Just got my bill for January's heath insurance, it more than doubled to $733, thanks.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Thanks Obama and all the dems for doubling my healthcare premium. Looks like all the individual plan holders all just got hosed.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Ours came close to doubling while at the same time, the benefits were severely reduced, co-pays went up and coverage went down. Next year, I may not even be eligible to be on the wife's family plan. "Thanks" would not be a term I would use......you don't want to know the term I would use as it's not a polite one.

Tom

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Peter --

Put on your onsie and have some hot cocoa ;)

PajamaBoy02.jpg

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Mine went up $10/month and now have out of network access to doctors. Company arranged for those who aren't full time and hence not covered to get insurance at $74/month.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The rate for us to insure our employees doubled also. So we are giving them this year's premium and letting them choose one on the exchange. Most of our guys benefit that way because they qualify for credits and such due to lower income.

So I had to get my own personal insurance through the exchange and it was very expensive. We are paying almost $1,800 per month or nearly $20,000 a year! And this is for the "silver" plan, not gold. What is the maximum these plans pay anyway? A few hundred thousands? Seems like one could become self insured and be better off at some point. I am pretty sure if I put that $20K in some safe investment over a few years I could have pretty good cushion to absorb a lot of exposure.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Well, FWIW, my individual plan and my premium stayed exactly the same.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
... I am pretty sure if I put that $20K in some safe investment over a few years I could have pretty good cushion to absorb a lot of exposure.
The problem with this idea is that the prices you pay for anything requiring hospitalization are at least 2-3 x higher if you have no insurance; even non-hospital prices tend to be higher although typically not as much so.

I haven't made a comprehensive study of all situations, but certainly the best solution for an individual is a "high deductible" (at least $1250? or something like that) plan and an HSA.

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
So I had to get my own personal insurance through the exchange and it was very expensive. We are paying almost $1,800 per month or nearly $20,000 a year! And this is for the "silver" plan, not gold. What is the maximum these plans pay anyway? A few hundred thousands? Seems like one could become self insured and be better off at some point. I am pretty sure if I put that $20K in some safe investment over a few years I could have pretty good cushion to absorb a lot of exposure.

This would be an excellent point save for the fact that these Obamacare policies have no plan maximum liability for the insurer.
Their liability is unlimited, while your costs are limited on a yearly basis. Yes, if your policy had a max payout of a couple of hundred grand, it might make sense to self insure, as that sum would probably not bankrupt you (and many of the posters here). But what if your medical costs exceed that couple of hundred grand? What if it was $500k, $1m? Admittedly, the likelihood of needing that much coverage is small, and for those with appropriate assets, the answer is a real catastrophic policy that only kicks in at whopping liabilities. Perhaps a even higher deductible than the Bronze plan, maybe a Sponge Iron plan?

I'm not thrilled with my insurance cost for me and my wife, $18k/yr, either. But under the ACA that fine print stating 'individual yearly max $250k, lifetime $500k', that were often found on what were considered excellent policies, are gone.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Next year, I may not even be eligible to be on the wife's family plan.
The rate for us to insure our employees doubled also.
That is exactly why I may lose my health insurance next year. "Family" for the company she works for [which comparatively and historically speaking was/still considered some top tier insurance coverage through BC/BS] may no longer consider spouses as family under the new insurance changes and its new costs. Only the employee and children would qualify.

Tom

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I haven't made a comprehensive study of all situations, but certainly the best solution for an individual is a "high deductible" (at least $1250? or something like that) plan and an HSA.

I completely agree

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I'm not thrilled with my insurance cost for me and my wife, $18k/yr, either. But under the ACA that fine print stating 'individual yearly max $250k, lifetime $500k', that were often found on what were considered excellent policies, are gone.

Until the next election... by voting for Obama we have moved healthcare mgmt. into the public domain (political). God bless us all. I don't mean to say that the vote was premeditated by any of us but the outcome is very scary (for our children).

Next year, the dems may cap us at $100K lifetime per year. Heck, they wrote the thing. Who paid for it? Ins. industry perhaps.

The real point is... is more gov better? Now it is directly effecting me and my company in a not-so-good way. Feel free to pull this post or let fly!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Why should he ? All was well enough until Obama messed up 1/3 of our economy (healthcare). I suppose only a liberal could be happy with this debacle.
Just a couple of points here. First, large businesses always shop for new plans each year, not to do so would be foolish, and it behooves individuals and small busineses to do the same. Second, health insurance prices go up every year anyway; only a couple of years ago Anthem BC/BS had a 34% increase in most states. Third, in no way "all was well enough"; the health care system and in particular the way we pay for it is and has been a disaster for a long time, and something needs to be done about it. It's way too soon to say whether the PCACA will end up being good or bad, but if it's bad it needs to be replaced, not simply repealed.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I would think that would also depend upon one's age. A higher deductible might be more applicable to younger people.
I think it works at any age. I'm 60 and my annual after-tax health care costs (including insurance) are pretty low; the income tax deductibility ("above the line") of insurance premiums and HSA contributions are a big help.

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Until the next election... by voting for Obama we have moved healthcare mgmt. into the public domain (political). God bless us all. I don't mean to say that the vote was premeditated by any of us but the outcome is very scary (for our children).
Ummm.... and leaving it to lassiez fair capitalism is prefferable?

Next year, the dems may cap us at $100K lifetime per year. Heck, they wrote the thing. Who paid for it? Ins. industry perhaps.
Indeed, this crony capitalism is dangerous. The revolving door between Treasury, Wall Street and Congress is proof of that. Its no better with this devils bargain between the goverment, insurance and the healthcare industry. Next year, the 'publicans may mandate compulsory reading of 'The Fountainhead' prior to receiving medical care...

The real point is... is more gov better? Now it is directly effecting me and my company in a not-so-good way. Feel free to pull this post or let fly!
No, the real point is we need competent, rational government, not creed based nonsense with Rogoff like twaddle to back it up. We need 50 more Elizabeth Warrens in Congress.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Where were the complaints when Bush expanded government and its payrolls to unprecedented levels?

This is not directed at you Peter, I am just sick of Republican revisionist history. Bush INHERITED a SURPLUS. He CREATED A DEFICIT. He DESTROYED the economy. He STARTED the bailouts.

We don't need more or less government, we need government to be what ever size it needs to be to work.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Just a couple of points here. First, large businesses always shop for new plans each year, not to do so would be foolish, and it behooves individuals and small busineses to do the same. Second, health insurance prices go up every year anyway; only a couple of years ago Anthem BC/BS had a 34% increase in most states. Third, in no way "all was well enough"; the health care system and in particular the way we pay for it is and has been a disaster for a long time, and something needs to be done about it. It's way too soon to say whether the PCACA will end up being good or bad, but if it's bad it needs to be replaced, not simply repealed.

Absolutely correct..companies I have worked for would ROUTINELY change providers if costs went up. I have probably had over 15 insurance companies provide insurance since graduating college.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing