Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Heard that it has 12" + 9" !
:oops:

Last edited:

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
Looking at the photo, it makes sense that it probably has two 9” above the tweeter with a 5” (or 6”) midrange with two 11” or 12” at the bottom. I’m assuming Magico is not going to make brand new drivers which is why I’m a bit skeptical about the 12” driver. It would make more sense to simply reuse the A5/S3/M9 drivers. But then Magico is also often cost no object.

What I don’t understand is the market for this product but then I am not in the income bracket to afford it.
If you can afford something more than M6, wouldn’t you just automatically go to M9. Why would you choose this M7? Because the M9 is too big but the M7 just fits better than the M6?

Regardless, kudos to all the future owners of the speaker.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
M7 looks to be a unified cabinet design

Easier to place in a room

I bet that’s the end for me

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Looking at the photo, it makes sense that it probably has two 9” above the tweeter with a 5” (or 6”) midrange with two 11” or 12” at the bottom. I’m assuming Magico is not going to make brand new drivers which is why I’m a bit skeptical about the 12” driver. It would make more sense to simply reuse the A5/S3/M9 drivers. But then Magico is also often cost no object.

What I don’t understand is the market for this product but then I am not in the income bracket to afford it.
If you can afford something more than M6, wouldn’t you just automatically go to M9. Why would you choose this M7? Because the M9 is too big but the M7 just fits better than the M6?

With 172K USD MSRP for M6 and 750K for M9 , there would appear to be plenty of room for an M7.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

M9 is not only big & heavy, but also very tall. Not easy to integrate into many home environment.

The mandatory bi-amplication of M9 is rather complicated and costly too.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Its a Magico so i do expect it to be well built and of high quality , but it’s still a single tweeter and same Mids as lower models , larger cabinet more bass drivers , seems unbalanced IMO , if not then lower models are , audio in the Midband and tweeter area will be equivalent , drive amplification will have to be massive into the expected low Z loads..!!

Sweet ..!!

Regards

Reactions: AudioGod

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Interesting. The resale value of these high priced speakers is abysmal.

Q7 mk2 retail 230k. One on audiogon can't sell for 80k. LOL

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015

Hey man
Tell the whole picture
The one on audiogon looks like it fell off the back of a truck
Maybe that’s why it’s not selling?

Reactions: ecwl and treitz3

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hey man
Tell the whole picture
The one on audiogon looks like it fell off the back of a truck
Maybe that’s why it’s not selling?

Gimme a break.
That the dealer doesn't want to spend another 13k to fix some cosmetic damage on the back of one speaker says everything.

If it is such a bargin, it would have been snapped up.

Overpriced to start with and over the top $$ to fix some cosmetic damage.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Gimme a break.
That the dealer doesn't want to spend another 13k to fix some cosmetic damage on the back of one speaker says everything.

If it is such a bargin, it would have been snapped up.

Overpriced to start with and over the top $$ to fix some cosmetic damage.
No one is buying a 700 lb speaker that has cosmetic defects and a broken speaker binding post and a bent qpod footer. Not for $80k.

The reason it’s not selling is not because there’s not a market for an $80,000 Q7, it’s because a person at that price point is going to spend 90,000 on a mint condition unit.

Alpha121

Aug 15, 2020
My dealer saw it, listened to it, says it phenomenal and the price will be half the price of the M9.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
No one is buying a 700 lb speaker that has cosmetic defects and a broken speaker binding post and a bent qpod footer. Not for $80k.

The reason it’s not selling is not because there’s not a market for an $80,000 Q7, it’s because a person at that price point is going to spend 90,000 on a mint condition unit.

90K resale on a mint speaker that was 230k.
Thanks, you reinforce my statement that it is a rip off.

Last edited:

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
90K resale on a mint speaker that was 230k.
Thanks, you reinforce my statement that it is a rip off.
35%-40% on a used flagship is the typical going rate 7 years out. Not sure what you’re trying to get at. Magico is not immune to the normal dynamics of the market. The last few q7 mk2 that sold were approx 108,000. This one is way beat up so someone with the money to spend 80, isn’t afraid to spend another 10-20 for a good unit.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

The price gap between M6 and M9 is tremendous.
M9 is a massive speaker, you need huge space for it, which is not something everyone has. also considering that M6 is older, Magico introduced all of the new technology since the introduction of the M6.

Reactions: Bobvin

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
The price gap between M6 and M9 is tremendous.
M9 is a massive speaker, you need huge space for it, which is not something everyone has. also considering that M6 is older, Magico introduced all of the new technology since the introduction of the M6.
100% agree on the pricing. Except M7 looks pretty huge to me too so I presume you will still need a huge space for it.
I just thought that it makes more sense to make say M6 2023 for US$200,000 with a 5” midrange, a 9” and a 11” drivers with the M9 tech, or even a new M3 2023 with a 5” midrange and two 9” drivers with M9 tech for US$110,000 as Magico’s next product since they’ll probably sell more?
On the other hand, maybe there is a huge demand for a US375,000 M7 that I’m not aware of. Since I’m not in that income bracket, I wouldn’t know the purchasing mindset of those who would want an M7.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Alexandria X2 Series 2 was announced in 2010. The retail was about $158K when announced. The Q7 was announced in 2011. The Q7 was $165K when announced.

Look at HiFi Shark. You can find several X2 series 2 for around $20Kusd.

All large scale speakers, whether Magico, Wilson, Goldmund, you name it, 10-15 years after they are announced drop drastically in price. Picking out one brand vs another to try and denigrate a brand is the LOL here.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
With 172K USD MSRP for M6 and 750K for M9 , there would appear to be plenty of room for an M7.
With the XVX approaching 370K (2024 pricing I am told), I have to imagine M7 is going to pitch nearby...I am guessing slightly higher.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing