Jonathan Tinn R.I.P.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Jonathan and I were close friends for over twenty years. I heard he had passed yesterday. I echo all that Mike said. In addition-

I have never known someone so loyal and giving of his time to help you. He had your back!

He had the most positive attitude of anyone I have ever known which was absolutely contagious.

His devotion to Charlie and Gabriel was without equal, he loved those boys passionItaly.

His ear was extraordinary, unwavering and consistent- you could make bank on it.

He conceived of, created and produced two world class audio pieces which will undoubtedly stand the test of time- Wave Kinetics NVS turntable and Evolution Acoustics speakers.

His incredible ear led him to the lines he distributed. He found darTZeel decades ago, believed in this tiny Swiss startup and Herve, and brought them to market- the rest is history! And, his fierce loyalty extended to the protection of those lines, thru thick and thin. He was as loyal to Herve as he was to the boys.

He loved music more than any human being I have ever met. He loved all music and he loved talking to you about the music you loved and the music he loved, so refreshing in a world so obsessed with gear talk. That’s what it’s all about, after all.

I could go on and on, but I will stop here. The world has lost a beautiful person. I cant wait to see and talk to him again at “The Great Gig in the Sky.”

I Love you man!

Franz
Beautifully written Franz , thank you! I am glad you touched on his passion for music and how generously he shared his favorites with all who know him. This in many ways defined him in our gear centric industry. Yes he loved to talk about the sound of gear but it was his love of music that drove his passion for creating and promoting the products he represented and never wavered. Did he tell you about his DJ days? I suspect he did:)

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Jonathan and I were close friends for over twenty years. I heard he had passed yesterday. I echo all that Mike said. In addition-

I have never known someone so loyal and giving of his time to help you. He had your back!

He had the most positive attitude of anyone I have ever known which was absolutely contagious.

His devotion to Charlie and Gabriel was without equal, he loved those boys passionItaly.

His ear was extraordinary, unwavering and consistent- you could make bank on it.

He conceived of, created and produced two world class audio pieces which will undoubtedly stand the test of time- Wave Kinetics NVS turntable and Evolution Acoustics speakers.

His incredible ear led him to the lines he distributed. He found darTZeel decades ago, believed in this tiny Swiss startup and Herve, and brought them to market- the rest is history! And, his fierce loyalty extended to the protection of those lines, thru thick and thin. He was as loyal to Herve as he was to the boys.

He loved music more than any human being I have ever met. He loved all music and he loved talking to you about the music you loved and the music he loved, so refreshing in a world so obsessed with gear talk. That’s what it’s all about, after all.

I could go on and on, but I will stop here. The world has lost a beautiful person. I cant wait to see and talk to him again at “The Great Gig in the Sky.”

I Love you man!

Franz
Beautifully written and said, Franz. I could not agree with you more!!!

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Oh, my! So sorry to hear of Jonathan's passing, Mike. I remember Sonny and I driving up from California
and meeting Jonathan in Portland. He gave us a cartridge and asked us to convey it to you.

May we offer our condolences to loved ones and friends. R.I.P. Jonathan.

etunes

Jan 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
it's with great sadness that i share that my beloved friend, Jonathan Tinn, passed away last week. Jonathan was a major force in our hobby, with companies building speakers and cables (Evolution Acoustics), turntables and resonance control (Wave Kinetics), and distributing digital, (Merging Technology) electronics, amps and preamps (darTZeel). Jonathan had the best ears i have ever been around. And he really knew music, even produced some recordings. Jonathan had a knack for picking hifi winners, and aligned himself with some really outstanding partners.

Jonathan had a larger than life personality, and knew many of us here. He could command a room, but always made sure everyone was a part. His quick wit, class and genuineness came thru. When you were Jonathan's friend, he pulled you all the way in. Lived life to the fullest. I think I speak for all of his hifi friends when I say we were lucky to have known him. His passing is a blow to us all. One of a kind, for sure.

Personally, Jonathan and I had many, many great times together and on the phone, always there for each other, a forever friend. These last few days many have reached out to me, knowing how close we were. Many thanks for that support.

Jonathan was a devoted father to his two boys.
Mike,

My deepest condolences . JT was the best of us . His love and passion skipped me right thru to the heart of the matter. Music and all the joy it brings. I'm honored to have known him and I know his passion will live on when the needle drops. God's speed JT. Thank you.

JEB42

May 8, 2020
Toronto, Canada,
www.sonicartistry.ca
A deep sense of sadness and loss is felt by all those that he touched. Our deep felt condolences to his family, friends and colleagues. He will be missed and remembered always.

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
Very sad to hear the news of Jonathan passing
condolences , Mike
I still use and thoroughly enjoy the tosca the tone arm !
one for Jonathan
RIP

Abbinormal

Feb 15, 2020
This is sad news indeed. Jonathan was a great guy and a driving force in this business. I am thankful to have known him and his passing is a blow to the industry and a loss for all of us.

hce4

Jun 1, 2010
I don’t post often, but felt compelled to pay my respects here, thanks for sharing the news, Mike Lavigne. I’m deeply saddened to learn of Jonathan’s passing…

To be brief, I met Jonathan through a mutual friend in 2020 when I expressed interest in darTZeel after trying most of the other brands. He was the kindest, quirkiest, most honest audiophile I met in my 20 years of this hobby. I bought the 18NSm2 and 108m2 through Jonathan, then later the 468s (but back to the 108m2 now due to circumstances)...

I enjoyed working with Jonathan on my darTZeels, but connecting with him on being a new father was by far the most memorable experience he and I shared. My boys were born in 2020 and 2022. Jonathan was so supportive and willing to share his personal experiences of parenting his two boys. He was giddy with glee every time we talked about raising boys. This truly touched my heart. I’m just regretful our families never got the chance to meet in person..

I will miss our friendship, conversations of parenting, and the love for HiFi and music we shared.

Jonathan accomplished so much and touched so many, truly a life well lived even if it was cut short... It’s a time to celebrate his memory and express gratitude for knowing him. My sincerest condolences to Jonathan’s family and friends.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
it's with great sadness that i share that my beloved friend, Jonathan Tinn, passed away last week. Jonathan was a major force in our hobby, with companies building speakers and cables (Evolution Acoustics), turntables and resonance control (Wave Kinetics), and distributing digital, (Merging Technology) electronics, amps and preamps (darTZeel). Jonathan had the best ears i have ever been around. And he really knew music, even produced some recordings. Jonathan had a knack for picking hifi winners, and aligned himself with some really outstanding partners.

Jonathan had a larger than life personality, and knew many of us here. He could command a room, but always made sure everyone was a part. His quick wit, class and genuineness came thru. When you were Jonathan's friend, he pulled you all the way in. Lived life to the fullest. I think I speak for all of his hifi friends when I say we were lucky to have known him. His passing is a blow to us all. One of a kind, for sure.

Personally, Jonathan and I had many, many great times together and on the phone, always there for each other, a forever friend. These last few days many have reached out to me, knowing how close we were. Many thanks for that support.

Jonathan was a devoted father to his two boys.
Very sad to read this Mike. He was well respected in the industry. Sending prayers for his family.

manjy

Aug 31, 2011
Very sad to hear about Jonathan and my deepest condolences to his family.
He was a thorough gentleman and was always willing to guide and help me through my audio journey.
Will be missed.

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
So very sorry to hear this news. Only talked to him a few times but he left a very positive impression with me. RIP

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
Mike, thank you so much for sharing about your friend. I've never had the pleasure of meeting him, but certainly, his reputation precedes him. It is wonderful to have a great system to experience music on, but it is just so much more gratifying listening with a solid friend. It sounds like to me that Jonathan was certainly that for you and you were so blessed by having the opportunity to be his friend as well. Whether listening to music together, talking on the phone, or spending time in other ways, we are meant to enjoy the company of others - your comments make it apparent that Jonathan cannot be replaced. Blessings to the Tinn family and blessings to you too Mike. Good friends are truly hard to come by. May your grief be minimal, and your memories be ever so comforting.

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Dear Mike L.
So so sorry to hear about this. I know you you two were really close. Sincerely hope that his kids and wife are doing well considering.
Thanks for introducing me to JT at your place so many years ago.
Always a gentleman, so honest about all things audio and life.

We had many great conversations, "how is my brother from another mother" is how we started all of our calls. Some of our calls lasted for hours at a time, topics ranged from music, construction and methods for sound rooms, of course darTZeel gear and about his son's playing sports. He was so proud of them.
Bought a darT amp and pre, cartridges and spent time at his place over the years in Portland. What a great time and a great host.
What a shame to loose him so early.

RIP Sir JT

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Just learning of this. Very sad to hear that Jonathan has left us so early. I've only spoken to him over the phone a few times and of course bought some speakers from him. Was anticipating new and exciting things coming from JT in the future. He brought much joy to many of us in hifi.

Thoughts with Jonathan's family and for Mike L for the loss.

Hoosr1

May 27, 2023
I am deeply sad to hear the news. I just moved and called JT to help set up the new music room, I didn’t hear back which was extremely unusual and saw this post.

He was a true friend, always there, smart about life, a loving father, and just plain fun to talk to. Yes he had an incredible ear and all my equipment is from him and wonderful, but our talks brought me more joy than my listening sessions. I will miss him dearly and my heart goes out to his family and friends.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

I Love you man!

Franz
What a beautiful tribute!

I am so sorry for your loss Franz.

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022

Vicks7

Jul 1, 2013
Sao Paulo, Brazil
My deepest condolences Mike. I only heard this incredibly sad news yesterday when I stumbled on this thread. I am shocked and saddened and had no idea that Jonathan had been in ill health. My dealings with Jonathan went back to 2011 when I was finally able to get off the merry-go-round of equipment swapping. Over time I purchased the MMTwos, a Dartzeel pre and a Wave Kinetics NVS turtable through Jonathan. He was always an absolute pleasure to deal with and never failed to help which in my case was appreciated as I live in Brazil and shipping anything here is incredibly bureaucratic.
I shared the same birthday as his son Gabe so we would often exchange happy birthdays to each other. I was looking back through the emails I had exchanged with him over the years, and most recently he was excited for my dedicated music room that was completed last year.
I will be listening to some music tonight on the equipment I purchased from Jonathan and will raise a glass, may he rest in peace.
James

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing