List Some Of Your Favorite Foreign Films With English Subtitles

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Since the beginning of this thread... no mention of the Kurosawa's RAN as one the best foreign films with English subtitles... what's going on here! ;)

Famous...saw it in film class many years ago.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I dare not watch this alone at night. I asked my family if anyone is willing. None. So I just read the plot in Wiki and it was scary just reading it. I can imagine with the sound effects and visual gore, I would be sleepless for a few nights.

Smart family :) Don't watch it at night. I think that it's a masterful piece of film-making as there wasn't much gore or anything explicit. The atmosphere it generates is quite chilling.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Themonkeyking-thumb-300xauto-35312.jpg

I am eagerly awaiting for the showing of this new production, supposedly late this year. I've seen a 1970s version of this classic story and I couldn't forget the scene of this mischievous man/monkey with great powers guiding a Buddhist monk to the West to retrieve some sacred scrolls. I would have wished Ang Lee would direct such a film and it would have made my life. :)

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
La Fee (The Fairy) French comedy

Im Juli (In July) German Comedy

Eyes without a Face (French horror)

Let the Right One In (Norwegian vampire)

Kitchen Stories

Breathless

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
A few good movies:

Nine Queens (Nueve reinas/Argentina), excellent crime/heist movie. If you like the genre like I do, this one's a must.
Good Bye Lenin! (Germany), quirky comedy about the old East German habits
Chinese Take-out (Un cuento chino/Argentina), another excellent movie with Ricardo Darín.

Unfortunately, Brazil's movie production is sub-par, and I can't recommend anything from here.

alexandre

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
95% of scottish films would require subtitles , even if they are in english

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The three SWEDISH productions of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy were absolutely riveting.

I would be remiss if I didn't say, I HATE subtitled films, but these were fantastic.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I watch a lot of foreign film, so I am tempted to list several. However, there is one that stands above the crowd in social significance. It is 4 Luni, 3 S?pt?mâni ?i 2 Zile (4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days). This award winning Romanian film of a true story takes difficult subject matter, and presents it in a completely unbiased way that will make the viewer question his perspective on the issue.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Kurosawa's Rashomon
Bergman's Seventh Seal
Fellini 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita

For getting depressed, in college my first Bergman was a double feature - Virgin Spring and Winter Light.
For not understand what is going on Resnais' Last Year at Marienbad

Larry

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Kurosawa's Rashomon
Bergman's Seventh Seal
Fellini 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita

For getting depressed, in college my first Bergman was a double feature - Virgin Spring and Winter Light.
For not understand what is going on Resnais' Last Year at Marienbad

Larry

Can't go wrong with pretty much anything Bergman ever did. From what I recall "Persona" was particularly powerful.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
One of the most depressing movies I have seen in a long time, in the grand European art movie tradition: Lilya 4 ever. Russian movie.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
One of the most depressing movies I have seen in a long time, in the grand European art movie tradition: Lilya 4 ever. Russian movie.

That was a pretty good movie, but almost all Russian movies are good. I believe there is something terribly honest about Eastern European movies that is missing in most movies made in the Western Hemisphere.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
That was a pretty good movie, but almost all Russian movies are good. I believe there is something terribly honest about Eastern European movies that is missing in most movies made in the Western Hemisphere.

Even the best of the best in "Western Hemisphere" movies (say something like "Taxi Driver") are never stories you imagine could have really happened. So there may be great storytelling, acting, moviemaking and artistry, at the end of the day the experience is one of entertainment.

By contrast, a movie like "Lilya 4 ever", feels like it could have happened and offers you a glimpse into another world, opening and enriches the mind (somewhat like international travel).

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Last night my wife and I watched "The Intouchables", a French film about a man who takes a job as a caretaker of a wealthy quadriplegic. This is one of the most touching, funny films I've seen in years and based on a true story. Just fantastic!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
MiTT,

I saw that one, and it's indeed excellent! I couldn't remember the name, so thanks for the reminder :)

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing