Led Zep III- which pressing?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The Floyd Wish You Were Here album is arguably one of the best on CBS Mastersound. I enjoy it immensely.

The sound on WYWH is dreadful though.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'm out in a minute or two, but Elliot Randall's solo on Kings from 'Can't Buy a Thrill' is just magnificent. I hadn't listened to that record in quite a while, and in my early seventies groove, Skunk Baxter doesn't suck either, but Damn, go listen to Kings if you haven't heard the album in a few decades. Yikes.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm out in a minute or two, but Elliot Randall's solo on Kings from 'Can't Buy a Thrill' is just magnificent. I hadn't listened to that record in quite a while, and in my early seventies groove, Skunk Baxter doesn't suck either, but Damn, go listen to Kings if you haven't heard the album in a few decades. Yikes.

I'm a big steely Dan fan....I have found the original Japanese pressings to sound best. Aja MoFi is also Japanese. The reissue of can't buy a thrill does sound good though.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Bill-Glad to hear you are happy. I will put this LP on my list. I have three different copies of Jethro Tull "Thick As a Brick" tonight and I'm hoping one of the three will be good. I also bought the Classic reissue of Tubular Bells based on Myle's strong recommendation. I hope it doesn't conjur up memories of the Exorcist.

T Bells and I Robot are two of my favorite Classic rock reissues.

the 180 or 200g versions? My 200g TB sucks to put it mildly. It's so noisy I can't listen to it. My 180g CR I, Robot OTOH is wonderful and I prefer it over my standard Mofi copy.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My CBS Mastersound BJ-The Stranger sounds alright. It's no standout, but I enjoy playing it. And I love my Cisco Aja. :D

Orb

Sep 8, 2010

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Coming back to Led Zeppelin.
The best digital version I have heard goes back quite awhile and it was I think the collectors edition that had 4 CD albums in a large box collection, with the crop circles on.
Been so disappointed with every release since then, unfortunately I purchased that for my father and not one for myself - regretted not buying one now for years :)

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing