Listening amp candidates for R1s

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joost

The Conrad Johnson GAT/ART combo has this in the room, you are there three dimensional sound that almost makes you think that you could reach out and touch the singers or grab an instrument from the musicians. I love the sound. Totally happy.

High Potential

Sep 5, 2013
Hi Eli,

Since you are already having ARC Ref250 for an audition, are you curious or interested in CJ GAT and ART mono vs the ARC? I am sure many here would love to hear your comment on these 2 brands with the R1, especially after Joe's exemplarary comments on the CJ and his TAD CR1.

Cheers,

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Eli,

Since you are already having ARC Ref250 for an audition, are you curious or interested in CJ GAT and ART mono vs the ARC? I am sure many here would love to hear your comment on these 2 brands with the R1, especially after Joe's exemplarary comments on the CJ and his TAD CR1.

Cheers,

+1!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I absolutely LOVE my GAT and my Dartzeel 108 amp together. It's a wonderful combination.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Hi Eli,

Cheers,

Yes I am. I am not sure if I will be able to try the CJ gear though. I need to speak to the local distributor to see if he has them, but I will sure try. It was not a candidate in my mind initially but given Joe's comments, and having him tried a lot of combinations, I would like to hear them if I can.

I am curious to listen to the 250 with R1. Had the 210 home in the past, and did not really like it, but the new amps from ARC sound very different (improved). The 150 was very good when I heard it. Should be this weekend if dealer drops them on Friday or Monday the latest. Will try to call CJ dealer tomorrow. He is the same guy that sells boulder so need to speak to him anyway.

The TAD 600M and boulder alternatives, are growing on me... Just from a conceptual perspective that is since haven't hear any in my system, but I think they make sense, each for a different reason. Let's see. I may be surprised.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
JOe you like this combo better or the all CJ combo?

I enjoy my all CJ combo (GAT/ART) more. But the GAT and Dartzeel amp is a close second, less maintenance too.

GAT does not have balanced inputs / outputs? Does ART do?

All CJ is single ended, no XLR or balanced input/output on anything.

High Potential

Sep 5, 2013
Yes I am. I am not sure if I will be able to try the CJ gear though. I need to speak to the local distributor to see if he has them, but I will sure try. It was not a candidate in my mind initially but given Joe's comments, and having him tried a lot of combinations, I would like to hear them if I can.

I am curious to listen to the 250 with R1. Had the 210 home in the past, and did not really like it, but the new amps from ARC sound very different (improved). The 150 was very good when I heard it. Should be this weekend if dealer drops them on Friday or Monday the latest. Will try to call CJ dealer tomorrow. He is the same guy that sells boulder so need to speak to him anyway.

The TAD 600M and boulder alternatives, are growing on me... Just from a conceptual perspective that is since haven't hear any in my system, but I think they make sense, each for a different reason. Let's see. I may be surprised.

Hi Eli,

How's your amp audition going? Or are some of the candidates still in break in phase?

I hope you have narrowed down the choices a little, but this surely must be a very enjoyable personal adventure.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Based on my own experience and perspective, I can not live without tubes on my CR-1's. I have since acquired an EAR 868 tube preamp and am trying it with my ART monos and eventually my Dartzeel amp. The 868 is nowhere near broken in but it's sounding really good with the ART amps. I have a feeling the EAR 868 will sound great on the Dart as well. Tubes give my TADs more depth and dimension. Since getting the GAT and ART monos, my TAD CR-1's have never sounded better. It's just incredible.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Hi Eli,

How's your amp audition going? Or are some of the candidates still in break in phase?

I hope you have narrowed down the choices a little, but this surely must be a very enjoyable personal adventure.

Hi HP,

I have the 250 right now in the system for the last week and a half or so. I really like them. Very musical, and big dynamic sound. Nice tonality. Not sure the most realistic one, but very pleasant to listen to and emotional, so do not really care. Has improved on the bass a lot with regards to the 210. Still not the same as SS on the lows, but a big improvement from previous versions.

Strings are fantastic, specially in chamber representations. WHen things get big, like symphonies or concertos the sound is very dynamic and also enjoyable, although in these cases i think there may be needed a bit more power for my speakers. Things get a bit confused in very complex passages on the back of the scene, as if the amps were not fully able to control the drivers when things go really big.

Nevertheless I think it is a very pleasant sound. One that I can listen for hours as it has something magical to it. Overall, and this is a surprise I guess, I like it better in my system than the momentums. I have really enjoyed them.

Not to the extend of buying them, I do not think, since I do feel they are a bit short of muscle for some situations; but makes me wonder and really consider the 750 as a candidate. If it wan't for the trillion tubes up there and the amount of heat I think they would be very much on top, for what I have heard of the 250s. But even with that, I still consider them as one of the main alternatives. If so I would keep my SS amps to change between them. Problem is I do not think I will be able to listen to the 750s. I am more interested in having the 750s home to see in person how bad the heat gets, since sonically I think I have an idea of what they could sound like after hearing the 250, although I may be surprised.

So in short, the 250 were a pleasant surprise and highly recommended. An all ARC with REF40 makes a very nice team and invites you to listen for hours and hours.

I think it may be today that I will get the TAD M600. Nad next week I may hear the Mephisto stereo but in an all Mephisto system at a show, so more for curiosity than anything else since I do not think that will give me any clue of how it will perform in my system. Later in the year I think I may be able to listen to the Monos, if I do not take a decission before.

Had not made any progress on CJ or Boulder. CJ single ended is a problem for me right now. And boulder they are not bringing the new 2150, so I do not see how I am going to do anything blind at those levels... We will see.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Finally I did not get the TAD on time for the weekend. Was listening more closely to the ref 250 and it is really nice. But trying to find some info and experiences on the 750, there is really not much out there. Seems no owners or reviews or really much beyond the own ARC info and minor comments on specs. Wonder why that is.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Haven't seen any reviews of the Atlas Signature or Monos, but Stereophile review the Atlas:

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/aesthetix_atlas_power_amplifier

They seem to be available in a number of European countries:

http://www.aesthetix.net/dealers.php?t=distributors

Interesting Roy Gregory review here, runs through Signature pre/power/phono

http://www.aesthetix.net/docs/Aesthetix-HIFI+Review2011.pdf

A few guys I know mentioned that Concert Fidelity / TAD CR1 was best in show at the recent National Audio Show in the UK, IIRC Concert Fidelity have used R1's at shows in Asia and recommend them.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
ok so tried the TAD M600 at home... but only for one day and a half.... they had to take it to a show in the uk or something. SO not a very reliable opnion here. In any case they do sound great.

Very detailed presentation, rich and nice. Musical too. The layers of presentation and the extend of clarity, how well everything is presented and "organized" is just incredible. The solos are so detailed and rich is just incredible. Clearly superior to the ones I have heard so far. If only one thing it did seem to lack a bit on impact and also bass extension at very low frequencies. Which was a surprise. As if they could use a bit more power. I need to listen to them again. Since I think it can not be the case given they designed these to move this speakers and should be perfect there. Will try to have them back as soon as I can. If this perception I heard proves wrong they could very well be candidates.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
ok so tried the TAD M600 at home... but only for one day and a half.... they had to take it to a show in the uk or something. SO not a very reliable opnion here. In any case they do sound great.

Very detailed presentation, rich and nice. Musical too. The layers of presentation and the extend of clarity, how well everything is presented and "organized" is just incredible. The solos are so detailed and rich is just incredible. Clearly superior to the ones I have heard so far. If only one thing it did seem to lack a bit on impact and also bass extension at very low frequencies. Which was a surprise. As if they could use a bit more power. I need to listen to them again. Since I think it can not be the case given they designed these to move this speakers and should be perfect there. Will try to have them back as soon as I can. If this perception I heard proves wrong they could very well be candidates.

Shame you only had them for such a short period of time, hopefully you will get them back soon to be able to form a better opinion.

The bass impact/extension and just the power, grip and control these amps had on the woofers was something that stood out for me the 3 times I have heard all TAD demo's at shows, so there is likely something else at play besides the M600's.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Absolutely. they were very good in all aspects but that. I thought it was something else but did not have time to really try things. Maybe cables. I had to use a different set than what I normally use since these use 15A EIC and mine are 20A EIC. It is true that the Omegas are 600 at 8ohm and 1200 at 4 Ohm so they do produce a sound with lost of dynamic and impact is just great. But I think you do not need that much power to make these speakers sound like that.

In every other aspect they were fantastic. Really at a different level to my taste than any other I had in my system. If I prove wrong in these early impressions on the mentioned shortfalls they will be serious candidates. The mix of detail and texture, plus perfect layout of the presentation with highly musical and engaging sound was quite impressive.

Will try to listen to them again asap.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing