Madfloyd's System

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He has the white base cheapo 101ds...it would be nice for him to have the WE replicas or some nice Psvane/Sophia royal pricess 300Bs, no?

With JRiver, native rate playback in either DSD or PCM is the way to go.

Yes but he should get sufficient bass from the white bass as well. I think cheapo 101ds on Lampi sufficient to beat other PCM products out there ranging till 100k :D - how many of the Lampi cult have actually heard expensive originals? Lampi is the David that keeps slaying the Goliath. A slingshot is sufficient, Uzi submachine gun not required

Last edited:

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Nope. Should I?

I switched back to my Analog DAC this morning and noticed the bass was not great. I then set JRiver to not convert to DSD and it got a lot better. So now I'm suspicious of what JRiver's conversion is doing (and yes, I know you have said it's not good), but I've never broken in the PCM portion of the B7 so I can't really test it.

Nobody ever speaks of the Lampi's PCM mode. Is it because it's not great or that converting to DSD is just a bit better?

PCM fab as well....takes a while to break everything in....

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Floyd, I think you made a good discovery with JPlays effects on sonics. So many guys are hot to trot for upasmpling to DSD, etc and I have never been a fan of manipulating the data....JMO...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Another 300 hours to break in PCM. Ian's thread is like a reality TV show

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Another 300 hours to break in PCM. Ian's thread is like a reality TV show

Complete with drama! I had one of my 101D's bite the bullet this morning.

Now I'm in discussion with Lampizator North America to get my money back.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Complete with drama! I had one of my 101D's bite the bullet this morning.

Now I'm in discussion with Lampizator North America to get my money back.

Oh that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
MadFloyd,

Don't be cheap. Get the Vivaldi. Or Trinity DAC :p

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Today I had the great pleasure to listen once again to Ian's system. We had a wonderful and fun time listening to and debating the sound of his system with the new cartridge. His vinyl playback has greatly impressed me before, but this time it was different. It was incredible. It also was the best resolution that I have ever heard from any system, and that by a significant margin.

Ian's playback chain now stands out by its immense harmonic integrity. I have commented on that characteristic of his Magico M Pro speakers before, but now it is audible that the entire chain is one whole in this respect, even more so than previously. While it was evident right away from a piece for acoustic guitar that we were dealing with something special, the harmonic integrity was on full display on a magnificent recording of piano works by Liszt (Alfred Brendel, Philips). I have never heard such convincing overtones from reproduced piano sound before, it was uncannily natural. The detail in the sound was wholly integrated, it did not scream "listen to how much detail there is!", it was just there in all its richness and subtlety, quite like live. While Ian had trouble so far finding great placement of these speakers in his room, today everything appeared to fall into place. There was depth and great presence, and the notes just beautifully hung in space at some distance, believably suggesting that we were sitting in a concert hall.

A recording of Mozart string quintets (Philips) was another occasion for a joyful jaw drop. I knew this recording from excellent playback elsewhere, but this time there was an as yet unheard wealth of natural and effortless detail in the violin sound, in the vibration of strings and body. Transients were superbly clear and fast. Solo violin is in my view among the hardest things to reproduce on a system, and Ian's vinyl playback resolved violin sound unlike anything else I have experienced, and that in a natural, easy going manner. The transparent presence on this recording was once again startling, with the players now more upfront compared to the piano recording.

A light, and at times humorous, orchestral piece by an English composer was next. The sound was translucent and light, but not thin by any means. It is hard for a system to strike such a balance, but Ian's system succeeded brilliantly. The violin section produced the best sound that I have heard from this group of instruments on any system, and it was better by a significant margin than on Ian's system last time, even though that had already been outstanding. So finely textured with a silvery sheen but also believable body, it was just impressive. Triangle sound was marvelous.

Quite different were the earthy sounds from Bartok's Dance Suite (Dorati, Philharmonia Hungarica on Mercury), while once again the clarity and separation of instruments were striking. The original pressing from the 1950s had become a bit noisy, but I didn't mind at all while normally I am quite sensitive to surface noise. Ian suggested, in case it bothered me, that we switch to a re-issue of the same recording, but I found that unnecessary.

We ended with a piece from a Sonny Rollins LP. Everything sounded right, from the big and round tones of the saxophone to the percussion with believable transients on cymbals, impactful drums and great sounding stand-up bass with immaculate definition of tone and pitch. The new speaker placement (a bit further back and apart) contributes favorably to the presence of bass as well.

That last piece also showed the advantages of a large speaker, which can capture the size of an instrument such as a close-up saxophone better than smaller speakers; I recognize the limits of my mini-monitors here, great as they may be sounding otherwise. On the other hand, the M Pro is also capable of reproducing small size in a convincing manner that I have not yet heard from any other large speaker (Peter A agrees with me on this, we both are very critical when it comes to correct reproduction of small size). The exquisite presentation of the instruments in the Mozart string quintet by the M Pros was a case in point.

All in all, it was a remarkable session, and the best sound I have ever heard. It left an enormous impression on me.

Bravo, Ian!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Today I had the great pleasure to listen once again to Ian's system. We had a wonderful and fun time listening to and debating the sound of his system with the new cartridge. His vinyl playback has greatly impressed me before, but this time it was different. It was incredible. It also was the best resolution that I have ever heard from any system, and that by a significant margin.

Ian's playback chain now stands out by its immense harmonic integrity. I have commented on that characteristic of his Magico M Pro speakers before, but now it is audible that the entire chain is one whole in this respect, even more so than previously. While it was evident right away from a piece for acoustic guitar that we were dealing with something special, the harmonic integrity was on full display on a magnificent recording of piano works by Liszt (Alfred Brendel, Philips). I have never heard such convincing overtones from reproduced piano sound before, it was uncannily natural. The detail in the sound was wholly integrated, it did not scream "listen to how much detail there is!", it was just there in all its richness and subtlety, quite like live. While Ian had trouble so far finding great placement of these speakers in his room, today everything appeared to fall into place. There was depth and great presence, and the notes just beautifully hung in space at some distance, believably suggesting that we were sitting in a concert hall.

A recording of Mozart string quintets (Philips) was another occasion for a joyful jaw drop. I knew this recording from excellent playback elsewhere, but this time there was an as yet unheard wealth of natural and effortless detail in the violin sound, in the vibration of strings and body. Transients were superbly clear and fast. Solo violin is in my view among the hardest things to reproduce on a system, and Ian's vinyl playback resolved violin sound unlike anything else I have experienced, and that in a natural, easy going manner. The transparent presence on this recording was once again startling, with the players now more upfront compared to the piano recording.

A light, and at times humorous, orchestral piece by an English composer was next. The sound was translucent and light, but not thin by any means. It is hard for a system to strike such a balance, but Ian's system succeeded brilliantly. The violin section produced the best sound that I have heard from this group of instruments on any system, and it was better by a significant margin than on Ian's system last time, even though that had already been outstanding. So finely textured with a silvery sheen but also believable body, it was just impressive. Triangle sound was marvelous.

Quite different were the earthy sounds from Bartok's Dance Suite (Dorati, Philharmonia Hungarica on Mercury), while once again the clarity and separation of instruments were striking. The original pressing from the 1950s had become a bit noisy, but I didn't mind at all while normally I am quite sensitive to surface noise. Ian suggested, in case it bothered me, that we switch to a re-issue of the same recording, but I found that unnecessary.

We ended with a piece from a Sonny Rollins LP. Everything sounded right, from the big and round tones of the saxophone to the percussion with believable transients on cymbals, impactful drums and great sounding stand-up bass with immaculate definition of tone and pitch. The new speaker placement (a bit further back and apart) contributes favorably to the presence of bass as well.

That last piece also showed the advantages of a large speaker, which can capture the size of an instrument such as a close-up saxophone better than smaller speakers; I recognize the limits of my mini-monitors here, great as they may be sounding otherwise. On the other hand, the M Pro is also capable of reproducing small size in a convincing manner that I have not yet heard from any other large speaker (Peter A agrees with me on this, we both are very critical when it comes to correct reproduction of small size). The exquisite presentation of the instruments in the Mozart string quintet by the M Pros was a case in point.

All in all, it was a remarkable session, and the best sound I have ever heard. It left an enormous impression on me.

Bravo, Ian!

Al,

Thanks for the informative and colorful report. You choose great music - was it the Quartetto Italiano with Arthur Grumiaux?

I will listen to the M-Project again soon - this time with Constellation Audio in a friend system. Probably I will carry the Mozart string quintet LP to listen!

Did you listen to any digital?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Great report Al. I agree with your observations. I installed Ian's new top-of-the-line ZYX Universe Premium? cartridge three or so weeks ago and was astonished at how much better it made his system sound.

Microstrip, the Mozart String Quintets that Al describes are on Philips with the Grumiaux Trios. I think they played Volume 1. I have all three volumes and they are superb. What really strikes me about Ian's system is its ability to sound both highly detailed and resolving and yet very natural and completely effortless. Dynamics and tone are excellent, and I am glad to learn that the sense of presence has improved with better speaker positioning. For a large speaker system, it does what all Magico speakers do well, namely, it produces a very coherent, non fatiguing sound with very little distortion or coloration. His system makes music.

With the latest Pass Labs electronics and now the new turntable/arm/cartridge, Ian's system sounds more convincing than any system I have heard anywhere. I don't listen to much digital either when I am there. I just wish Ian lived even closer so I could hang out there more often.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Al and Peter, are saying you trusted your ear, and Ian's system sounds good? :)

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

Bravo, Ian!

Hi Al,

What a wonderful review of Ian's system! Has he installed the Pass Labs XS-150 monoblocks yet? Ian's system is world class in every since of the word. I think the strides that Magico has made with the M-Pro put them right on top with the combination of detailed, dynamic and organic sound. The Pass Labs XS-Pre and XS-150 combo also deliver a wonderfully organic sound and from what I've read, they're a wonderful synergistic match with Magico. Last but not least is Ian's analog source, which is top notch as well. Ian has put together an amazing system. We applaud you Ian. :)

Best,
Ken

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Al and Peter, are saying you trusted your ear, and Ian's system sounds good? :)

That's a good one, Bud. Yes, I trust my ears just like when I listen to live music. If I had Ian's system, I don't think I would spend much time reading forums. I'd be way too busy listening to music. The measurement/digital/DSP/DSD/objective crowd would be well served by hearing a system like this right after hearing a live concert. It is quite surprising how natural and convincing this analog/Class A system sounds. From what I've read, ddk/David has achieved something similar.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing