Just got my bill for January's heath insurance, it more than doubled to $733, thanks.

Steve, I believe you are correct, they are raising premiums in ANTICIPATION of rising costs..but has that happened yet? That is absurd.

Would a cable manufacturer raise prices in anticipation of rising silver or copper costs?

Most likely yes.....

Most likely yes.....

That is not what I gather from talking to cable companies. They buy larger quantities when the prices come down, and less
when they go up. I have never had one tell me they were raising prices in anticipation of higher material costs. When materials costs
DO go up, they raise prices.

Steve, I believe you are correct, they are raising premiums in ANTICIPATION of rising costs..but has that happened yet? That is absurd.

Would a cable manufacturer raise prices in anticipation of rising silver or copper costs?

Possibly. Oil goes up based on anticipated violence in the less stable part of the world. On the other hand, it also goes down. Insurance rates always seem to go up, up, and up.

now the lawyers are the ones who refuse to take on anyone without a large retainer and/or the ability to pay unless court ordered or this is what they do. How many times in court have I heard an attorney tell a judge when he was asked if they are ready to proceed and have the lawyer say that they are waiting for Mr Green ;)

The trick with divorce cases is to sucker in your client saying you'll win the case and the other party will end up paying all legal cost, and don't bill upfront. They know exactly how much is in the kitty and drag out the case until there is nothing left. Then they get a ruling, and take payment out of the assets awarded to the client. The hapless client ends up flat broke (for people going in with 5 figures worth of assets), or out a few hundred grand (for those with 6 or 7 figures). I have seen this scenario play out a few times. It is borderline criminal. Welcome to America.

Possibly. Oil goes up based on anticipated violence in the less stable part of the world. On the other hand, it also goes down. Insurance rates always seem to go up, up, and up.
The difference is speculators buy and sell oil. Cable companies are not speculators, and neither are health insurance companies.:)

Thank you Carol. My neighbor was also a healthy 30 something. This nonsense about the rate hikes being tied to Obamacare is offensive.

It is pure and utter gauging and profiteering, with insurance companies using the political climate to their advantage.

I still see no facts to disprove this points, everything points to it. Go to the exchange and check for yourself. Open the policy and see what's in it mandated by obamacare and how much of it you need. The difference is pre obama care, you had the choice to shop around and the option to buy or not, now you don't. That's what's offensive.

No one in this entire thread has come up with any positive facts to defend obamacare.

The facts are;

- obamacare doesn't provide health care its a tax.

- Government has taken over the healthcare insurance marketplace.

- obamacare took away our free market health coverage.

- People have lost their coverage.

- People's premiums have escalated.

- You are forced to buy what you don't like or want.

- People are loosing their primary care doctors.

- 1/5th of the economy is taken over by the government.

- People are forced by law to risk their life savings by divulging their financial identification numbers to strangers who could turn out to be convicted felons, and it did.

- $700,000,000 and counting on a website that doesn't work after, what makes you think any of it will.

- obama care is a law that affects 300,000,000 people yet it passed on a partisan basis without ANYONE reading it and supported by lies.

- millions of people including unions and government workers want to opt out of obamacare but only those with political ties seem to be arbitrarily given that right.

I can go on and on...

Forget the rhetoric, please dispute any of these FACTS and show me FACTS that actually prove that obamacare is good for those of us forced into it unwillingly. Factual reasons, I dare you!

That is not what I gather from talking to cable companies. They buy larger quantities when the prices come down, and less
when they go up. I have never had one tell me they were raising prices in anticipation of higher material costs. When materials costs
DO go up, they raise prices.

They all buy as you say they do...I'm not convinced they hold off however in raising prices and perhaps jumping the gun for their benefit.

I still see no facts to disprove this points, everything points to it. Go to the exchange and check for yourself. Open the policy and see what's in it mandated by obamacare and how much of it you need. The difference is pre obama care, you had the choice to shop around and the option to buy or not, now you don't. That's what's offensive.

No one in this entire thread has come up with any positive facts to defend obamacare.

The facts are;

- People are forced by law to risk their life savings by divulging their financial identification numbers to strangers who could turn out to be convicted felons, and it did.

- $700,000,000 and counting on a website that doesn't work after, what makes you think any of it will.

- obama care is a law that affects 300,000,000 people yet it passed on a partisan basis without ANYONE reading it and supported by lies.

- millions of people including unions and government workers want to opt out of obamacare but only those with political ties seem to be arbitrarily given that right.

I can go on and on...

Forget the rhetoric, please dispute any of these FACTS and show me FACTS that actually prove that obamacare is good for those of us forced into it unwillingly. Factual reasons, I dare you!

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"I can go on and on... " No please don't. See ya.

The difference is speculators buy and sell oil. Cable companies are not speculators, and neither are health insurance companies.:)

Good point. There is no uncertainty in insurance.

These are tough threads guys and even I have probably transgressed the borders at which I draw a line for others but one can see how it can stir one's emotions

It is tough to keep politics and finger pointing out of the thread so please, all of you take a deep breath. Think before you hit the send button. It is an interesting thread so let's try as difficult as it might seem to keep emotions out of this but to keep this thread alive, this is what it is going to take

In MA car insurance rates are regulated, and despite everyone's initial outcry, it has worked well: insurance companies still make money and more of them are pouring in, owners still get original parts even if the car is four years old (I did just last month), and we still bitch and moan about high premiums. So... anyone in favor of regulated health care premiums _and hospital charges_ send a note to your congressmen. I feel health care costs have been and continue to be out of touch with reality. Take it from someone who's wife works for Blue Cross and the profit margins are literally 1% - that's it.

The facts are;

I can go on and on...

Perhaps you should read something other than Faux News!

I must be missing something here...because I am under the impression that IF you don't want to use Obamacare, you can still go directly to the insurance company of your choice and BUY health insurance ( most likely at a MUCH higher premium, BUT perhaps not always). I checked this with Anthem Blue Cross and they were very happy to have me continue with them. ( In my case at a MUCH higher premium ...but everyone is probably different here).

Perhaps you should read something other than Faux News!

Fine Myles, whatever you say, but attacking me doesn't change the fact that you can't or haven't disputed any of these points nor you supplied any facts in favor of obamacare for millions of us who are negatively affected. Enlighten us with some facts!

david

Last edited:
I must be missing something here...because I am under the impression that IF you don't want to use Obamacare, you can still go directly to the insurance company of your choice and BUY health insurance ( most likely at a MUCH higher premium, BUT perhaps not always). I checked this with Anthem Blue Cross and they were very happy to have me continue with them. ( In my case at a MUCH higher premium ...but everyone is probably different here).

AFAIK not everyone qualifies for Obamacare

My youngest son didn't qualify because he is making too much money. If he were to stay with Blue Shield of California his premium was going to double with an increased deductible and fewer benefits. My youngest daughter wanted to keep her insurance but was told she qualifies for Obamacare. When she applied for another Blue Shield policy which is what we wanted for her (she's 24) she was declined because she has a history of back pain.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing