Magico Mini 2, Q1, Raidho C 1.1, or TAD CR 1

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not that I am aware of. BTW, have you ever heard an active with quality amp components? i never have:(.
I remember in the early 80's that Meridian had an active which wasn't too bad. Although I thought the Celestion SL6 killed it for a lot less money.

SL6si...my very first speaker ever. Amazing for a few hundred bucks.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Not that I am aware of. BTW, have you ever heard an active with quality amp components? i never have:(.
I remember in the early 80's that Meridian had an active which wasn't too bad. Although I thought the Celestion SL6 killed it for a lot less money.

Meridian still has actives which are quite good!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

Yes, I've heard many actives with quality amp components. I own a pair. Of course I suppose that depends on what you call "quality amp components." I haven't heard an integrated active speaker system with the kind of over-speced big iron that audiophiles prefer (and in some cases actually need for the inefficient, uneven loads their speakers present), but then again, when you are matching an amplifier to the load of each specific driver and removing the efficiency-sucking nest of resistance that is the passive crossover network, it's not necessary or even advisable. Active is a completely different game when it comes to amplification.

By the way, the early 80s would have been the very early days of integrated active speakers. I imagine what "wasn't too bad" then would not even be competitive today.

Tim

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I just don't understand $25k monitors. Sorry, I'm buying JTinn's Evos and getting a PBD and a tube amp with the savings.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I just don't understand $25k monitors. Sorry, I'm buying JTinn's Evos and getting a PBD and a tube amp with the savings.

I don't find $40k floor-standers any easier to understand that $25K stand-mounts (which is what we're really talking about, not monitors).

Tim

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Of the four speakers listed in the OP, I've heard the TAD and the Mini 2 and decided to buy the latter. The TAD is excellent, but it is much more expensive than the others and does have a dedicated woofer for lower extension. If price were not an issue, the TAD would be my choice based on sonics and aesthetics, but the Mini 2 is almost as good IMO, for half the price as it is now discontinued.

If price is factored in, then JTinn's latest Micro wonder might be the best value, but I'm not sure anyone has heard a production version, so the discussion is mute. And based on one of the smaller Evolution Acoustics speakers (can't remember model #) I did hear priced around $20K, I preferred the Mini 2. If the AE MicroOne lives up to the hype, it should put a huge dent in TAD, Magico and Raidho's sales and perhaps own the segment. And it will make JT a fortune. It'll be interesting to see what happens after the long wait.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

You're not alone ;)

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

I agree. Before the Magico Mini was there any 2 way stand mounts above $10k? I think Magico created that market. Seems you would get better overall performance from sub $10k 2 ways and a couple of high quality subs.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I don't find $40k floor-standers any easier to understand that $25K stand-mounts (which is what we're really talking about, not monitors).

Tim

I suspect you've never had the opportunity to listen to Vandersteen 7's, just one example of a ~$50k/pr speaker that produces a far more lifelike illusion of live music than less expensive speakers. Or the TAD CR-1's, which for just under $40k/pr for stand-mount speakers are likewise astonishingly good.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I suspect you've never had the opportunity to listen to Vandersteen 7's, just one example of a ~$50k/pr speaker that produces a far more lifelike illusion of live music than less expensive speakers. Or the TAD CR-1's, which for just under $40k/pr for stand-mount speakers are likewise astonishingly good.

I've heard very good things about Vandersteens, but no, I've never heard apair.

Tim

Jhellow

Jul 12, 2011
I agree. Before the Magico Mini was there any 2 way stand mounts above $10k? I think Magico created that market. Seems you would get better overall performance from sub $10k 2 ways and a couple of high quality subs.

Sonus Faber Extremas were $12,500 with stands in the early 1990s. I still own a pair. I have heard the CR-1s, Magico Mini 2s and the Q1s, but under show conditions and with entirely different source components and amplification from each other, and from I have at home. Based only on what I heard at the shows, the only one of these that I would consider to replace the Extremas is the CR-1 (which is really a three way). My home system is pretty good, but in terms of cost does not compare to what the exhibitors used at the shows.

JHellow

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes the CR 1 is a three way design, using a mid/tweeter concentric driver mated to a bass unit. I included it in this comparison by virtue of it being a stand mount speaker. Essentially, very similar to the Unifield except that the later is a floor standing speaker

I'd love to hear the Unifield 1 next to the Mini 2. :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'd love to hear the Unifield 1 next to the Mini 2. :)

Jack, I've heard both, although not in the same system or room. To be Frank ( is he still here:rolleyes:) I think the Mini 2 would kill the Unifield 1 in the same system and room. The Unifield 1 is a good speaker but lacks the Mini 2's ability to delineate the inner detail that is one of the strengths of the Mini 2, at least in the demo that I heard it in.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Mini's tweeter, the 2904, is my favorite fabric tweeter around. Even on paper, I'd give the top end immediately to the Mini 2. I still would like to hear them side by side especially in dafos' system augmented with his JLs. The Uni's have a big and bold presentation if not as nuanced as the other speakers in the VS line. It should make for an interesting contrast in approaches.

I was impressed with the little YG I heard at last year's show. They did not sound at all the way that they looked (cold and industrial) driven by the Vitus Class A integrated. They were pretty sweet actually.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Of the four speakers listed in the OP, I've heard the TAD and the Mini 2 and decided to buy the latter. The TAD is excellent, but it is much more expensive than the others and does have a dedicated woofer for lower extension. If price were not an issue, the TAD would be my choice based on sonics and aesthetics, but the Mini 2 is almost as good IMO, for half the price as it is now discontinued.

If price is factored in, then JTinn's latest Micro wonder might be the best value, but I'm not sure anyone has heard a production version, so the discussion is mute. And based on one of the smaller Evolution Acoustics speakers (can't remember model #) I did hear priced around $20K, I preferred the Mini 2. If the AE MicroOne lives up to the hype, it should put a huge dent in TAD, Magico and Raidho's sales and perhaps own the segment. And it will make JT a fortune. It'll be interesting to see what happens after the long wait.

Hi Peter,

As a correction, we have shown the production version at quite a few shows. Thousands have heard them.

If you have not had a chance to hear them yet, please let me know your thoughts when you do.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The Mini's tweeter, the 2904, is my favorite fabric tweeter around. Even on paper, I'd give the top end immediately to the Mini 2. I still would like to hear them side by side especially in dafos' system augmented with his JLs. The Uni's have a big and bold presentation if not as nuanced as the other speakers in the VS line. It should make for an interesting contrast in approaches.

I was impressed with the little YG I heard at last year's show. They did not sound at all the way that they looked (cold and industrial) driven by the Vitus Class A integrated. They were pretty sweet actually.

While the Mini 2 tweeter ia excellent, IMO the Dynaudio sourced silk dome in the GH is even better. I think that one of the smartest moves that DW has done recently is to give up on the hard/bright sounding Focal based titanium dome and gone over to the silk dome. Again, IMHO, the silk dome is the best overall tweeter, better to my ears than ribbons or ceramics or most anything else you care to mention. No question some other competing designs have more extension or more power handling capability or?? But overall, I know which i think is the most musical. Ok, flame suit on:rolleyes:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've always found the esotar and esotechs too soft for my tastes whether they be in Dyns or SFs. Personally, ribbons are best for me and the 2904 comes closest without ringing.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Mm, funny but when I checked Madisound the Scanspeak Revelator ring radiator tweeter with the distinctive pointed center nozzle is no longer in the product list. Has it been replaced by a newer version?

Jack your welcome anytime for the shootout which I would conduct sans the sub. I can just imagine how the efficient Unifields will respond to 250w of tube power.. IMO, the sonics of any of the speakers mentioned in this thread is top notch and which speaker a listener chooses will depend on taste, budget and to a certain extent, aesthetics. I for one have no desire to trade the Mini for the q1 in spite of reviews proclaiming the latter to be much improved simply because of the Mini's distinctive looks and stature.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sounds cool Jerry :) Let's schedule it after this weekend. Keith and I are going to Singapore for the MOS DAC show. We'll be back Monday.

The R2904 is still Scanspeak's top ring tweeter, the R3004 is from the lower Illuminator line. Not replaced yet :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Like Jack, I'm a ribbon guy. And like Jack, I think that the 2904 is the best fabric tweeter available. However, my favorite speaker of the lot is not the one with the 2904, but the SFGH. I spent a lot of time at a dealer's in the 80's considering buying the original Guarnari, but just never saved up enough for it. I ended up with the MG3.5's - and then had to go into an escalating amplifier war to get enough power for them.

Dafos - it's available on the Madisound website: http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...r2904/7000-05-tweeter-black-face-silver-plug/
It was improved recently, so may be the designation might have changed if you bookmarked it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing