Jonathan Tinn R.I.P.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
it's with great sadness that i share that my beloved friend, Jonathan Tinn, passed away last week. Jonathan was a major force in our hobby, with companies building speakers and cables (Evolution Acoustics), turntables and resonance control (Wave Kinetics), and distributing digital, (Merging Technology) electronics, amps and preamps (darTZeel). Jonathan had the best ears i have ever been around. And he really knew music, even produced some recordings. Jonathan had a knack for picking hifi winners, and aligned himself with some really outstanding partners.

Jonathan had a larger than life personality, and knew many of us here. He could command a room, but always made sure everyone was a part. His quick wit, class and genuineness came thru. When you were Jonathan's friend, he pulled you all the way in. Lived life to the fullest. I think I speak for all of his hifi friends when I say we were lucky to have known him. His passing is a blow to us all. One of a kind, for sure.

Personally, Jonathan and I had many, many great times together and on the phone, always there for each other, a forever friend. These last few days many have reached out to me, knowing how close we were. Many thanks for that support.

Jonathan was a devoted father to his two boys.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Mike, really sorry to hear this. I really enjoyed talking to him over the phone a couple of times and his posts on the forums, audiogon or here, whenever he posted, have been excellent value adds. The products you got from him are all great products. I respected his entrepreneurial initiatives ever since you briefed me on my first visit how he pulled the people together to produce the NVS, which is a brilliant turntable.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
My sincere condolences Mike. I only spoke to JT once or twice and did not know him but I think I would have enjoyed having that opportunity.Sadly I wont.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Mike, the news of Jonathan’s passing is so sad. I got to know Jonathan over the past several years after acquiring your NVS and then the Tosca. Jonathan and I grew up in the same neighborhood although not at the same time and we shared stories about growing up on Long Island.

I am very sorry for your loss.

2fastdriving

Jan 19, 2023
My condolences, Mike. Sorry to hear your friend has passed away. I didn't know him or ever speak to him, but clearly judging by his work alone, he was an amazing guy.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Mike, Please accept my condolence on the passing of a frIend who held such singular significance to you during your time together.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Mike, my condolences to you and your family on Jonathan's passing and your loss.. I remember that you were very close for many years. Thanks to your introduction a few years ago I had the pleasure of speaking with him a few times and remember enjoying talking about audio gear, speakers, music and love of this hobby with him. May he Rest In Peace....

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Condolences indeed Mike.I was shocked when I heard the news. I have known Jonathan for at least 20 years. It was he who got me back into digital as well as sharing with me so much of the music he loved. We spoke many times throughout the years and he even visited me once to hear my system.. He was always such a wealth of information. The industry gained much from his presence and he will be missed.

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
Condolences on the loss of your great friend. I too have spoken to Jonathan over the last decade or so when I had EA and Dart. I too grew up on Long Island and we spoke of several memories. A very big loss for sure.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
I think I speak for all of his hifi friends when I say we were lucky to have known him. His passing is a blow to us all. One of a kind, for sure.
Amen. He will be dearly missed.

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019
What a loss…I owe so much of my audio journey to Jonathan. I don’t want to believe this. I’m thinking of his family and all his friends at this time. He is irreplaceable

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Mike, I am very sorry to learn of the loss of Jonathan. He was a wonderful person, and a huge asset to the industry. He will be missed.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Geez, Mike, so sorry to hear this. Never met him but know he was close to you and played a role in the development of the modern high end. I'll say a prayer to some god, for you, him and his family and friends. (I'm kinda not religious but respect spirituality). Feel for you, my friend.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing