LampizatOr North America / DSG Invites you!

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015

Attachments

• poss-min.jpeg
    poss-min.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 66

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: LampiNA

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reactions: LampiNA

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I need some input from someone who understands the circuitry of the Horizon. It has come to my attention that while running Balanced (in which I do) it is not necessary for all 4 Pentodes to be the same. This is what I have been doing. So, theoretically I could run OS1's on the left bank while running SRS on the right bank. My confusion is understanding if the left bank is more important/critical and insert the pentodes of choice in that bank, or does it not matter?
I think you have it wrong. Running balanced
you need same 4 tubes in the pentodes. If you run SE only the left bank is for SE. You can leave the right bank empty or put in any pentode you want. It was Ian who suggested that even running SE the tubes in the right bank have a 10% influence on the sound. I found that to be meaningful as I prefer the right bank filled with KT 170 in the right bank. I did try a set of OS1 in the right bank and honestly preferred the KT170

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I think you have it wrong. Running balanced
you need same 4 tubes in the pentodes. If you run SE only the left bank is for SE. You can leave the right bank empty or put in any pentode you want. It was Ian who suggested that even running SE the tubes in the right bank have a 10% influence on the sound. I found that to be meaningful as I prefer the right bank filled with KT 170 in the right bank. I did try a set of OS1 in the right bank and honestly preferred the KT170
NO, that is not correct. I spoke with Lukasz this morning and this is what he said: "The overall gain of the 2nd stage with 4 Pentodes is 1:1 so the type of tube does not change the signal level and the signal will not deteriorate by much.
You can even remove 2 pentodes and still get decent sound-where the phase difference will be 100%, and still play great, so the left or right row is unimportant if you listen balanced, if you listen SE then the left row is more important"

I think there are far too many variables from system to system to say what works in one system will translate the same to another. The SRS were not a good fit in my system. They overpowered my system and totally obscured the midrange and tonality. That doesn't mean they won't sound good in another system. In my system going from 63 to 62 on the H is very obvious. Going from 63 to 59 was not good at all. I don't want to adjust the Volume on the H to compensate for the aggressive nature of some tubes. So I'm slumming it here with the OS1's. That I got from you. For preservation purposes I'm actually running the KT88's in the right row. Tomorrow I may try the KT170's along with the OS1's. I hear NO Diminished SQ not running the 4 OS1's...

Steve Williams

I do agree that it is easy to tell the difference between 62 and 63 on the H volume control. I also think that with good tubes disappearing quickly there is something to be gained when running your Horizon SE as you can put any pentode ( even nothing in the right bank )

John T

Feb 15, 2022
You said you need 4 of the same pentodes running balanced, that's not correct..

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
While the relentless heatwave may have not received the memo, it's always a bittersweet moment as we bid farewell to the summer season. Yet, with the changing of the seasons and the transition to predominantly outdoor activities, our excitement for the "listening season" is building like a tidal wave.

As the eagerly anticipated Princeton event rapidly approaches, I'm ecstatic to share that we have another groundbreaking product debut in the works, poised to be unveiled there.

In particular, alongside the exclusive preview of the revolutionary Poseidon DAC ahead of its grand debut at Capital AudioFest 2023, we are preparing to reveal the Pacific 2 DAC.

While our guest list is filling up fast, we still have a bit of space left for a few more passionate individuals. To those of you who haven't already RSVP'd but have an interest in joining us, seize this moment to secure your spot!

I'm truly looking forward to welcoming you there, where we'll embark on an auditory journey like no other.

With great anticipation,

Fred A.

Steve Williams

You said you need 4 of the same pentodes running balanced, that's not correct..
Yes. That’s what I said for balanced. If you ran SE you could have tried what Ian is using

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Hello Everyone,

We are thrilled that our big launch party day is almost here! We can't wait to share some exciting developments across our product lines with you all.

Just to ensure everyone is on the same page, our event will kick off at 1 pm on October 7, 2023, in Princeton NJ. As the event is in a private home, we kindly suggest you might want to bring a pair of 'house slippers' for your comfort, as we’d prefer to keep the house a shoe-free zone.

We are currently burning in the Poseidon for the event, and even with just a single day of stabilizing, it’s clear that this unit is something special!

1695926721346.png 1695926727538.png

We should have a plethora of music to choose from, but those with favorite tracks can feel free to add them to our playlist: https://play.qobuz.com/playlist/15853320.

We are looking forward to a day of good music, reconnecting with old friends, and making new ones.

Warm Regards,

Fred A.

Last edited:

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Here is a teaser of the system we'll be assembling on the main floor for Saturday's event.

Can't wait to see everyone!

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
I'm looking forward to this. Thanks for hosting.

Will the taiko extreme be running the xdms software?

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
I'm looking forward to this. Thanks for hosting.

Will the taiko extreme be running the xdms software?
XDMS is installed and can be used, but we'll probably use Roon primarily as a smoother option.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Saturday's event was a huge success and a great time was had by all! We had more than 70 RSVPs for this event and it seemed the majority of people who signed up came indeed, despite some poor weather.

We were able to assemble 3 systems at differing price points featuring the Poseidon DAC on the main floor accompanied by the renowned Taiko Extreme Server, Westminster REI amplification Final Touch Cabling and the exquisite Tobian Sound System 12FH speakers from Switzerland.

1696867934020.png
1696869398875.png

1696867973569.png

1696867957743.png

Our middle system featured the Pacific 2 DAC along with some a great preamplifier and amp from Linear Tube Audio playing through Pure Audio Project speakers (with Voxativ drivers).

1696868116374.png

And finally our simplest system made some beautiful sound with our AmberAmp which is a remote controlled DAC, preamplifier and el84 amplifier all in the same chassis... a seriously good system and not just for the money!

Thanks to all who made it! We'll definitely be hosting more events going forward so do stay tuned!

Best,

Fred A.

Last edited:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Were there any WBF members present at the event? Lack of impressions or any feedback from the end-users is very different from the Horizon launch event. Maybe Poseidon is too cheep a dac to interest most of WBF crowd? :)

Reactions: NightTiger

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I heard about the event from Mobius who said it was terrific. I cannot wait to hear the Poseidon at CAF Fred, It appears to be an end-game digital offering many more will be able to afford. I love the fact it combines Lukaz offering a statement preamplifier and DAC. Think about it, for a mid-twenties price you get two analog inputs and a killer DAC!

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Were there any WBF members present at the event? Lack of impressions or any feedback from the end-users is very different from the Horizon launch event. Maybe Poseidon is too cheep a dac to interest most of WBF crowd? :)
There were a few and I've asked a couple to comment, but it was not a WBF exclusive event. It was a large pool of audiophiles from local clubs in NY, NJ, CT and a couple of other smaller forums.

That said, hopefully we'll get a few more to chime in as there was certainly some great sound at our event!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing