Kuzma SAFIR 9

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
Yes, my friend is using the MC2022 with the Safir. To my ears, the combo also tilted slightly to the bright side, but less so than with the Etsuro Gold. View attachment 125551
Hi Thekong, you appear quite pleased with the EMT on Safir. Could you share what’s that you like about it compared to other cartridges you heard? Also, could you share what’s your set up like? Thanks

thekong

May 10, 2012
My main set up included the Safir on Rockport Capella II TT, Aesthetix Io Eclipse and Callisto Eclipse phono and linestage, 2 sets of Pass Labs X350.5 amps Biamping the Apogee speakers. I also have other TTs and arms setup in the system.

For cartridge, yes, I am very pleased with the EMT P6.0 and VM pairing with the Safir. I like the EMTs because they are neutral, at least to my ears, very even from top to bottom. It also has a healthy, but not overblown, mid bass to bass region. But with its rather high 1.0mv output, while good for active mc phono with less that 70db gain, needs special attention when choosing SUT.

I have also auditioned the new Goldmund cartridge recently, which is OEMed by EMT with a 0.5mv output. I found it slightly more refine, and a bit faster than the regular EMTs. This is very likely to be my next cartridge purchase :)

Reactions: Birdwatcher

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
when you say it is too much of a good thing does it sound hard? what is the aggravation i wonder.
I don’t think it sounded hard. Definitely a different sonic portrayal than I am used to.

I am 100% thrilled with my Cardas Clear wired Safir. Glad I went this route.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
How would an Audio Note Kondo IO-XP perform with the Safir? Anyone have heard this pairing?
Or a Dynavector XV-1t?
I heard this combo a couple of times and there was no extra brightness. The bottom end was very good and extended. I highly doubt that Safir is responsible for brightness in any setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Birdwatcher

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
For cartridge, yes, I am very pleased with the EMT P6.0 and VM pairing with the Safir. I like the EMTs because they are neutral, at least to my ears, very even from top to bottom. It also has a healthy, but not overblown, mid bass to bass region. But with its rather high 1.0mv output, while good for active mc phono with less that 70db gain, needs special attention when choosing SUT.
I wouldn’t call EMT cartridges neutral. IME they’re far from being neutral with their thin and bright sound but I’m very happy that they matched up well with your setup. Finding a good match is more important than finding a neutral cartridge IMHO. That’s another indication of Safir’s lack of extra brilliance.

Reactions: Marcus

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
My main set up included the Safir on Rockport Capella II TT, Aesthetix Io Eclipse and Callisto Eclipse phono and linestage, 2 sets of Pass Labs X350.5 amps Biamping the Apogee speakers. I also have other TTs and arms setup in the system.

I have also auditioned the new Goldmund cartridge recently, which is OEMed by EMT with a 0.5mv output. I found it slightly more refine, and a bit faster than the regular EMTs. This is very likely to be my next cartridge purchase :)
Thank you and you have a wonderful system.

thekong

May 10, 2012
I wouldn’t call EMT cartridges neutral. IME they’re far from being neutral with their thin and bright sound but I’m very happy that they matched up well with your setup. Finding a good match is more important than finding a neutral cartridge IMHO. That’s another indication of Safir’s lack of extra brilliance.
Interesting, I have never heard anyone among my audio group calling the EMTs thin and bright! To my ears, many other cartridges, including the Etsuro Gold and AT 2022 mentioned above, sound brighter than the EMT.

Maybe our perceptions or systems are just different! That’s why there are so many different cartridges in the market for different folks :)

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Interesting, I have never heard anyone among my audio group calling the EMTs thin and bright! To my ears, many other cartridges, including the Etsuro Gold and AT 2022 mentioned above, sound brighter than the EMT.

Maybe our perceptions or systems are just different! That’s why there are so many different cartridges in the market for different folks :)
Etsuro Gold and AT 2022 might be even brighter but unlike old German EMT cartridges Swiss EMTs are bright and thin IME. I heard them on various setups and also on my setup. Maybe EMT is a good match for Aesthetix. That’s more important.

Reactions: thekong

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Finding a good match is more important than finding a neutral cartridge IMHO. That’s another indication of Safir’s lack of extra brilliance.
I absolutely agree and same goes for “meat on bones”. If one feels there is not enough, it’s not Safir’s fault.

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Will also agree that whatever is mounted on a Safir arm it will tell the truth, whether you like it or not is all another story. Each one of us has a unique perception of what sounds more natural or correct, none of it is wrong.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I am not sure where the perception that the safir is light is coming from- however, you hear what you hear.

From my perspective , I have heard the safir on 4 different cartridges - with one the GFS latest version here at my home - and while all of them had their "character" I would never say the outcome was light or bright in any way!

thekong

May 10, 2012
Etsuro Gold and AT 2022 might be even brighter but unlike old German EMT cartridges Swiss EMTs are bright and thin IME. I heard them on various setups and also on my setup. Maybe EMT is a good match for Aesthetix. That’s more important.

Hi mtemur, not meant to argue, just interested to know what current model cartridges do you consider neutral? I’ll try to audition them to see if I like them even more :)

Thanks

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Hi mtemur, not meant to argue, just interested to know what current model cartridges do you consider neutral? I’ll try to audition them to see if I like them even more :)

Thanks
Dear @thekong I'm not sure if any absolutely neutral cartridge really exists or not. IMHO all cartridges have a sonic signature and most of them are very good. It's hard to tell which cartridge is neutral but I can tell you which is not neutral.

- Swiss EMT, Xquisite cartridges have a bright, tipped up high end without being harsh. Old (before 2015) German made EMT TSD cartridges sound totally different with no brightness at all.
- Ortofon cartridges also have a bright sonic signature sometimes being harsh.
- ZYX is the opposite of Swiss EMTs by being very dark and solid.

For my ears EMT, ZYX and Ortofon are lacking enjoyment beyond tonality. You can balance tonality even if it's bright or dark by matching SUT, cable, phono etc but I'm not sure if it's possible to make them enjoyable. For example vdH cartridges can be bright depending on the sample but they're more enjoyable in my opinion. Audio Technica is also famous with brightness but incredibly enjoyable with extremely high value.

I don't know if Air Tight, TechDas, MSL, Benz Micro (with low SRA around 91), Kondo (on a Kondo setup) are neutral or not but they tick all the boxes. I feel same kind of rightness on their sound just like when I first heard Shure V15 Type III on SME 3009 years ago.

thekong

May 10, 2012
Dear @thekong I'm not sure if any absolutely neutral cartridge really exists or not. IMHO all cartridges have a sonic signature and most of them are very good. It's hard to tell which cartridge is neutral but I can tell you which is not neutral.

- Swiss EMT, Xquisite cartridges have a bright, tipped up high end without being harsh. Old (before 2015) German made EMT TSD cartridges sound totally different with no brightness at all.
- Ortofon cartridges also have a bright sonic signature sometimes being harsh.
- ZYX is the opposite of Swiss EMTs by being very dark and solid.

For my ears EMT, ZYX and Ortofon are lacking enjoyment beyond tonality. You can balance tonality even if it's bright or dark by matching SUT, cable, phono etc but I'm not sure if it's possible to make them enjoyable. For example vdH cartridges can be bright depending on the sample but they're more enjoyable in my opinion. Audio Technica is also famous with brightness but incredibly enjoyable with extremely high value.

I don't know if Air Tight, TechDas, MSL, Benz Micro (with low SRA around 91), Kondo (on a Kondo setup) are neutral or not but they tick all the boxes. I feel same kind of rightness on their sound just like when I first heard Shure V15 Type III on SME 3009 years ago.
Thanks mtemur, appreciated!

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Currently I'm running the new SoundSmith Sussurro Gold Limited Edition and it's a winner on the Safir. It does not have the inner detail that my MSL Platinum brings out but it gives more energy and slightly better low frequencies. I bought the new SM Hyperion-MR MKII but it's still sealed, think it will stay sealed, even contemplating selling it NIB at a very attractive price. (Dealer disclaimer)

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
Currently I'm running the new SoundSmith Sussurro Gold Limited Edition and it's a winner on the Safir. It does not have the inner detail that my MSL Platinum brings out but it gives more energy and slightly better low frequencies. I bought the new SM Hyperion-MR MKII but it's still sealed, think it will stay sealed, even contemplating selling it NIB at a very attractive price. (Dealer disclaimer)
Hi SOS, what is it you didn’t like MSL platinum on Safir?

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Hi SOS, what is it you didn’t like MSL platinum on Safir?
It was fine just a bit "polite" sounding. I wanted a bit more energy and life, the Sussuro has that but it does lack the inner detail and transparency that the MSL has. As I had stated above, to me the MSL Gold Sig was a better match for my taste.

Reactions: ationg

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
It was fine just a bit "polite" sounding. I wanted a bit more energy and life, the Sussuro has that but it does lack the inner detail and transparency that the MSL has. As I had stated above, to me the MSL Gold Sig was a better match for my taste.
I have not heard the MSL platinum and don't know how is it different from the MSL gold which I owned for several years on a SME arm. I found that combo also polite and warm vs a Davinci arm and cartridge prior. The tonearms and turntables and cablings all affect the outcome I suppose.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I can use some help on VTA adjusting. My dealer and I got it 100% dialed in for 180g records. Listening, measuring, adjusting, listening until we both agreed that's the spot. It's a wonderful arm and clearly can hear very small changes.

With out any markings on the cylinder that holds the arm, how can I know when I move this for a 200g that I can return it to the exact spot it's at? Adjusting is easy, but repeating the place you were at seems hard. This is where the 4p shined. Seems like Kuzma needs to etch some markings, he did it for Azimuth, so why not markings for repeating VTA adjustments?

I am looking into precision calipers to measure...such as this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IG46NL...40&linkCode=osi&tag=shopperz_origin33-20&th=1

1709211781018.png

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I can use some help on VTA adjusting. My dealer and I got it 100% dialed in for 180g records. Listening, measuring, adjusting, listening until we both agreed that's the spot. It's a wonderful arm and clearly can hear very small changes.

With out any markings on the cylinder that holds the arm, how can I know when I move this for a 200g that I can return it to the exact spot it's at? Adjusting is easy, but repeating the place you were at seems hard. This is where the 4p shined. Seems like Kuzma needs to etch some markings, he did it for Azimuth, so why not markings for repeating VTA adjustments?

I am looking into precision calipers to measure...such as this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IG46NL...40&linkCode=osi&tag=shopperz_origin33-20&th=1

View attachment 126186
if you have little distance between the tonearm base and tonearm. Use a feeler gauge for car spark plugs. If you have more distance between them, use a piece of wood to be sanded down to size until it go easy ,then use in then feeler gauge for the last 1/100mm. It works pretty perfect for me over years 2147-Hazet_Fuehlerlehre_0_05_-_1_0_Ueberpruefen_des_Elektrodenabstandes_bei_Zue-1-64c906012894...jpg

Reactions: No Regrets

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing