Joker | Trailer / Starring Joaquin Phoenix, alongside Robert De Niro

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Edit - almost forgot to mention that it was interesting how it was tied back in to the Batman origin story.

The age difference isn't really useful though, so who knows how that'll play out. But they were trying to make it sound like Fleck was younger.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Can’t wait for the 4K Blu-Ray.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I tend to agree with folsom that it’s not worth comparing Joker roles. To me Ledger was already theJoker who did a lot of bad stuff in the movie

in this new version what I found so fascinating was that it was the story of Arthur Fleck who we watch descend into a world of delusions and paranoia to ultimately morph into the Joker. The acting is IMO so far superior by Phoenix that I had to worry what he went through to do this role. This is a movie that people will talk about for a very long time.
Ledger won the Oscar posthumously.

my bet is Joaquin Phoenix to win the oscar for best actor and so far I’m calling Todd Phillips as best Director. The music score couldn’t have been any more perfect.

this role will go down as legendary. As I posted earlier you need a Prozac to watch this movie

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't feel that Phoenix acted superiorly, but rather that his roll was more complicated since his character is severely mentally ill, and it's a total feat to accomplish it - and do a stellar job. For me Ledger became someone totally else, transcended himself. I still felt a bit of Phoenix in Phoenix.

It would be scandalous if Phoenix isn't up for best actor given everything else this year that just isn't near that level.

Gotham was so real that it was sorta like I kept forgetting they were not in NYC or something.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I saw the film last night. I don't go to movies at the theater much anymore, so this was a treat. I found it quite disturbing. Phoenix was incredible. For me, the movie was not about the violence but about mental illness and the internal struggle he has with himself and with society. He is the outsider. It is a very dark film, beautifully made, with haunting music, great cinematography, and Oscar worthy acting. Many of the scenes show the Joker alone, isolated, inside his mind, and outside of society.

I loved it and recommend it. It is not a casual watch. Interestingly, some of the riot scenes in Gotham toward the end of the film remind me of actual events seen on the news in some of our cities, and what we are now seeing in Hong Kong. The Joker was a flashpoint, and thoughtful people who are criticised because they view things differently from the way those in power would suggest, they become quiet and don't share their thoughts with others. They turn inward and search for ways to act out. These people can relate to the character, and once that flame is ignited, stuff happens. We this this today, all around us. It's a powerful film and reflective of our times.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

I saw the film last night. I don't go to movies at the theater much anymore, so this was a treat. I found it quite disturbing. Phoenix was incredible. For me, the movie was not about the violence but about mental illness and the internal struggle he has with himself and with society. He is the outsider. It is a very dark film, beautifully made, with haunting music, great cinematography, and Oscar worthy acting. Many of the scenes show the Joker alone, isolated, inside his mind, and outside of society.

I loved it and recommend it. It is not a casual watch. Interestingly, some of the riot scenes in Gotham toward the end of the film remind me of actual events seen on the news in some of our cities, and what we are now seeing in Hong Kong. The Joker was a flashpoint, and quite people all over can relate, and once that flame is ignited, stuff happens. It's a powerful film and reflective of our times.

Peter

I couldn't have said it any better

This to me is what the clear difference i between Heath Ledger's joker and Joaquin Phoenix

This is what makes this movie so perfect and for me makes phoenix "The Joker"

For me, the movie was not about the violence but about mental illness and the internal struggle he has with himself and with society. He is the outsider

It shows how society has shunned Arthur Fleck and we become a part of his descent into depravity and violence as he morphs into The Joker

He remains my call for Best Actor so far this year. What he went through to assume that role was simply amazing let alone the 52 lb weight loss

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

I loved it and recommend it. It is not a casual watch. Interestingly, some of the riot scenes in Gotham toward the end of the film remind me of actual events seen on the news in some of our cities, and what we are now seeing in Hong Kong. The Joker was a flashpoint, and thoughtful people who are criticised because they view things differently from the way those in power would suggest, they become quiet and don't share their thoughts with others. They turn inward and search for ways to act out. These people can relate to the character, and once that flame is ignited, stuff happens. We this this today, all around us. It's a powerful film and reflective of our times.

Steve first, now you described in just few words the essence.
I will see the film @ the theater; yesterday I almost went...there is time, plenty of it ... for Joker.

The many still shots of the film are simply gorgeous photography. Some famous director wrote that every single frame of a film should stand on its own as an important image, or something like that. Perhaps Bob would know who said that.

I don't know Peter. But here's two short film articles (yes I've read them in full Steve), ... I just love films like Steve and many, and I just love music like Peter and many. I love voices, choirs, Opera, Classical, Piano, Cello, Violin, Tango and Jazz & Blues.

Beautiful films (no matter the genre, the language, the country where they're from, etc.) with beautiful music scores move me like they move many in life's emotional entertainment. It might not be the exact same wave and length but human.

? https://nofilmschool.com/2013/12/if...till-images-here-are-a-few-things-to-consider

? https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/film-making-martin-scorsese/
_____

I'm going to add something here: When I post a picture, a photo, a music video, an article, on anything in life, ...I research, I put my heart in things I do, I say, like we all do. People inspire me ...
You inspire me. Films inspire people. Music inspire people. Books inspire people. Arts, Nature, People, ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Strictly by the numbers ... from Scott (Forbes) ...

"Being optimistic, a $43.275 million second-weekend gross would give Joker around $181 million in ten days of domestic play.

If 38.7/61.3 domestic/overseas split (as it was on Sunday) remains as is or increases thanks to openings in France and elsewhere this weekend, then Joker could end the weekend with around $468 million worldwide."

You can call me impressed, very.
As of yesterday it stands @ $290 million worldwide, without the foreign numbers for this week.
If Scott's prediction is accurate, $465-470 million after this weekend would make Joker laughing all the way to the bank big big time. This is near half billion US dollars worldwide in just ten days!
And China is not even part of it.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Saw the 70mm cut last night. Completely agree that the Academy could cut 15' fromthe interminable Oscars show by FedEx'ing the Oscar to Joaquin Phoenix now.

This struck me as a great homage to Taxi Driver with a great little nod to Heath Ledger near the end of the movie. Perhaps this is why the miscast Robert DeNiro was in the movie. Cinematography and shot framing was first rate. Loved the soundtrack which really propelled the narrative.

Oh, they were screening bags and backpacks at Cinerama. We heard someone in the audience start mumbling and I looked at my wife a la "do we need to dive under the seats?" but didn't want to lose the chocolate popcorn. Highly recommended but not for everyone...

Steve Williams

Saw the 70mm cut last night. Completely agree that the Academy could cut 15' fromthe interminable Oscars show by FedEx'ing the Oscar to Joaquin Phoenix now.

This struck me as a great homage to Taxi Driver with a great little nod to Heath Ledger near the end of the movie. Perhaps this is why the miscast Robert DeNiro was in the movie. Cinematography and shot framing was first rate. Loved the soundtrack which really propelled the narrative.

Oh, they were screening bags and backpacks at Cinerama. We heard someone in the audience start mumbling and I looked at my wife a la "do we need to dive under the seats?" but didn't want to lose the chocolate popcorn. Highly recommended but not for everyone...

I totally agree. Take some Prozac before you see but a better character actor male winner this year just won't happen as I would be shocked if he didn't win

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actor
Best Cinematography
Best Film Editing
Best sound score
Best screen adaptation

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
'Joker', after only ten days @ the theaters ...
Domestic: $192,728,787 35.4%
+ Foreign: $351,200,000 64.6%
= Worldwide: $543,928,787

It might end up close to $1 billion @ the end. ...Very impressive for a R rated flick.

* Speaking of 'The Irishman', from few reviews overall it might end up cleaning up @ the Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director. It'll be very interesting this year again, because it's on Netflix next month and like Roma last year it seems already to be the big favorite.
https://www.goldderby.com/article/2...-irishman-netflix-martin-scorsese-5294831607/

Another view: https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/oscar-predictions-the-irishman-soars-as-joker-fizzles.html

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Good read if you are into it, about Joaquin Phoenix (not short) ...
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/10/joaquin-phoenix-cover-story

By the way, after yesterday (eleven days @ the theaters), 'Joker' stands @ $556,635,953 worldwide. It has passed the $200 million domestic milestone by $2 million.
For an October month film and R rated and not playing in China and with all the publicity it got from its controversial impact with various people from all alleys of our society and from such a short period of time, no wonder it's making the news more than any other news...fake and real.
It's even more talked about than any other talk on Twitter, even global news from any world regions. ...Way of speech emphasis. Simply put 'Joker' is big @ the moment and seems to be unstoppable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing