I've been reading lots in the magazines about the J. Sikora tables - any actual owners here who care to share their thoughts?

MortenB

Jul 12, 2019
Aarhus, Denmark
I used to own this very same version of the standard max and absolutely loved it. The looks are just great - better than the Reference that I ended up purchasing. Save for a great deal on a reference, I would still own this one (although the Reference did lift the SQ quite noticeably - you could tell they were from the same family, but the Reference wins to my ear in the SQ category).
Interesting and thank you for your post. You’re the first owner I have heard from who has experience with both the Standard MAX and the Reference. With the difference in price the Reference should be better on sound quality..! On the other hand I have hear dealers mention, that they are very, very hard pressed to hear the difference between the two.

For me the Reference is out of my budget, actually even the Standard MAX was out of my budget, so it’s a non issue for me, if the Reference is better. I hope it is :) I’m just very pleased with my Standard MAX, especially since it’s the version with the alu-brass base and motor pod’s no longer made.

I installed a The Wand - 12” Master Series tonearm recently and I’m quite impressed with that on the Sikora.

Attachments

• DSCF0056.jpeg
    DSCF0056.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 20
  • _DSF3909.jpeg
    _DSF3909.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 20

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
The difference in SQ was significant for me, but likely not enough to justify the jump up in retail price to the reference (without having gotten the demo deal that I got). I have also heard, but do not know, that the silver/brass tables are closer in SQ to the reference than the normal Standard Max - that could be just puffery, but I have heard that.

MortenB

Jul 12, 2019
Aarhus, Denmark
Thanks again, I much appreciate your inputs on SQ as this has been a bit of an unknown to me.

Using different metals as resonance control is sort of a Sikora trademark, as you also know from the Reference where several different metals are used. From what I understand the best sounding Standard MAX is the discontinued version with alu-brass sandwich plint and pods. I’ve been told to hold on to mine, and I will

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
That is good advice. I wish they'd come out with that same model for the reference (although I couldn't afford it).

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
That is good advice. I wish they'd come out with that same model for the reference (although I couldn't afford it).
I have the J Sikora Standard Turntable with the KV 1200 12 inch tonearm.
Very happy with it.
It replaced my SME 20/3 and SME V tonearm which was very good, but too dark sounding for my tastes.
The Sikora is more revealing and agile.
Initially, I struggled with the unipivot tonearm but but it was just a case of getting used to it.
I had already the Stillpoints LP V2 record clamp and though I started with the Sikora one, when I swapped it for the Stillpoints the latter was significantly better.
I think they are a great buy and the sound quality is superior to many similarly and above priced alternatives

Reactions: MJG and No Regrets

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Can some who owns a Standard Max measure the horizontal distance between the left and right footer on the isolation platform? Based on the plinth specs (24" wide) my concern is that the footers will not fit on my 21" wide HRS isolation base.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Seems like a good thread to ask… what is the design philosophy of having so many motors? Even distribution of belt tension around the platter? How do the motors stay sync’d? Are they servo contolled? Happy to be educated pros and cons. Thanks.

Reactions: No Regrets

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Seems like a good thread to ask… what is the design philosophy of having so many motors? Even distribution of belt tension around the platter? How do the motors stay sync’d? Are they servo contolled? Happy to be educated pros and cons. Thanks.
These are excellent questions to ask...unfortunately, I do not have the answers for you.

Although, what I can say is, that I truly felt that the system at Axpona last year that used the Reference table/KVMax arm, along with the Doshi tubed electronics and Joseph Audio Graphene Pearl speakers reproduced the best sound by far of the entire show, imho.

The Reference had a solidity and foundation to the music that I did not hear elsewhere. Not only that, but the dynamics were explosive, the texture of the music was tactile and had real presence! No hint of wow/flutter, no mis-timing of the music at all. If I had the cash, I would have bought the entire system on display, just as it was.... it was that nice! I spent a few hours each day of the 3 day show listening to that system... I couldn't get enough of it! I hit all the other top high end vinyl rooms as well. Some were nice, others not so much (maybe due to the limitations of the room they were in) but none of the other room's music connected with me in such an emotional and visceral way in which the J. Sikora Reference room did. I'll be attending AXPONA again in April and we'll see if it makes the same kind of impact on me as it did last year... looking forward to it either way though.

I don't understand everything that Sikora is doing with this design, but it certainly is working well to my ears. If I decide to get a end game turntable, the Reference will likely be it.

Best wishes to all,
Don

Last edited:
Reactions: MJG

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Can some who owns a Standard Max measure the horizontal distance between the left and right footer on the isolation platform? Based on the plinth specs (24" wide) my concern is that the footers will not fit on my 21" wide HRS isolation base.
See my earlier post on my view of the turntable and the KV tonearm
On my Sikora standard there are three isolation supports in a triangular configuration and the distance between the left hand centre one and the right hand ones is 22.7" so yes your HRS base is too small.
Perhaps a breadboard/bamboo on top of your HRS base would do the trick?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
See my earlier post on my view of the turntable and the KV tonearm
On my Sikora standard there are three isolation supports in a triangular configuration and the distance between the left hand centre one and the right hand ones is 22.7" so yes your HRS base is too small.
Perhaps a breadboard/bamboo on top of your HRS base would do the trick?

That is one way to do it. If I end up buying one of these I may get a 19x23 or 25 platform.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
That is one way to do it. If I end up buying one of these I may get a 19x23 or 25 platform.
Yes that's another option.
You may also find it helpful to know that I have found that the Stillpoints V2 record clamp is clearly superior to the stock Sikora clamp.Doesn't look as good so the latter is on when TT not in use and I put the Stillpoints one on when playing a record.

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
I have both the Standard Max (with KV12 Max) and the Reference (Kuzma Safir 9). I could have easily lived with the Standard Max, but I could not resist getting the Reference which is clearly the better turntable - not by a huge margin, but quite simply the more convincing overall package with more authority and transparency than the Standard Max. As for price-performance ratio the Standard Max is the way to go.

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
IMG_9936.jpeg

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
IMG_9935.jpeg

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
What a great looking table :cool:
You are truly blessed to be able to have this and the Reference!

Best wishes,
Don
Thank you, yes, I feel very privileged!

• Love

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
@MJG Two beautiful tables. Aside from the sonic differences, are there any usability differences between the table or are they similar to use, including setting up the cartridges?

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
@MJG Two beautiful tables. Aside from the sonic differences, are there any usability differences between the table or are they similar to use, including setting up the cartridges?
From my experience hardly any difference, very similar in every respect, easy to use and set up

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
From my experience hardly any difference, very similar in every respect, easy to use and set up
I'm curious...
Are there any special needs or concerns as to what you sit either turntable on in regards to footfall or any other types of vibrations?

What have you been using for equipment stands or turntable stands, etc that has worked well with your Sikora turntables?
Also what kind of floor is in your listening room? Suspended wooded floors or concrete, etc?

Thank you and best wishes,
Don

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
I'm curious...
Are there any special needs or concerns as to what you sit either turntable on in regards to footfall or any other types of vibrations?

What have you been using for equipment stands or turntable stands, etc that has worked well with your Sikora turntables?
Also what kind of floor is in your listening room? Suspended wooded floors or concrete, etc?

Thank you and best wishes,
Don
Hi Don
As far as I can tell there are no special needs, I suppose mainly due to the actual weight of both Standard Max and Reference. They both sit on standard tables without any additional treatment. Wooden floor in both rooms, laid directly on concrete.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing