TAD micro evolution one vs. other nice speakers? Your comments?

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Due to room restrictions I consider a replacement for my Apogee Scintillas.
I love those planars, had them rebuilt a few years ago with new foils, new crossovers, interior cabling.
Heft, power, astonishing lows, delicacy, quite a treat.
Right now: no chance to place these. A room under the roof of an old house (built 1860), even a tv set between speakers, sigh.
So the Scintillas are in their boxes.
Prehistoric Monitor Audio 700 gold speakers :) now playing, surprisingly good for their age and ridiculous low cost.
Music? Jazz, vocals, symphonic, Kraftwerk, art of noise, too.

In five years relocation, new room with decent size to place those planars, again.
Right now … a room best suited for a small stand mounted speaker or a slim column like speaker.
I still have an old Velodyne dd12 subwoofer bought for video use years ago to help out in the lower registers.

Thoughts:
1, Get a small well mannered two way, used and „cheap“. Sonus Faber Guarneri mementos?

2, Get a big speaker, somehow place it, which might replace the Scintillas in the long run.
Serblin Krema? MBL 101 E Mk II? Cost? Ouch. Room acoustics… might fight with these.

3, Get a slim column, maybe Serblin Accordo essence? Maybe too well mannered.
Manger P1 seems interesting, but maybe not that good for occasional Kraftwerk, art of noise.

4, Get a pretty good small speaker for quite some dough to do the job well now?
My old Velodyne dd12 would support them, room resonances ameliorated by automatic eq set up.
I have been offered TAD micro evolution ones at a nice price….
Adding a better sub might even bring the combo up to fill the new room
(5m x 10m) in 5 years?

This is a TAD forum, so members might help with their comments of their comparisons of the ME one against other speakers, please?
I have not heard them.
Yes, I know, this isn’t how you buy speakers.
But I have hardly a chance to audition them, living in the mountains.
Certainly they would wipe the floor with my ancient Monitor Audios.

Thx for your input and greetings from beautiful Suisse!

Attachments

• BA5E9F4F-7077-4355-AE52-BD26408A04EF.jpeg
    BA5E9F4F-7077-4355-AE52-BD26408A04EF.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What an interesting pursuit! The Apogees made your next speaker quite a special choice. As I was reading, Guarneri (which we used to own) immediately came to mind...and we used a Velodyne DD18 with them to good effect.

I also wonder whether you might consider the Sonus Faber Extrema given Kraftwerk. I have read it needs room, so one to be mindful of within your room.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Thank you for your kind comment!

Sonus Faber extremas are difficult to find, I am afraid.
Would be pretty old, too.

But I had dreamed about those, too:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Well …
I have acquired a pair of TAD me-1 at a very attractive price.
In the beginning they sounded hard and slightly honky, which went away very soon.
Still rather thin sounding, rather mechanical, not fluid. Anaemic voices, bleagh.
I was worrying that I had now a „monitor“ speaker I could not bear …
While hoping for further improvements during break in, I put fossil original stillpoints with stillpoints inverse risers under the stands.
Just to see what wiuld happen.
I didn’t expect much.
I was very wrong.
Fluidity, expression, midbass and most of all: fun! was back in my system.
What a relief.

Right now I have the TADs biwired with NBS monitor 1 , extra XLO reference speaker wires to an aging Velodyne dd12 (cut off at 45Hz).

I do recommend all me-1 owners to try alternatives to the stock spikes & spike bases.
I will try Harmonix RF 999z million spike bases under the stock spikes in the near future, also steel spikes.

Attachments

• 17FC03D3-1EF1-4228-AE78-BC13EE9F8978.jpeg
    17FC03D3-1EF1-4228-AE78-BC13EE9F8978.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 19

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Stillpoints + inverse risers added.

Attachments

• DFFE54DC-4B3C-4443-B73C-88AC0F2A30CE.jpeg
    DFFE54DC-4B3C-4443-B73C-88AC0F2A30CE.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 18
  • F467D429-6DC3-49FC-801F-A650C9190394.jpeg
    F467D429-6DC3-49FC-801F-A650C9190394.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Stef

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Well …
In the beginning they sounded hard and slightly honky, which went away very soon.
Still rather thin sounding, rather mechanical, not fluid. Anaemic voices, bleagh.
While hoping for further improvements during break in, I put fossil original stillpoints with stillpoints inverse risers under the stands.
I didn’t expect much.
I was very wrong.
What a relief.

Right now I have the TADs biwired with NBS monitor 1 , extra XLO reference speaker wires to an aging Velodyne dd12 (cut off at 45Hz).

I do recommend all me-1 owners to try alternatives to the stock spikes & spike bases.
I will try Harmonix RF 999z million spike bases under the stock spikes in the near future, also steel spikes.
Very interesting finding - - thanks for sharing! Interesting what influence stands and mounting can have.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Well …
I didn’t expect much.
I was very wrong.
What a relief.

Interesting to find out what your take on RF999z million.
I tried RF999 mk2 but unfortunately didn’t work for me. The harmonix killed off the micro dynamic.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Interesting to find out what your take on RF999z million.
I tried RF999 mk2 but unfortunately didn’t work for me. The harmonix killed off the micro dynamic.
Oh oh.
hopefully 999z million will work well here.

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
[please forgive my poor English]

I stumble upon you initial post. Very intersting as I own Analysis Epsilon ribbon panels (that I prefered to Apogee Duetta Signature).
I am more and more wondering: what if I traded the panels for a pair of TAD ME1 ? (to save space).

I know the TAD ME1 quite well (I listen to them regurlarly at a friend's place, who uses AR LS17 preamp, Gamut power amp and EmmLab source).
I am not sure though that the ME1would bring me as much pleasure at low volume, at my place (block of appartments in town, with neighbors).

Did you had the opportunity to compare directly your Apogee Scintillas with the TAD ME1? (IIUC, your Apogees stay in their boxes).

Last edited:

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
No direct vcomparison.
Scintillas had been put in their boxes several years before TAD me1 in completely different rooms.
TAD me1 are nice for low level listening but need to be played loud occasionally to sound good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing