Joker | Trailer / Starring Joaquin Phoenix, alongside Robert De Niro

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Bob

in this thread I wrote a lengthy review of my thoughts about this movie. For me this is the Best movie of the year to date. If Joaquin Phoenix doesn’t win best actor there is no justice
Best picture
vest Actor
Best Director
Possible Best Editing

what were your thoughts when you saw it

not once in this thread have I read your thoughts about this movie.

I know what you wrote Steve, no need to repeat it. And you are not truly interested to know my thoughts. If you were you wouldn't act like this with me. Can you see; I lost my appetite.
Everything I say is not satisfying to you, even when I say nothing.

Personally I would rather read your thoughts about the film than the daily box office. You are usually very good in your summaries. Hence my question.

Not trying to be your dad. Not the least interested. I do however value your synopses of movies as do others here.

If you truly value my opinion you would have better respect for me.
Best actor I can see that. For the the rest the year is not over yet.
The film is a departure from the norm, in some ways but not totally.
I give it an 8 out of 10, for Joaquin's transformation.

As for best picture, best director, best editing, best music score (that I liked too), we'll see ...
...The Irishman and 1917.

* I'm into a new direction nowadays ... music. Good for the soul.
And few docs, for the fun and the advanced knowledge.

Now if those numbers bother you that much just get rid of them...it's your show and there's nothing I can do about it. When I'm in the mood to talk something else I'll do my best to please you, and everyone else. I will never mention any numbers anymore, period.

I'm surprised because you won't allow me to reply to you in PM. It's a one-way direction with you Steve. It's very hard sometimes to live without fear. You often have the wrong judgement, and when you realize it you don't acknowledge it or it's too late...the damage is done.
And when it's time to just forget about it and move forward you have a very tough time with it.

So I'll talk about films when I feel like it, and about music when I feel like it, and about audio gear when I feel like it, and about cars when I feel like it. You are not my judge, you are the main administrator/owner of Whats Best Forum.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Besides the acting, what I really liked best about the Joker is the cinematography. Almost every frame is a really good photograph. The still shots from this film are superb.

Bob, I agree with you that the Joker hitting the $1B mark is very impressive for this type of movie. I remember when the Bond franchise hit the $1B mark, and that was a combination of many movies. Of course the numbers are different now, and these don't even include China. The riot scenes and present day Hong Kong are too similar.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Joker's cinematographer Lawrence Sher and film director Todd Phillips originally intended to shoot Joker in 70mm. But it wasn't meant to be with Warner Bros. having the final decision.
I still love what they did with the cameras intimacy in following Joaquin.
I agree with you Peter that several shots are like portrait paintings, framed exposures of great moving impact. I only can imagine what a 70mm print would have been like.
The musical score compensates ...

I'm sure you've read about it too so no need for links of videos or docs. Let's keep it simple (interview)
https://filmschoolrejects.com/lawrence-sher-joker-interview/

Reactions: Steve Williams

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
She contributed to the music of Chernobyl mini-series on HBO (and now on Blu-ray) and Joker. She also contributed to other film's music score.

Me I really like her music because it reflects emotionally the tragedy in Joker on a deeper level, a character certainly of the film.

? https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...omposer-hildur-gunadottir-im-treasure-hunting

She's my top best favorite for an Oscar @ the Academy Awards, February 9, 2020

- MUSIC: https://www.hildurness.com/music
- FILMS: https://www.hildurness.com/films

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
De Niro is Phoenix's fave actor?
Oh yeah, Dirty Grandpa.
'Nuff said.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing