Led Zep III- which pressing?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I admit that I really focused all these years on the first album, and to a lesser extent the second; of course, i heard stuff from the later albums (how could you avoid it in the seventies, and even now), but when III came out, I didn't particularly go for it, and my interests went elsewhere. Now, it's taken me this long to appreciate that record. I have a ratty copy, and I have some of the tracks on a vinyl reissue qua Mothership.
But, if I wanted a killer sounding copy on vinyl, what is it? I did a little research, and frankly aside from price it was hard to find direct comparisons-
there is the plum colored label from the UK
there are first issues in the US
there is the 'RL' inscribed on the some version (don't know if he did III, but I've seen discussion of Ludwig on some of the albums)
there is of course the Classic Records reissue- and what's the story on that viz the 180 v 200g copies? (There appear to be no 45 rpms a single albums, only part of that set, which I don't want)
Oh, and I'm not interested in paying many hundreds- the classic can be bought sealed for less than 150, i guess that's ok, but kind of the top of what I'd want to spend; the beauty, perhaps of avoiding noisy, scratchy used copies may be the trade off there too.
I have first issues of I and II from the U.S., the Classic reissue of I and a MoFi from back in the day of II.
That's it for now.
Appreciate feedback. TIA.
bill hart

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I admit that I really focused all these years on the first album, and to a lesser extent the second; of course, i heard stuff from the later albums (how could you avoid it in the seventies, and even now), but when III came out, I didn't particularly go for it, and my interests went elsewhere. Now, it's taken me this long to appreciate that record. I have a ratty copy, and I have some of the tracks on a vinyl reissue qua Mothership.
But, if I wanted a killer sounding copy on vinyl, what is it? I did a little research, and frankly aside from price it was hard to find direct comparisons-
there is the plum colored label from the UK
there are first issues in the US
there is the 'RL' inscribed on the some version (don't know if he did III, but I've seen discussion of Ludwig on some of the albums)
there is of course the Classic Records reissue- and what's the story on that viz the 180 v 200g copies? (There appear to be no 45 rpms a single albums, only part of that set, which I don't want)
Oh, and I'm not interested in paying many hundreds- the classic can be bought sealed for less than 150, i guess that's ok, but kind of the top of what I'd want to spend; the beauty, perhaps of avoiding noisy, scratchy used copies may be the trade off there too.
I have first issues of I and II from the U.S., the Classic reissue of I and a MoFi from back in the day of II.
That's it for now.
Appreciate feedback. TIA.
bill hart

Hmmmm....that's the only one for which I don't have the original, only the Classic reissue. If it were me, I'd look to see if there's a George Piros (AT/GP) mastering, then Bob Ludwig (AT/RL).

For a while, themusic.com had a "sale" on the CR Led Zep reissues but think they've sold out (I just picked up Houses of the Holy for $125.).

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hmmmm....that's the only one for which I don't have the original, only the Classic reissue. If it were me, I'd look to see if there's a George Piros (AT/GP) mastering, then Bob Ludwig (AT/RL).

For a while, themusic.com had a "sale" on the CR Led Zep reissues but think they've sold out (I just picked up Houses of the Holy for $125.).
Thanks Myles, very much. If I were to search for the George Piros mastered ones, is there any particular indicia apart from the deadwax inscription? Most of the ebay sellers don't go into that detail, so I guess what I wondering is, any indication of GP by catalog number, perhaps if the seller provides mastering house name, or even era of issue? I assume AT means Atlantic and Piros is U.S. pressing but beyond that, is there anything else that could help me zone in on one?

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Bill there are two pressing I really love- the Classic Records (mine is 200g, I have not heard 180) and a US 1841 Broadway Monarch pressing (early or first pressing I believe).

The Classic Records is a bit more detailed and forward sounding. This extra detail is most obvious in the acoustic songs, where the instruments "pop" a bit more. The 1841 Broadway pressing is more relaxed tonally, an equally great listen.

Bob Ludwig or George Piros did not master this title on vinyl. I can agree with Myles that if you find Piros/Ludwig vinyl for the other Zep albums and they're in good shape, grab them since they will sound killer!

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I have One and Two on Japanese vinyl, they sound pretty good to me.

Bought at Encore Records in Ann Arbor a few years ago, $14.16 each.

http://s184.beta.photobucket.com/user/kach22i/library/Stereo?

I forget what is supposed to make Japanese vinyl recordings better, the source of the sound tracks or the virgin vinyl.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks Myles, very much. If I were to search for the George Piros mastered ones, is there any particular indicia apart from the deadwax inscription? Most of the ebay sellers don't go into that detail, so I guess what I wondering is, any indication of GP by catalog number, perhaps if the seller provides mastering house name, or even era of issue? I assume AT means Atlantic and Piros is U.S. pressing but beyond that, is there anything else that could help me zone in on one?

Many will mention the mastering engineer in the ad. If not I always send them a note asking them if there's AT/GP in the deadwax. Otherwise no AFAIK.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The best I have heard other than tape is the 45 rpm version Classic Records LZ3. I own it...spectacular sound. I also have the 33 rpm...very good, but not as good as the 45 which would be expected.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Bill there are two pressing I really love- the Classic Records (mine is 200g, I have not heard 180) and a US 1841 Broadway Monarch pressing (early or first pressing I believe).

The Classic Records is a bit more detailed and forward sounding. This extra detail is most obvious in the acoustic songs, where the instruments "pop" a bit more. The 1841 Broadway pressing is more relaxed tonally, an equally great listen.

Bob Ludwig or George Piros did not master this title on vinyl. I can agree with Myles that if you find Piros/Ludwig vinyl for the other Zep albums and they're in good shape, grab them since they will sound killer!
Helpful, thank you Deepak.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
The best I have heard other than tape is the 45 rpm version Classic Records LZ3. I own it...spectacular sound. I also have the 33 rpm...very good, but not as good as the 45 which would be expected.
Christian, the 45's weren't available separately, though, right? You had to buy the whole set including the road-case, right?
Or am I wrong? The 45 would be great....

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, the 45's weren't available separately, though, right? You had to buy the whole set including the road-case, right?
Or am I wrong? The 45 would be great....

I bought mine from acoustic sounds...I also have presence in 45. Perhaps they broke up a box set ? It's hard to find and would be very expensive. I paid $500 for my copy. Am I crazy ? Perhaps. Go for the 33....it's 95% of the 45 sound quality.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

RL also did Houses of the Holy I believe. I have an RL copy unless it's a fake. Sounds really good, perhaps even better than the Classic Records version.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I love those guys, and particularly Page, but I ain't spending that kinda money; also the last couple albums weren't strong, and finally, there were QC problems among those sets, or at least unevenness in the sound according to what i read. I just bought a 200g sealed Classic of III for 129, 6 bucks priority, from a private vendor. I'll try to keep an eye out for some of the originals by Piros and RL; I'll also look at the deadwax on some of the original pressings I have. My original copies of 1 and 2 were bought when the records came out, so we're talking 1969 and 1970 respectively. I think my LZ 1 has got to be shot, not so sure about LZ 2 but i have the classic 33 and a old MoFi (that I bought new, probably in the 80s' when they were what 14.95?) respectively for those two albums.
i'll let you know what I think of Classic III. Apparently LZ I on Classic gets huge love on some of the fora.
Thanks for weighing in on this guys.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
RL also did Houses of the Holy I believe. I have an RL copy unless it's a fake. Sounds really good, perhaps even better than the Classic Records version.

I'm betting it's genuine. RL mastered Houses for at least 4 or 5 years after the album first came out. His mastering is on both the Broadway and Rockefeller labels.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
You did well. Regardless of pressing...to me LZ1 sounds better (mastering) than LZ2.

Page put LZ1 together for less than the cost of one of those boxed sets. And had the recording done before he shopped it to the labels. And I forget how quickly he did it, but it was basically 'wham, bam,' get it recorded. In that Light and Shade book (i mentioned somewhere on the site), he explained that doing multiple takes would kill the spontaneity and that he just did simple set-ups without a lot of overdubbing, he wanted bleed through from one instrument into the mike of the other. He also talked about how he miked Bonham's drums, pulling the mikes back to get their 'acoustic' which also gave it a big sound. Guy had serious cred even before he put that band together, and strong vision of what he wanted to accomplish. I admire the hell out of him, and i'm not a 'fanboy' for rock stars.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Page put LZ1 together for less than the cost of one of those boxed sets. And had the recording done before he shopped it to the labels. And I forget how quickly he did it, but it was basically 'wham, bam,' get it recorded. In that Light and Shade book (i mentioned somewhere on the site), he explained that doing multiple takes would kill the spontaneity and that he just did simple set-ups without a lot of overdubbing, he wanted bleed through from one instrument into the mike of the other. He also talked about how he miked Bonham's drums, pulling the mikes back to get their 'acoustic' which also gave it a big sound. Guy had serious cred even before he put that band together, and strong vision of what he wanted to accomplish. I admire the hell out of him, and i'm not a 'fanboy' for rock stars.

Fan boy factor aside...no one looked as bad ass as Page with a low slung Les Paul...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing