Using Wally Tools

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
I have almost all the test records ever made, and yes there’s no way they’re all “the same”. I’m coming around to your (and Wally’s, RIP) way of thinking, that if it can be accurately assessed in physical terms, without a record, and it can be corrected using physical methods, do it that way first.
We've done several hundred hours of multivariate testing (think: test record) in 2023 and have come several conclusions. One of them is: you aren't measuring what you THINK you are measuring!

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
I have almost all the test records ever made, and yes there’s no way they’re all “the same”. I’m coming around to your (and Wally’s, RIP) way of thinking, that if it can be accurately assessed in physical terms, without a record, and it can be corrected using physical methods, do it that way first.
By the way - and as a reminder - as a WallyTools owner, you have pretty much 7 days a week access to my support as well. Reach out to me if you have any analog issue. I certainly am not an expert on ALL vinyl playback matters, but I'll let you know when you've hit my limit of comfort in any given area.

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
Interesting. Can you expand on that with some simple examples? Tia
I will be doing a video on this in the near future. This "mistaken measurement" issue is true to greater or lesser degrees with all setup parameters and is why relying upon a test record for all setup parameters makes it such an iterative approach where improvements can certainly be made but optimization is not knowable.

Measuring torque force by test record is the biggest offender since the test is measuring changes to stylus, coil and cantilever orientation as a result of out of control torque forces in the tonearm. You can very easily get lowest distortion figures with the arm under sub-optimal torque forces (from bearing friction, too much anti-skate or not enough anti-skate) by aligning the stylus properly yet still have the damper VERY asymmetrically compressed. We have found no evidence whatsoever that an asymmetrically compressed damper throws off a characteristic waveform behavior, yet the audibility of a relaxed damper is dead obvious to anyone who will take the time to do a proper trial with a WallySkater.

It is a shame that it is not measurable, but then so much of what we can easily empirically experience in our hobby is not known to be measurable - YET. What is the electrical characteristic of increased "resolution"? We all have experienced it for ourselves, but what does it look like on test gear? I'd say the person who may be closest to an answer may be Garth Powell, but how can we know that, say, "resolution" isn't just a second or third order function of whatever is being measured?

So many questions...

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Yes, before I bought the Wally Tools and in particular the Wally Scope, I also tried in vain with a Dinolite USB Microscope and then importing the photo into standard image software to draw the lines and determine the VTA and SRA angles by hand.
I recall someone in this thread asking about a Wally Scope. Saw a brand new in box one for $1000 off at the link below. It’s not my listing, just wanted to pass it along:

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
I recall someone in this thread asking about a Wally Scope. Saw a brand new in box one for $1000 off at the link below. It’s not my listing, just wanted to pass it along:
For what it's worth, the claim in the advertisement that there is a long wait for WallyScopes is not at all true. The longest anyone has waited for ANY "standard issue" WallyTool is about 10 days - and I can count those events on a single hand. I keep everything in stock at all times, usually shipping next day following payment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing