Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Man, I hope you guys are all right. I have gone without a Pre-amp for over two years with the Pacific and H. I still don't think I need a Pre but I ordered the Aries Cerat Ianus Ageto anyway and that was not chump change. We will see!
Have you received your AC preamp? If so how is it?

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
My latest change when using my Lamm preamp and the Horizon....since the day I owned the Horion, the VC has been at max 63 for total signal transfer to my preamp and I adjust the volume accordingly.

Lat week when the TFKN c3gs was added to my system to replace the Mullard ECC 32 the increase in overall gain from these tubes was somewhat shocking as I found that I had to lower the gain control to levels which I have never used in all the years I have had this preamp. My usual listening spot on the gain control ws the 7th detente position. Withe the addition of the SRS 551 I found I was listening now at the 6th detente position and when the Valvo G2504 replaced the TFKN RGN 2004 I was now listening at the 5th detentenposition. Then with the addition of the c3gs the sound was such that I was turning down the gain to the 4th and 3rd positions, but when I did that I found I lost a lot of the magic......so for the first time since owning the Horizon I began adjusting the VC downward on the Horizon until I was at a comfortable level and once again the magic was back with my preamp, as at "59" on the Horizon my preamp gain was now rotating between the 6th and 7th position. I have also found that depending on the complexity of the music I am playing the VC on the Horizon can be at 58, 59 0r even 60. Having done this my Lamm preamp has once again restored the best digital sound Ive ever heard in my system
Steve, so you do not use WL Quest? Could you describe the diffrence Quest/Lamm with Lampi? I have heard Quest in my system prior of my purchase of Horning and Pacific when I had on loan.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Westminster lab and Quest were both in my system. Brought in by Gary Leeds. I had both the mono version and subsequently the bridged versions. Sound was exquisite

my system is all tubes. Only thing solid state in my system is my Extreme. I’m a tube guy and the tube set I’m using now I could never imagine that my system could ever sound as good as it does now

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Westminster lab and Quest were both in my system. Brought in by Gary Leeds. I had both the mono version and subsequently the bridged versions. Sound was exquisite

my system is all tubes. Only thing solid state in my system is my Extreme. I’m a tube guy and the tube set I’m using now I could never imagine that my system could ever sound as good as it does now
thanks for your reply. I believe I am also the tube guy now, when I have all tubes except Pink faun. Quest suppose to be like tube sound that is why I asked.

Steve Williams

. Quest suppose to be like tube sound that is why I asked

it did sound tube like with a whole lot of head room and killer dynamics. My amps are 32wpc pure class A and SET which is my preferred

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Have you received your AC preamp? If so how is it?
Not yet. It took 12 days to clear customs. I should have it early next week but then I go in for knee replacement surgery on Wednesday so I will probably not be able to set it up right away. I might have to hire out to set it up.

Steve Williams

Not yet. It took 12 days to clear customs. I should have it early next week but then I go in for knee replacement surgery on Wednesday so I will probably not be able to set it up right away. I might have to hire out to set it up.
They'll have you up walking 1 hour after the surgery. I have bionic knees. it was a life liberating event. You'll be fine

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I wish I live close by, I would help with joy.

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
Just make sure you do not fall after the knee replacement surgery. A close friend had a double knee replacement, and he fell after about two days and damaged one of his new knees. After multiple surgeries and infections over several months, he had his leg amputated above the knee. Sorry for the horror story, but you really want to be careful during that first week!

And I'm guessing there must be a local audiophile willing to help you set it up. :)

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
I have always believed in the source being of paramount importance. Having listened to certain other items of gear recently coupled with the improvement’s yielded on my Extreme (via Taiko switch and FW upgrades) as well as getting my tube combo settled in Horizon, I am now of the opinion that my ‘source’ is pretty much as good as it gets. I feel like the Extreme and the Horizon were made for each other and make a pretty much perfect source together. If forthcoming developments at Taiko can take things even further, then that’s very welcome though I’m struggling to ascertain how things can sound any better at this point.

Just wondered whether other owners of both units had a similar view.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

I have always believed in the source being of paramount importance. Having listened to certain other items of gear recently coupled with the improvement’s yielded on my Extreme (via Taiko switch and FW upgrades) as well as getting my tube combo settled in Horizon, I am now of the opinion that my ‘source’ is pretty much as good as it gets. I feel like the Extreme and the Horizon were made for each other and make a pretty much perfect source together. If forthcoming developments at Taiko can take things even further, then that’s very welcome though I’m struggling to ascertain how things can sound any better at this point.

Just wondered whether other owners of both units had a similar view.
I totally agree. For me, who was 95% analogue 4 years ago, the acquisition of my Extreme and initially the Pacific but followed soon after by the Horizon hs brought my digital side to a place that I truly never thought achievable in my system. My tube rolling saga over the pst few months has brought to a tube steady state and now all of the Taiko additions and updates, and soon NSM followed by BPS is an audio adventure that I feel privileged to be a part of. I am now heavily wieighted I the digital camp although my analogue side is far from shabby. It's just that this digital ride has been an eye opener for me. I feel we are so fortunate to have the minds of such geniuses as Emile and Lukasz creating products that has set the digital world on fire. It's as if the ride never ends but only gets better.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Steve, what is your current percentage of music played split by tape/LP/digital? Just curious.

Steve Williams

Steve, what is your current percentage of music played split by tape/LP/digital? Just curious.
Since XDMS ( and before with TAS ) I would say that I’m having so much fun with my digital side and watching it evolve around me has put me at 80 digital and 20 vinyl and tape. I’m sure that will change but not before I get a glimpse of BPS as well as a listen to NSM I just never knew digital could sound as good as I have now.

Reactions: LampiNA

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Since the

Since XDMS ( and before with TAS ) I would say that I’m having so much fun with my digital side and watching it evolve around me has put me at 80 digital and 20 vinyl and tape. I’m sure that will change but not before I get a glimpse of BPS as well as a listen to NSM I just never knew digital could sound as good as I have now.
BPS @ NSM ?

MOTU

Oct 17, 2019
Battery power supply

NSM is the replacement and sonic update to XDMS. There won’t be any more XDMS builds as everything will soon be NSM.

IMO neither should be overlooked
Don't forget native XDMI connection between Extreme and Horizon.

Reactions: Malcng

MOTU

Oct 17, 2019
Yes, that‘s what I was referring to. It sounds very intriguing doesn’t it?
Yea, I have very high expectations. :D

Mamon

Apr 13, 2021
Russia
Steve,
have you compared the i2s vs usb outputs on Horizon? Which is better , what are the differences ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing