Kuzma SAFIR 9

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
@ationg how long have you had it? my Audio Note ioGold is thrilling on the Safir and it is quite detailed. The wire burnt in and then disappeared as far as I can tell. I am so pleased I was thinking on writing a post about just how good I am finding the Safir to be. I would have about 200 hours of actual playing time on the arm by now.
The arm and cartridge are about 4 months old and so more than 100 hours of playing.

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
I may be wrong but it is my guess that highly detailed cartridges may be too much of a good thing with the Kondo-wired SAFIR. My SAFIR is fitted with a diamond cantilever Etsuro. The balance is a bit off.
@ationg you "might" be right. I prefer my SoundSmith Sussurro Gold LE over my MSL Platinum Sig. Seems the MSL is just a bit too detailed, it's also a more "polite" sounding cartridge so I prefer the excitement of the SM. I thought the MSL Gold Signature was the better sounding cartridge on my Safir for my taste. Anyone want to buy a mint MSL Platinum? (;) wink wink)

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
@ationg you "might" be right. I prefer my SoundSmith Sussurro Gold LE over my MSL Platinum Sig. Seems the MSL is just a bit too detailed, it's also a more "polite" sounding cartridge so I prefer the excitement of the SM. I thought the MSL Gold Signature was the better sounding cartridge on my Safir for my taste. Anyone want to buy a mint MSL Platinum? (;) wink wink)
Oh no .. I sold my MSL gold when I changed my SME arm to Safir and fitted an Etsuro gold. Have been thinking of trying a MSL platinum on the Safir

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
@ationg I owned both the MSL Gold & Platinum and sold the Gold to buy a Platinum. I much prefered the Gold....again on the Safir. I'm not saying the Gold is a better cartridge but for my tatste and both cartridges were used on the Safir arm, I'd go for the Gold.

Reactions: No Regrets

Wutang-401`

Dec 6, 2023
Sydney, Australia
when you say it is too much of a good thing does it sound hard? what is the aggravation i wonder.

thekong

May 10, 2012
I have also auditioned the Safir, Etsuro Gold combo at the dealer’s showroom, and it was not my cup of tea, a bit too bright to my ears. To be fair, the cartridge was brand new, so not run in yet! Anyway, at the time, I and my friends all preferred the EMT VM over the Etsuro Gold on the Safir!

Wutang-401`

Dec 6, 2023
Sydney, Australia
ah. i wonder if this relates to Fremer's comment which was that with the Safir he came to realise alot of music he thought had bass doesn't actually have bass. He repeated this thought many times. I think he was referring to the band the Loving Spoonful specifically.

So following his observation, is it that the presentation you hear has more treble in it relative to bass, and you dislike this?

I have certainly been struck by the treble of the Safir and the relatively lesser amounts of bass (albeit better defined etc - i'm not complaining). I am relatively new to vinyl though, and figured this new presentation was probably more accurate. I certainly find classical more listenable now and I think that is down to how much detail and accuracy there is in the Safir, across spectrum.

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
Not hard. Just more of everything in the high frequencies such that it sounds a bit off balance.
I would add there is a degree of thinness to the sound. OTOH, Safir + Etsuro has the best resolution, soundstaging, and airiness i have ever heard. very exquisite.

thekong

May 10, 2012
Not hard. Just more of everything in the high frequencies such that it sounds a bit off balance.
Yes, to my ears a bit too much high, and a bit recessed in the mid bass region, making the sound slightly bright! Just not enough meat on the bones!

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
How would an Audio Note Kondo IO-XP perform with the Safir? Anyone have heard this pairing?
Or a Dynavector XV-1t?

thekong

May 10, 2012
I don’t have the XV- 1t, but my XV-1s pairs very well with the Safir, my favourite cartridge with the Safir after the EMTs .

Reactions: Birdwatcher

thekong

May 10, 2012
Hi thekong, how much did you load the cartridge, if you still recall?

Sorry, I really have no idea, as it was a dealer’s demo session, but it was fed into an EMT JPA66 preamp with phono, so it must have gone through the internal SUT instead of an active MC gain stage.

phoni

Dec 26, 2022
How would an Audio Note Kondo IO-XP perform with the Safir? Anyone have heard this pairing?
Or a Dynavector XV-1t?
Next to the clearaudio Goldfinger V2 the XV-1t is my second favorite cartridge. In my opinion, this Dynavector is an absolute recommendation for this tonearm.

Reactions: Birdwatcher

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
Next to the clearaudio Goldfinger V2 the XV-1t is my second favorite cartridge. In my opinion, this Dynavector is an absolute recommendation for this tonearm.
Thank you. I appreciate Safir users share what cartridges have worked well in their experience with this arm.

thekong

May 10, 2012
Yes, my friend is using the MC2022 with the Safir. To my ears, the combo also tilted slightly to the bright side, but less so than with the Etsuro Gold. 60698106-73dc-4e33-ba0a-a2cb0500ddb4.jpeg

Reactions: ationg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing