: tedwoods

Skypop

May 21, 2020
I have a Pulse Mini,and was interested in a LPS for it,has anyone tried one with good success.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing