Magico M7 2023

I got so confused by this conversation, I went to Wikipedia to look up graphene.
To quote:
In 2004, the material was rediscovered, isolated and investigated at the University of Manchester, by Andre Geim and Konstantin Novoselov. In 2010, Geim and Novoselov were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics for their "groundbreaking experiments regarding the two-dimensional material graphene".

I did not go to Wikipedia to look up paper though.

I got so confused by this conversation, I went to Wikipedia to look up graphene.
To quote:
In 2004, the material was rediscovered, isolated and investigated at the University of Manchester, by Andre Geim and Konstantin Novoselov. In 2010, Geim and Novoselov were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics for their "groundbreaking experiments regarding the two-dimensional material graphene".

I did not go to Wikipedia to look up paper though.
From Wikipedia :
What happened in the year 105 AD?
The birth of paper, as we know it today, took place under the Chinese Han Dynasty in AD 105. Ts'ai Lun

From Wikipedia :
I didn't know people still used Wikipedia anymore? We had Encyclopedia's when I was a kid. I prefer ChatGPT these days.

"The choice between paper and carbon as a speaker driver material depends on the specific requirements and preferences of the speaker design and the intended application. For example, paper might be a good choice for midrange drivers in certain speaker systems, while carbon might be preferred for high-performance subwoofers.
Ultimately, it's essential to consider the overall speaker design, the type of sound you're aiming for, and the budget when selecting the appropriate driver material. Additionally, other factors like the driver's shape, size, and the quality of the engineering also play a significant role in determining the speaker's performance."

"Paper:

1. Lightweight: Paper cones are lightweight, which can be advantageous for certain speaker designs. Lighter cones can respond to audio signals more quickly, resulting in better transient response and detail in the sound.
  2. Natural sound: Paper can produce a warm and natural sound, which some people find pleasing for various types of music.
  3. Cost-effective: Paper cones are often less expensive to manufacture, making them a more budget-friendly option for speakers."

Reactions: AudioGod
The concern I have about the upper tier Magico speakers is the way they are connected to the speaker enclosure. While I'm certain they're clamping tech (i.e. through bolted to the rear enclosure) has sonic benefits it makes the speaker impossible to replace in the field and must be shipped back to the factory for replacement. It does look great!
What, no.

it’s easy. Loosen the tension rods. Find hidden baffle.

Reactions: HenryD
It’s a bargain!:)
There is a big difference between a 3-way and a 4-way loudspeaker ..
Everything has to work less hard and therefore better, less stress, less distortion
.. Alon Wolf

Exactly, that's why the latest gen of best speakers are 4 - way. The days of xover / driver integration are over. Once you hear a well - designed 4 - way (effortlessness, ultra - dynamics, concert - like levels without strain, improved micro detail) it's tough to unhear it versus everything else..

There are some exceptions (maybe some horns?) but not many.

There is a big difference between a 3-way and a 4-way loudspeaker ..
Everything has to work less hard and therefore better, less stress, less distortion
.. Alon Wolf

Exactly, that's why the latest gen of best speakers are 4 - way. The days of xover / driver integration are over. Once you hear a well - designed 4 - way (effortlessness, ultra - dynamics, concert - like levels without strain, improved micro detail) it's tough to unhear it versus everything else..

There are some exceptions (maybe some horns?) but not many.
Some examples of great 4- way speakers ?

Some examples of great 4- way speakers ?
Rockport Arrakis, Magico M7 / M9, Wilson Alex / Chronosonic, Vandersteen 7, EA MM7, and mine ;-)

Add subs and they're even better.

Rockport Arrakis, Magico M7 / M9, Wilson Alex / Chronosonic, Vandersteen 7, EA MM7, and mine ;-)

Add subs and they're even better.
Of course there are those who complain about incoherency with four designs. I have no such problem with my Alexx V's.

Reactions: marty and AudioGod
I like the look a lot, except the chrome base piece which seems a bit tacky to my taste, with too much contrast to the elegantly reserved look of the speaker. Maybe they have a black version.
Probably a "Delete-Chrome" option for an additional 20k :p

Of course there are those who complain about incoherency with four designs. I have no such problem with my Alexx V's.
There's never a shortage of people to complain about anything and everything including lack of coherence with 2, 3, 4 - way speakers. I certainly don't hear it in my Spirits either, in fact, I find it to be one of their biggest assets - an of one cloth coherent sound.

Yes, the Magico dealer in Hong Kong offered on-site service such as replacement of drivers for the M6 and Q7 of my friends.
How come quite a few Magico drivers go kaputt?
Is that a rather frequent issue?

There's never a shortage of people to complain about anything and everything including lack of coherence with 2, 3, 4 - way speakers. I certainly don't hear it in my Spirits either, in fact, I find it to be one of their biggest assets - an of one cloth coherent sound.

my Magico speakers were extremely coherent and I think it’s one of the strong qualities of the brand.

How come quite a few Magico drivers go kaputt?
Is that a rather frequent issue?
The Magico diamond-coated tweeters are fragile.
Two of my friends had the tweeters damaged accidentally by their maids. Very unfortunate.

The Magico diamond-coated tweeters are fragile.
Two of my friends had the tweeters damaged accidentally by their maids. Very unfortunate.
If the have maids , then I'm sure that it's not that big of a problem ;)
On a more serious note I've heard the same about some other brands that are famous for using diamond tweeterst hat they're very fragile

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing