List Some Of Your Favorite Foreign Films With English Subtitles

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Even the best of the best in "Western Hemisphere" movies (say something like "Taxi Driver") are never stories you imagine could have really happened. So there may be great storytelling, acting, moviemaking and artistry, at the end of the day the experience is one of entertainment.

By contrast, a movie like "Lilya 4 ever", feels like it could have happened and offers you a glimpse into another world, opening and enriches the mind (somewhat like international travel).

True, but there are rare examples of Western film that do qualify. "Acts of Worship" comes to mind. It's an Indie film that rivals anything I have ever seen when it comes to sheer realism and social content.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I adopted a son from China in December so I have been watching some Chinese movies based on historical people/events. Mongol is pretty good, but Red Cliff is an incredible epic movie directed by John Woo. It is 280 minutes long (make sure you get the international version) but the movie is over before you know it. The Blu-ray has excellent video and audio quality. If you like Lawrence of Arabia or Lord of the Rings, you should like the enormous battles, beautiful landscapes, and character development that Red Cliff offers.

Finally saw Red Cliff and Red Cliff II. Having seen these kinds of films growing up as required by our Chinese language high school teachers, I should say this 2 part epic of a movie by John Woo is absolutely magnificent. He still had the problem of squeezing the long historical plot into 2 hours per movie, for as I learned, there is a 28 disc DVD (made for TV) on this 3 Kingdoms saga. Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger may be difficult for non-Chinese audiences to absorb, but this one is easy to follow. War tactics featuring ancient Chinese swordsmanship and hand to hand combat skills at its best. Good one!

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
The Artist....
But those subtitles seem not to be very good :D

Cheers
Orb

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Without a doubt the best foreign language movie I have seen in the last few years is "A Separation", deserved winner of an Oscar.

Put in a plug for my countryman Paul Verhoeven. "Black Book" is a phenomenal film (and I did not have to read the English sub titles!)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Saw one last night on Netflix, "The Aura" (El Aura). Argentinian film, by the same writer/diretor that did "Nueve Reinas' (Nine Queens).
Good thriller/noir, with Ricardo Darín (ubiquitous argentinian actor). A bit slow-moving, at 133 minutes, but solid. I can see Hollywood doing a remake of this, like they did with Nine Queens.

alexandre

sylayne

Jan 25, 2014
i judr watcyhrd thid dark comedy and enjoyed it:

+
Directed by: Marc Caro, Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Year: 1991 | Duration: 99 min
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
Starring: Marie-Laure Dougnac, Dominique Pinon, Pascal Benezech
Language: French +
Language: French

please post more that everyone is familiar with: i had brain cancer and suddeblu can't hear

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
i judr watcyhrd thid dark comedy and enjoyed it:

+
Language: French

please post more that everyone is familiar with: i had brain cancer and suddeblu can't hear

I presume you saw "Delicatessen". Saw that when it first came out. Very good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing