May 15, 2010
It's Been Awhile

since I've watched movies...
I'd add -- Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios :D

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
My wife and I saw "Of Gods and Men" last weekend. The story is based on actual events in Algeria in 1995. A contemplative, very moving story which is very well told and features Gregorian chant as part of the soundtrack. Highly recommended as a break from the usual holiday seasonal movie fare:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I adopted a son from China in December so I have been watching some Chinese movies based on historical people/events. Mongol is pretty good,

Watched Mongol and it's a good movie indeed. The sound and scenes were great. I've always been intrigued by these so called 'barbarians' labelled by the Han Chinese who conquered so much land in Asia and ruled China under the Yuan Dynasty.

One of the best one liners I've seen happened in this movie too.

Fiance of Genghis Khan: "Temudjin (his real name), touch me." (It was getting to be quite a romantic scene) when Khan replied: "Borte (fiance's name), if I touch you, I might break you in 2."

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Watched Mongol and it's a good movie indeed. The sound and scenes were great. I've always been intrigued by these so called 'barbarians' labelled by the Han Chinese who conquered so much land in Asia and ruled China under the Yuan Dynasty.

One of the best one liners I've seen happened in this movie too.

Fiance of Genghis Khan: "Temudjin (his real name), touch me." (It was getting to be quite a romantic scene) when Khan replied: "Borte (fiance's name), if I touch you, I might break you in 2."

This is one of my favourite movies. I understand there is a sequel in the making, but I haven't checked on it.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This is one of my favourite movies. I understand there is a sequel in the making, but I haven't checked on it.

I hope there is. :)

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Jean de Florette and the sequel Manon of the Spring

This is an excellent suggestion and should not have been left languishing on page 2 with nobody to back you up. This is probably one of the most memorable French movies you will ever see. It is set in the French countryside, with a very young Gerard Depardieu, Yves Montand, and Daniel Auteuil. Depardieu is an accountant who decides to move to the country to take up a life of farming. The poor weather and lack of water conspires against him, as do his neighbours (Montand and Auteuil) who want to buy his land cheaply. The acting is poignant and the scenery is amazing. All the characters are handled with sympathy, and the landscape is rough but believable. Both movies are quite simply beautiful and breathtaking and should not be missed.

“City of God “Brazilian … A poignant hard, movie. A level of violence that is almost unreal... Alas, it is more than common in some parts of the world and even , often (pardon the overuse of adverbs) under our own noses … vide what happen in LA or other inner cities gangs or sometimes in the suburbs. A MUST see …

I agree with this recommendation as well! The colours of the movie are of brown and baked earth, even the people seem to be caked in mud and poverty. The movie is very violent, but it is not the casual, mindless violence that you see in American movies. Here there is real impact. In the end it is really depressing.

I have a couple of recommendations :)

Himalaya is a movie unlike any other you will see. The plot is very simple - people from a remote village in the Himalayas need to drive a yak caravan through snow and treacherous mountains into the city to trade salt for food. A young upstart challenges the old village head and they form seperate caravans to go to the city. Along the way, numerous disasters intervene and (you guessed it) they end up working together. This movie impresses not because of its plot intricacy, but because the actors are all amateurs taken from remote villages in the Himalayas. The view is stunning - clear blue skies, white snow, brown rock, and not a hint of green to be seen. In fact the movie's highlight is when the child, who has never seen a tree, sees one for the first time. For 90 minutes you are exposed to the relentless elements and the verdant change is surprising.

Zatoichi is a film directed by Japanese legend Takeshi Kitano. It is about a blind swordsman who humbly wanders the country as a masseur. He encounters a gang bullying some villagers and slaughters them all. It is made with style and is really entertaining :)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
'Incendies'

One of the Best Movies I saw this year with and ending I did not see coming.

-----Wow Jim, I don't know many people who are even aware of this little French (Quebecois) film gem. :b

Yep, it's rather boring for most of its running time (unless you let yourself flow in it),
but the ending indeed compensates amply for anything else in life. ...Totally dramatic and ... :eek:

* 'City of God' is a good flick too.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
'City of God'

In no particular order:

Amarcord
Cinema Paradiso
Volver
L'Atalante
Nosferatu
The Bicycle Thief
The Conformist
A Prophet
All About My Mother
Repulsion
La Dolce Vita
8 1/2
Nights of Cabiria
The Legend of 1900
City Of God
Talk To Her
Amelie
A Very Long Engagement
The Seven Samurai
Metropolis
The Killer
Amores Perros
Life Is Beautiful
The City Of Lost Children
Delicatessen
No Man's Land
Indochine
The Counterfeiters
La Strada
War And Peace
Z
C.R.A.Z.Y.
The Barbarian Invasions
The Decline Of The American Empire
The Sweet Hereafter

...And there are many more...
And I can write a book about each one of them! ...Cinematography and all... But I just won't! :)

-----Yep, it was already on my short list.

--- 7739_medium.jpg

---...---Click ^ on it for more.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
-----Wow Jim, I don't know many people who are even aware of this little French (Quebecois) film gem. :b

Yep, it's rather boring for most of its running time (unless you let yourself flow in it),
but the ending indeed compensates amply for anything else in life. ...Totally dramatic and ... :eek:

* 'City of God' is a good flick too.

Another excellent French film is "Des hommes et des dieux" or "Of Gods and Men"

Jim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Another excellent French film is "Des hommes et des dieux" or "Of Gods and Men"

Jim

-----Thx Jim, I'll have to give that one a viewing for sure.

-----

------.------ Click ^ on it!

-----Cannot remember for sure if I saw this flick before or not; but no matter I will now or again.

That is cool that you guys share some great foreign films' suggestions. :cool: I'm all in! :b

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The-Four.jpg

Was searching for The Monkey King movie and accidentally stumbled into this one. Hailed as a martial arts version of X-men and Fantastic Four, it is actually very entertaining for those who are fond of ancient fantasy/swordsmen Chinese movies ala Crouching Tiger, and it has a more down to earth and easy to follow story line than CT. Still, I'm waiting for the release of latest remake of The Monkey King starring Donnie Yen of Ip Man fame.

Terry E.

Aug 25, 2012
The Home of the Brave
The Lives of Others

La Vi en Rose

Any of director Michael Haneke's movies I've seen, especially:

The White Ribbon
Cache
Benny's Video

There are so many, but the above-listed is what comes to mind first.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Since the beginning of this thread... no mention of the Kurosawa's RAN as one the best foreign films with English subtitles... what's going on here! ;)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I hate subtitles, though while watching the DeCaprio/Danes Romeo & Juliet the other night, I was begging for them.

Tim

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I listen to far more music than watch films, but the most scared I have been has been with a Thai horror film. I watched most of the movie with the hairs standing on the back of my neck.

I dare not watch this alone at night. I asked my family if anyone is willing. None. So I just read the plot in Wiki and it was scary just reading it. I can imagine with the sound effects and visual gore, I would be sleepless for a few nights.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing