Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Audio jewelry taken to the max.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Audio jewelry taken to the max.
"Odin Gold advances the revolutionary technology generated throughout the development of the Odin 2 range, and improves upon its elemental composition. With this new preeminent cable range comes the introduction of a new material to Nordost’s award-winning design philosophy. One whose stability, conductivity, and tolerance yields transformative, never before experienced enhancements to performance. That material is gold."

Gotta love the business model, Odin 2 and all other audiophile cables that go from world changing to this years dog leash, buy more we gold plated the same turd. Where's the value and how long before the next super Bullshitium plated version making this one obsolete :rolleyes:?

"Nordost’s gold-plated TSC technology is then carried throughout the cable and into its purpose-built, 100% shielded, gold-plated HOLO:pLUG® connector. Odin Gold Power Cords are available with gold-plated HOLO:pLUG® US (Nema), EU (Schuko), AUS or UK to HOLO:pLUG® IEC-C15 or IEC-C19 terminations. The retail price is $34,999.99 for a 1.25 meter length; additional 1.25 meter increments are $9,500.00."

As a manufacturer and member of this industry companies like Nordost and the reviewers who push this rubbish on unsuspecting consumers disgust me most. What a load of CRAP!

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I blame Nordost for the entire stupid cable industry move. When they released Valhalla 20 years ago which was multiples of what everything else cost, the wheels spun in motion.

Reactions: wil and christoph

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Someone, not me, should count how many times the word “gold” is used in that embarrassing press release.

Yes, they use electro-plated gold measured in .0000x”. It’s cheap to electroplate gold. I used to sell 24 karat electroplated ginkgo leaves jewelry on the street when I was just out of college. They were junk (and very profitable I might add!)

And this seems to be Nordost’s focus on their marketing of a $34,000 cable.

Reactions: jespera

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
There were others before them, blame goes to People buying into this.
david

And it got worse when they were able to convince people that cables are apparently components. They were able to charge the prices of components, and today $34,000 for a preamp or DAC is pretty normal.

I was caught in the trap, but now I find it easy to resist. It took me a while to better understand what I was hearing.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i think our indignation is a bit selective around here. i get that sometimes it supports certain narratives. and cables and tweaks are a special category. few are untouched by excess (even the cost of acquiring vintage can be excess). just depends on where you are standing.

glass houses and all that.

reading about these new cables i admit these same thoughts came to mind....they do push limits. but not sure any (a very few?) here are in a position to quibble.

now if we hear them and they don't live up to their cost then that is fair game. and if you did not care for Odin 2 likely the Gold is not going to do it for you. but getting caught up on just the price (or color ;)) is not a good direction.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Master built does not have gold. There is also liquid ferrous

wil

Jul 22, 2015
i think our indignation is a bit selective around here. i get that sometimes it supports certain narratives. and cables and tweaks are a special category. few are untouched by excess (even the cost of acquiring vintage can be excess). just depends on where you are standing.

glass houses and all that.

reading about these new cables i admit these same thoughts came to mind....they do push limits. but not sure any (a very few?) here are in a position to quibble.

now if we hear them and they don't live up to their cost then that is fair game. and if you did not care for Odin 2 likely the Gold is not going to do it for you. but getting caught up on just the price (or color ;)) is not a good direction.
To me, this bit of an Nordost market speak goes to a whole Nother level of absurdity . As far as I can tell from reading this, there’s no actual new engineering which would produce yet more exalted sound.

They’ve just gold plated the hell out of everything in sight. This sounds like a product born 100% from the marketing department.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
To me, this bit of an Nordost market speak goes to a whole Nother level of horseshit. As far as I can tell from reading this, there’s no actual new engineering which would produce yet more exalted sound.

They’ve just gold plated the hell out of everything in sight. This sounds like a product born 100% from the marketing department.
if super uber level hifi products are disqualified by market speak, they are all disqualified. airplanes, sailboats, cars and watches too. Nordost is neither the first nor the worst.

there is no new level. it's just how things are.

TLi

May 27, 2016
Please don't discredit a HiFi product just based on its price. If that is the case, almost all audio components should be condemned. To most people, HiFi equipment is all over-priced.

I ordered two Odin Gold 20A power cords for my Constellation Hercules II monoblocks. Gold gives a warmer sound. It improves the Odin 2 sound which often is a little too bright. In this weekend, I borrow a 15A Odin Gold power cord from local dealer to try on my Altair II preamp as well. The Altair II is using Odin 2 PC already, a direct shootout will be interesting and shall report here when I have a conclusion.

Audio cable is a strange business. I have a full set of dCS Vivaldi, the cables used to contact them up cost more than the Vivaldi, 15 cables together. If external 10 MHz reference clock is used, which I did, it is 17 cables. Without good cables, the system does not sound that good. The same applies to speaker cables and others. I made most cable purchase after careful audition which often included home audition.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Personally, I consider power and cables to be the foundation for a stereo. A good foundation will allow any gear to work at its best. Of course, some gear is better than others, but all gear works better on a good foundation. Whether a $30K cable is 6 times better than a $5K cable is another issue.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing