Magico Mini 2, Q1, Raidho C 1.1, or TAD CR 1

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I tend to like silk domes best myself. I recognize that good ribbons are faster and more revealing, more....transparent....and I've heard a few I know I would warm up to and learn to love. But a really nice silk (Scan Speak makes some very nice ones) is just sweet and easy and maybe just a bit soft in the best possible way, and I like them. See? I am a subjectivist.

Tim

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...However, my favorite speaker of the lot is not the one with the 2904, but the SFGH. I spent a lot of time at a dealer's in the 80's considering buying the original Guarnari, but just never saved up enough for it. I ended up with the MG3.5's - and then had to go into an escalating amplifier war to get enough power for them.QUOTE]

that in itself says something to me about how your own speakers must sound...i am even more intrigued than ever!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Gary, what are you bringing to RAMF this year?

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I prefer beryllium as a tweeter material - from the few I have heard I have found them to be more neutral, resolving and transparent than silk dome tweeters which puts them closer to ribbons but with none of the drawbacks.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I prefer beryllium as a tweeter material - from the few I have heard I have found them to be more neutral, resolving and transparent than silk dome tweeters which puts them closer to ribbons but with none of the drawbacks.

The problem I have with the beryllium drivers I have heard is that they tend to have a particular "ringing" quality that once you recognize it, it's hard to ignore. Same problem I encountered and only realized once it had vanished, when I was using a titanium dome.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

The drawbacks of dispersion, sensitivity and power handling for ribbons have been dealt with quite well of late as has the ringing in many metal and ceramic drivers, beryllium included. At the same time coatings have improved fabric tweeters as well. All seem to be headed in the right direction.

Mike Gillespie

Jan 19, 2011
Has any one recently compared the Raidho C1.1 (especially with a pair of subs) to the TAD CR-1's? I thinking of buying one or the other. Thanks.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I think you might want to consider the new Raidho D1 (or D1.1, not sure the model number) coming out. They are supposed to be phenomenal. I do have to say my TADs, with the right amp are just amazing and extremely satisfying. I am a happy camper and I don't really lust after the latest and greatest speakers anymore.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I have had the Raidho C3.0 in my room along with the CR1's for around a month. The tads smoked these raidho's. The .1 series is newer of course and the D.1 even more so, cannot comment on these speakers.

zag

Jun 2, 2012
i have been running Mini2 for more than 6 years now...for better part of the early years with dartzeel pre and power combo (18 and 108). recently i acquired Soulution 501s monoblock and been running it. Mini2 just got even faster and better with the faster amp.

there is an itch i need to scratch, i had a short audition early last year on the CR 1 powered by Gryphon top end amps. As much i love the Mini2 for its sealed box bass characteristics, there is something i heard in the CR1 i can't shake off till now a year later.

I will not have a chance to home audition the CR1 side by side with the Mini2. I see some of fellow regulars here pair dartzeels with the CR1.. so I have electronics choices to pair nicely, even with the much hyped Devialet D-primer.

Is the CR1 a worthwhile efforts going for after the Mini2? I have listened to all the Q series (1 to 7), it is easy to just go for Q1 or Q3 given the limited size of my listening room but i want to try something different.. There is also a big fuss in my neck of the woods on the latest Raidho D1 launch right which has local enthusiasts swearing by them.

i know sound preference is subjective.. i have been "faithful" to the mini2 as long as i have for any speakers I have owned...

question is the CR1 will be the next keeper? of course i will move the Mini2 to the living room to mate with the devialet d-primer..

appreciate your comments and share any direct experience if you have both magico and TAD in your listening space...

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
I thought the mini2 , after living with it for over 2 years was keeper, specially when I mated a Jl sub to it. Then the dealer, after i had resisted for so long believing the Mini would be hard to topple, loaned me a q3. Believe me, while they do share a "house sound", the q speakers are that much better. How they compare to the TAD's I can't comment since I've never heard one in direct comparison with any Magico speaker. What did you hear in the CR 1 that after over a year you can't seem to forget? it must be something the Mini can't achieve and I'm sure it's more than just the bass which is a given given the TAD's larger cabinet and drivers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i have been running Mini2 for more than 6 years now...for better part of the early years with dartzeel pre and power combo (18 and 108). recently i acquired Soulution 501s monoblock and been running it. Mini2 just got even faster and better with the faster amp.

there is an itch i need to scratch, i had a short audition early last year on the CR 1 powered by Gryphon top end amps. As much i love the Mini2 for its sealed box bass characteristics, there is something i heard in the CR1 i can't shake off till now a year later.

I have only heard the Ref Ones (latest edition) driven by TAD ref system. But very promising and in truth, would have preferred to hear it driven by Gryphon amplification myself. I heard the Raidhos briefly...beautiful, clearly of the latest generation of designs with incredible microdynamics...felt like a forgiving speaker despite its high level of detail. I would bet tougher to get it right with the TADs which sound like they were designed by guys who come from the studio side of life...but with the right system, i could easily see living with Ref Ones for a long time. Very impressive speakers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I thought the mini2 , after living with it for over 2 years was keeper, specially when I mated a Jl sub to it. Then the dealer, after i had resisted for so long believing the Mini would be hard to topple, loaned me a q3. Believe me, while they do share a "house sound", the q speakers are that much better. How they compare to the TAD's I can't comment since I've never heard one in direct comparison with any Magico speaker. What did you hear in the CR 1 that after over a year you can't seem to forget? it must be something the Mini can't achieve and I'm sure it's more than just the bass which is a given given the TAD's larger cabinet and drivers.

Can I loan you amps to try at home with your Q3s? Clue, you heard them with your speakers last November. Same amps used with the TAD Ref Ones at Axpona that our fellow WBF members were very impressed with. Hehehehehe!

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I agree completely.. no contender in sight for the CR1..
Alex
I like a lot the CR1 (properly driven). It was with Q1 in my top 2 for small speakers, so yes for sure it should be on your list of speakers to listen to - you cannot go wrong with any of them. Several reasons why I ended up with the Q1: better WAF, more transparency (probably because of rigidity of Q construction vs. MDF and better quality of filter) and I prefer the tightness of sealed bass. After living with sealed bass for 4 years, I couldn't go back to bass reflex.
I was never impressed with the Raidho- maybe I didn't listen to them in the right conditions?
I compared Q1 and Mini 2 in the same room. BIG difference (even better transparency, smoother highs, more bass extension).

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I like a lot the CR1 (properly driven). It was with Q1 in my top 2 for small speakers, so yes for sure it should be on your list of speakers to listen to - you cannot go wrong with any of them. Several reasons why I ended up with the Q1: better WAF, more transparency (probably because of rigidity of Q construction vs. MDF and better quality of filter) and I prefer the tightness of sealed bass. After living with sealed bass for 4 years, I couldn't go back to bass reflex.
I was never impressed with the Raidho- maybe I didn't listen to them in the right conditions?
I compared Q1 and Mini 2 in the same room. BIG difference (even better transparency, smoother highs, more bass extension).

As a happy Mini 2 owner, reading lines like your last one grab my attention. This is a pretty common conclusion from those who have heard both. I just wish they had a speaker between the Q1 and Q3.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
As a happy Mini 2 owner, reading lines like your last one grab my attention. This is a pretty common conclusion from those who have heard both. I just wish they had a speaker between the Q1 and Q3.

My guess is that the S5 fills that niche, both price and performance-wise. There'd be no point in having a "Q2", unless they come out with an oversized bookshelf.

alexandre

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

My guess is that the S5 fills that niche, both price and performance-wise. There'd be no point in having a "Q2", unless they come out with an oversized bookshelf.
alexandre

My sense from speaking with a few people who've heard it is that the S5 is an all-round great performer clearly produced by Magico...perhaps not as exacting a speaker as the Q-series...but broader spectrum for the money, and easier to pair with other equipment. But for those who want the extreme of what Magico does...perhaps not quite the Q level of exacting transparency, detail, decay, etc. In many cases, that will suit some ears and systems (and wallets!) better.

Only what i've heard from a reviewer and dealer. I've only heard the Q1-5 and V3 so cannot say myself.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
My sense from speaking with a few people who've heard it is that the S5 is an all-round great performer clearly produced by Magico...perhaps not as exacting a speaker as the Q-series...but broader spectrum for the money, and easier to pair with other equipment. But for those who want the extreme of what Magico does...perhaps not quite the Q level of exacting transparency, detail, decay, etc. In many cases, that will suit some ears and systems (and wallets!) better.

Only what i've heard from a reviewer and dealer. I've only heard the Q1-5 and V3 so cannot say myself.

That's righ, lloyd. Even though it's not as precise and transparent as the Q3 or Q1, I still think its positioning is correct, in between the Q1 and Q3. I've said to some local friends, that the S5 is the perfect introduction to the Magico line, for those of you who only had ported speakers before. It'll provide the most seamless transition, and will get people hooked up to the sealed box aspects. Then, going forward to the Q3 will only improve things, with more transparency, etc.

PeterA, what kind of speaker would you think this intermediary piece should be?

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing