Joker | Trailer / Starring Joaquin Phoenix, alongside Robert De Niro

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I saw this last week and have been thinking about it since.

First, I thought the movie was great as was Phoenix. No need to re-state what others have already said.

The shame of it is that it is very disturbing and many movie-goers are just not comfortable with that. As a result, there are people who won’t get to see Phoenix’s performance and may support the best acting award go to someone else.

(Plot discussion upcoming)

He was mesmerizing in this role. You could see his transformation as his mental illness took a greater hold of his mind. The combination of being fired and realizing his mother’s role in his sad life was too much for him to handle. He capitulated.

I never thought I would see someone play this role as well as Ledger. Phoenix did.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Totally agree except he will win for sure. One of the most remarkable roles I’ve seen in years. For me this is the story of Arthur Frankel becoming the Joker. I liked Ledgers portrayal but for my money Joaquin Phoenix IS the Joker

Reactions: PeterA

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Today ...

Grosses
DOMESTIC (32.6%)
$277,931,557

INTERNATIONAL (67.4%)
$574,100,000

WORLDWIDE
$852,031,557

In release: 24 days

You can call me impressed, very.
It's not even a Disney film (it's from WB), it's Restricted (not for everyone, not for the General public...all kids are not allowed), it's not even playing in China, and it has no 3D presentation (only 2D), and it's a low budget film (only $55 million).

* Some say (Forbes) that by the end of next weekend (31 days) it will be over $900 million.
Then later on between $950 and $975 million, by the end of its cume.
$1 billion? ...Maybe. It depends of how strong he'll keep going (favorable winds) and how long it'll remain in theaters.
China? We never know for certain ... if sometime they decide to present it, because they present other films (one among) that is much more violent.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The Terminator/Dark Fate group can only look at this, and weep.

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Joker: Few behind the scenes photographs ...
https://worldsgreatestdetective.com...ges-include-a-possible-reference-to-catwoman/

Among ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
This film has legs. Today marks the end of its fifth week in theaters...thirty-five days.
When all the numbers come up (domestic and foreign) @ the and of the day, Joker will have amassed approximately $955 million worldwide. $1 billion is 100% guaranteed (in the money bag).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
After some calculations I predict that by the end of Sunday, November 17 Joker will have reached the $1 billion mark worldwide (box office revenues)...ten days from today.

* The 4K Blu-ray comes up on December 17.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Roughly seven hours ago ...

"The global box office total of Joker is now $984.7M with $621.2M from offshore markets after a $20.3M sixth weekend. If the streak continues, Joaquin Phoenix's Arthur Fleck could be the newest member of the billion-dollar club by the end of the week."

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Just got back from seeing the film with my wife and daughter. For a movie of this sort I always find my barometer with the 2 of them. There were signs outside the theater warning parents not to bring their kids to this movie because of the content

So let's cut to the chase.Simply put the three of us loved the movie. You need some Prozac first to sanely watch the movie but for my eyes at this point in the year I haven't seen a better role by a lead actor as Joaquin Phoenix nor have I seen better editing, directing or cinematography

If Phoenix doesn't win for this one there's no justice

As my wife said, it is a very said story as it unfolds. We see one man who is mentally unstable with a neurologic condition where he laughs incessantly descend into the depths of depravity and we feel as if we have walked entirely with him.

We see an angry society who turns there back on this man who only want to make people laugh. It shows the moment he snaps and crosses the Rubicon. For him he reaches his valhalla as he becomes truly psychotic.

There are a few twists in the movie that I won't give away when it happens in Gotham City , you get my gist

The director of this film should be nominated as all he has done heretofore has been comedy such as the Hangover Trilogy. For him to do a movie as dark as this takes sheer genius and to watch the acting of Phoenix makes it so much more believable

As for the soundtrackin the film it too should get a nod as it was perfect for the film. How better an ending during the rolling credits to hear "Send In The Clowns"

The movie is the perfect length at 2 hours and there was no watch looking or dozing off

I have to admit based on what I have read here I was worried about what I was going to see

Man was I wrong. This so far for me has been the best film of the year

DeNiro was terrific in it but Joaquin Phoenix had the role of his career

Definitely a big thumb's up

Yes there is graphic violence but this is seen in almost every movie now. The story was superb tying everything together as it was the catalyst for Joker (Arthur Fleck) descending into the depraved and believable state in which we saw him

There are still 3 months left and all of the best films are due out. The only one that I find a must see is 1917. Joker IMO is a “don't miss”

Joaquin Phoenix is a Master Acteur i was also very very impressed by his Rol in "The Master" but here he is in Ultra forma he deserves two Oscars if it was possible all i can say is Chapeau!!!

Steve Williams

Does anyone even care about the daily tally of these movies. I don’t. I have no idea why he feels it important we know on a daily basis.
im betting he hasn’t seen the movie until it’s on Netflix

what is important to me about a movie is whether it was entertaining and captured my attention. I don’t care about box office takes as they tell me nothing about the movie. The last daily report was on a
meaningless superhero movie which I wouldn’t pay a penny to see. Only the executive producers, shareholders and Bob find importance in the daily box office

having said that i expect we will be briefed on a daily basis

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, have you seen the film yet?

Few weeks ago.

* Steve, you are certainly entitled of your opinion, I have great respect for you.
It's your show; you decide that you don't like this thread just delete it and case closed.
What do you want me to say when you are constantly pounding on me?
I'm having a great weekend in company of family members and friends, so I just don't need someone watching over me on every move.

Please, let it go and try your best moving forward. ...As a friend.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Really. I’m impressed. You’ve said nothing about what you thought about the movie. Not once. Only the box office take has meaning for you I guess.

Could you stop using this childish tone please? Are you an adult or my Dad?

I don't know if you noticed but I don't talk much anymore about movies; I'm trying my best to blend peacefully with the community. Yeah the numbers for Joker are impressive, very different than the norm for this flick.
And I don't know what more I can add that was already said by most.

Come visit me on the Island and I'll show you around magic places, it'll blow your mind off.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Bob

in this thread I wrote a lengthy review of my thoughts about this movie. For me this is the Best movie of the year to date. If Joaquin Phoenix doesn’t win best actor there is no justice
Best picture
vest Actor
Best Director
Possible Best Editing

what were your thoughts when you saw it

not once in this thread have I read your thoughts about this movie.

Steve Williams

Personally I would rather read your thoughts about the film than the daily box office. You are usually very good in your summaries. Hence my question.

Not trying to be your dad. Not the least interested. I do however value your synopses of movies as do others here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing