Led Zep III- which pressing?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bill-Let us know how the LP sounds after you get it. If it sounds really good, it will be on my list since I lost my original copy long ago to a dog named Jason who loved to eat my LPs. Jason once ate a pair of steel toe boots I owned. I came home one day and the only thing that was left was the steel toes. I still have some "near misses" in my collection where he chewed a corner off of the cover of the LP but the LP itself is still mint.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
More than happy with my Classic 180gm vinyl. Better than my US and German pressings

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Bill-Let us know how the LP sounds after you get it. If it sounds really good, it will be on my list since I lost my original copy long ago to a dog named Jason who loved to eat my LPs. Jason once ate a pair of steel toe boots I owned. I came home one day and the only thing that was left was the steel toes. I still have some "near misses" in my collection where he chewed a corner off of the cover of the LP but the LP itself is still mint.
Yep, Mep. :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
More than happy with my Classic 180gm vinyl. Better than my US and German pressings

Good to know, i read raves about some of the German pressings as well.
Anybody have any idea why Classic released in both 200 and 180g? The one I bought was 200, I'm a little concerned about that, because i had some Classics back in the day with stitching, as I have mentioned in other threads. Fingers crossed.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Where would you guys place Japanese vinyl in a quality shoot-out or line up with the audiophile products mentioned in this thread?

A couple of on-line comments quoted below for reference.
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1286946012&read&keyw&zzfor+the+records
10-13-10: Mofimadness
I have a huge collection of Japanese vinyl and agree. Most do sound better. I think it might also be because they used virgin vinyl or at least a better vinyl compound mix.

10-13-10: Justlisten
just curious, what were LPs selling for in Japan?

I collect Japanese vinyl and yes, 90% sound better than my other pressings. I believe the vinyl used is superior, hold it to light and you can see thru it, the process used to cut the Lps, and that due to living space constaints, most were played once, taped and stored away.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Where would you guys place Japanese vinyl in a quality shoot-out or line up with the audiophile products mentioned in this thread?

A couple of on-line comments quoted below for reference.
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1286946012&read&keyw&zzfor+the+records

I've never been a fan of the Japanese reissues. First of all, they're pretty much all cut from safety tapes eg. they are a generation later than the original pressing. And tape generation is everything.

Two, all these Japanese reissues seem re-EQ'd to me for the Japanese market. Things are boosted, others are cut and the end result to me is less than satisfying.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I've never been a fan of the Japanese reissues. First of all, they're pretty much all cut from safety tapes eg. they are a generation later than the original pressing. And tape generation is everything.

Two, all these Japanese reissues seem re-EQ'd to me for the Japanese market. Things are boosted, others are cut and the end result to me is less than satisfying.

I have 4 and something else that escapes me for the moment and I will compare them to Classic's versions. One thing for sure, on the Japanese pressings, they are more likely to be flatter and quieter virually devoid of any pops or other pressing defects found in the Classic series at times. I disagree about one gen. A safety master is pretty darn close to the master. I doubt our ear's can perceive any loss of fidelity with SOTA tape machines doing the dubs.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have 4 and something else that escapes me for the moment and I will compare them to Classic's versions. One thing for sure, on the Japanese pressings, they are more likely to be flatter and quieter virually devoid of any pops or other pressing defects found in the Classic series at times. I disagree about one gen. A safety master is pretty darn close to the master. I doubt our ear's can perceive any loss of fidelity with SOTA tape machines doing the dubs.

Generation is everything. The biggest difference after loss of S/N is in the low end. (which was demoed to me a few years ago by Tim de Paravicini.) Ask Rich ;)

Moreso, do you think that these safeties were all made with care? Hardly.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Generation is everything. The biggest difference after loss of S/N is in the low end. (which was demoed to me a few years ago by Tim de Paravicini.) Ask Rich ;)

I agree with Christian.... you can take an original master and with a "good" transfer, make an undetectable safety.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I agree with Christian.... you can take an original master and with a "good" transfer, make an undetectable safety.

The operative term Bruce is "good" transfer. If you want to hear an example of the effect of tape generation, compare an original RCA Living Stereo pressing of either LSC 1893 Daphnis and Chloe or VCS 2659 The Power of the Orchestra with the Chesky reissue that was made from a safety tape sent to the UK and cut by Tim de Paravicini.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
...Japanese reissues seem re-EQ'd to me for the Japanese market. Things are boosted, others are cut and the end result to me is less than satisfying.

agreed. there are exceptions, the early '90s toshiba/emi blue note reissues were universally excellent. around the same time king analog released choice sellections from the 6000 series decca/london classical catalog that were superb (all-tube remastered).

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Another good Japanese pressing is the Stones' "Tattoo You" on Toshiba. (HT to Fremer)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Side 1 of the 200 g Classic LZ III is very good, better than I expected, because I don't consider any of them to be 'audiophile' records, but it is not only quiet, it has dimension and doesn't sound thin or harsh. I'm still warming up the system so it is not cranked, and I can't comment on whether it has real bass. But, definitely worth buying if you don't want to sort through the thicket of pricier used records. Of course, I have no basis for comparison against those.
Report on side 2 as it happens.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Sounds good so far Bill.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Side 2- buy the record. It's good, the acoustic stuff is really nice, I never listened to this record on a serious rig before, only heard it back in the day over crappy teenage stereos when it was released , and then on the radio or in background. I gave the system some gain on side two. It's a keeper. I found it on e-bay sealed for around 129. I have a good copy of Physical Graffiti, looks brand new, think it's on Swan Song but clearly looks like a reissue. Also probably have a good copy of Houses of the Holy but I'll have to check. Don't know the provenance. The copies of 4 i have are nothing special.
Not sure if I have Presence or Coda on vinyl, apart from select cuts from the Mothership compilation, so I'm open to recommendations....

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Bill-Glad to hear you are happy. I will put this LP on my list. I have three different copies of Jethro Tull "Thick As a Brick" tonight and I'm hoping one of the three will be good. I also bought the Classic reissue of Tubular Bells based on Myle's strong recommendation. I hope it doesn't conjur up memories of the Exorcist.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Bill-Glad to hear you are happy. I will put this LP on my list. I have three different copies of Jethro Tull "Thick As a Brick" tonight and I'm hoping one of the three will be good. I also bought the Classic reissue of Tubular Bells based on Myle's strong recommendation. I hope it doesn't conjur up memories of the Exorcist.

T Bells and I Robot are two of my favorite Classic rock reissues.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
T Bells and I Robot are two of my favorite Classic rock reissues.
I have one of those CBS 1/2 Speed Masters of Bells, haven't listened to it in a while, i think it sounded bright, i'm sure the Classic is way better.
Right now, listening to Ry Cooder's 'Jazz' on a good 'ol WB 1978 standard pressing, what a nice record.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have one of those CBS 1/2 Speed Masters of Bells, haven't listened to it in a while, i think it sounded bright, i'm sure the Classic is way better.
Right now, listening to Ry Cooder's 'Jazz' on a good 'ol WB 1978 standard pressing, what a nice record.

CBS 1/2 speed = 1/2 of what they should be :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing